General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Areo Mount Water Bottle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-05 2:02 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Areo Mount Water Bottle
Hi all, question...

I had an aero mounted water bottle put on my tri bike a few years ago and really like drinking from the straw during races. The bottle is a Speedfil and the mount is x-lab. It was an expensive set up and at the time I thought, well I will have this forever so it is one of those things that is worth the investment. Well, the Speedfill has always leaked where the 2 pieces connect and I've had to duct tape the bottom. Now, my issue is that the straw, deep into the speedfill bottle and the mouthpiece connected to the straw that you bite on to use the straw looks to have mold or something gross. I am not sure if this can be cleaned. Any suggestions?

If I replace the speedfill, looking into the x-lab torpedo, will that fit with my current mount? My bike buddy has a bottle cage attached to the mount bc the speedfill was moving so much while I rode.

2016-05-05 6:27 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Subject: RE: Areo Mount Water Bottle

THe A2 was notorious for leaking, they actually replaced my bottle top when I complained.

Yeah, you have to clean the mouthpiece really well or you will get mold.  You can get a new mouthpiece from speedfil

I recently switched to the torpedo versa, I like it better, it fee's a bit more compact and less clunky.  It comes with it's own mount so you jettison the old one, not sure about the regular torpedo.  But it uses a standard torpedo cage, so that should all be the same and you can fit a regular water bottle in there. 

2016-05-06 6:12 AM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
Just bought a Torpedo System 100 a few months ago. I have had good luck with it so far, only issue I had was my bike computer which is mounted in front of the bottle. I like the placement there but it was rattling. However, I took care of it with some black duct tape (Duct tape fixes everything). Also no leaking to speak of with this system.
2016-05-06 10:26 AM
in reply to: Bocrunning

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Thanks guys. My bike buddy super glued my cateye to the top of my speedfill!

I can, uh look the other way with the funk in the bottom of my speedfill bottle but the mouthpiece is too much for me to take. I might just replace that for now. The bummer is that none of my local bike shops carry this stuff, so I would have to order it online.

If I do replace everything, are folks happy with the torpedo? Is the difference between the 400 and the 100 how it is mounted? I like the mouthpiece from a functional standpoint but how do you prevent the mold?

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. My local bike shops are less into tri gear...
2016-05-06 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by NurseHeather Thanks guys. My bike buddy super glued my cateye to the top of my speedfill! I can, uh look the other way with the funk in the bottom of my speedfill bottle but the mouthpiece is too much for me to take. I might just replace that for now. The bummer is that none of my local bike shops carry this stuff, so I would have to order it online. If I do replace everything, are folks happy with the torpedo? Is the difference between the 400 and the 100 how it is mounted? I like the mouthpiece from a functional standpoint but how do you prevent the mold? Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. My local bike shops are less into tri gear...

The mouthpiece is cheap and ships fast.  You can use the one from the Speedfil in the Xlab torpedos, that's what I am using.   You really need to clean it out ASAP after using.   You can get a toothbrush in there if you squeeze the mouthpiece and create an opening, but honestly just get a new one, I basically do every season.

100 vs. 400, i don't really know what the differences are, other than the 400 has a computer mount integrated, for the 100 it's an optional extra (also.... may not work with all computers, i have a garmin with disconnect).   the 400 is awesome so far.   I also like that the mount is very easy to remove, for cleaning sports drink that slopped over onto aero bars etc.   With the speedfil that was more of a chore. 

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-06 1:01 PM
2016-05-07 2:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I picked up a profile design aero hc bottle last year.

A friend of mine had picked up one, and the mount for it ( which has a computer mount ) and I loved it!

I ended up just buying the bottle, and zip tying a bottle cage between my aero bars myself, then fashioned a computer mount in a similar position, but instead of payint $80 for the setup, I paid $45 for the bottle.

Easily cleans out, and the straw looks easily replaceable with a flexible commercial tubing too if it comes to that.

2016-05-07 2:13 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
I typically just have a normal water bottle up front on it too, but in a triathlon where I'll be needing to drink and stay in aero, I'll throw the stray bottle on too.

I thought about fashioning my own bottle for it, but didn't have time to come up with something.
2016-05-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Call Speedfill, they will work with you to find a solution to the problem. More then likely, they'll replace the top (and of course the gasket).

To clean the tube, take the bit valve out and soak it in soapy water for a day, then scrub it clean. To clean the tube, pour soapy water in one end then swoosh it back and forth until clean. Rinse well and let it hang dry for a couple of days. You can also buy the tube brush from Speedfill to get it really clean.

Most important is to to rinse it clean after you use it and take it apart to dry. Especially if you have any kind of sports drink (the sugar makes for a great growing ground for the bacteria and mold)

Edited by audiojan 2016-05-09 8:27 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Areo Mount Water Bottle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

handlebar mounted water bottles

Started by susan reiziss
Views: 1323 Posts: 5

2012-04-27 11:01 AM cxk9758

areo bar water bottle

Started by jmac
Views: 803 Posts: 4

2009-08-20 6:09 PM jvanis

Water Bottle Seat Mount for Cannondale Slice?

Started by swingley
Views: 1375 Posts: 1

2009-06-27 10:39 PM swingley

Gel-Bot - Water Bottle that holds Gel & Water

Started by rjmonahan
Views: 792 Posts: 2

2006-08-20 9:03 PM watsonrm

Xlab rear mounted bottle holder system...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1436 Posts: 18

2006-04-04 4:28 PM Stake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.