General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's Race Kit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-05 9:45 PM

Subject: Women's Race Kit
Hi all!

Trying to decide on some new gear for this season. I've narrowed it down to 2 companies I like. I'm working on getting to the retail locations so I can actually try them on (as fit/comfort will be the ultimate factor), but given that the 2 brands are equal, I'm searching for opinions from your experiences.

I am torn between Soas and Coeur Sports. Want to know your thoughts on long term comfort (I'll be doing an ironman this year), fit, and general opinions on either.

2016-05-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Women's Race Kit
I have a pair of Coeur Shorts - they are good, not great. Honestly my favorite shorts are an older version of De Sotos, but they don't make them anymore. The newer versions of the DeSotos are very similar to the Coeur with the full length shammy. These are the ones I used for Ironman this year and while they weren't perfect, I didn't have major issues (and I always have issues :-))!

I've tried on Soas and if I needed a new pair of shorts would probably go with them.

Another good brand would be Betty designs. I tried on a friends kit and they were certainly comfy, but I didn't ride in them.

Definitely find a place to try them on, luckily one of our tri stores here stocks the Soas and DeSotos regularly.
2016-08-04 11:51 AM

Hi. It's Kebby (using Charlotte's log in) with Coeur Sports. I just wanted to chime in and say that there are a lot of good brands out there and the ones named all have good gear. I don't want to bore anyone with too many details, but (in our opinion), the main things are

(1) The fit. This tends to be a very personal/subjective decision since some like longer inseams, some like shorter, some companies use European (e.g. smaller) sizing etc.
(2) The pad/chamois. On a longer race like your 70.3, a tiny bit of irritation can become a big deal (#Noangrykitty)
(3) The seams. Flatlock (where the fabric doesn't overlap) is viewed as one of the best but it is a more expensive stitch.

Again, there are a lot of good options out there. Also, good luck at Super Frog! That is such an iconic race. We hope you have a fantastic day!

Kebby
https://www.coeursports.com/
2016-08-04 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Women's Race Kit
I have a Coeur kit, and I like it quite a bit! I don't do anywhere near the length cycling you do, though, so my thoughts on long haul comfort may not be as applicable. That being said, I haven't had any chafing or bad spots, and I find it generally more comfortable that my Zoot. I'm riding up to about 20-25 miles, and I don't need ANY kind of lube or chamois cream. This is after needing to coat myself with my previous shorts. There are three little pockets in the shorts, about the right size for lip balm or keys. They don't pinch at the waist or legs, and they aren't sheer.
I really like the 8" tri short, as I find that the 5" is a bit short for me. I actually get a bit of thigh rub from where my leg hits the top tube. #toomanygummybears If all their designs came in 8" I would be an awful lot poorer, I can tell you that.

As for the top, its as good as its going to get. I have yet to find any kind of tri top that doesn't creep up on me, but at least the Coeur top only creeps to the waistband of the shorts, instead of clear up past my belly button. I like the pockets for holding my phone or food when on the bike, but find that stuff bounces around too much for my liking when running.

I haven't tried Soas. I've heard good things about Desoto. I'm particularly eyeing all their sun shield stuff, after getting a rather spectacular burn a few weeks ago. Good luck!
2016-08-04 2:15 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

Hi Laura! Thank you for the kind words and the feedback. We are actually working on more 8" Tri Shorts in new designs. We hope you have a great rest of your season. By the way, we clicked on your blog and love it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's Race Kit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

women's crit racing?!

Started by blahblahblalice
Views: 3644 Posts: 6

2010-07-05 10:33 AM dredwards

Philly Women's Race this weekend

Started by Miss_Bethy
Views: 790 Posts: 4

2007-07-06 6:51 AM PollyC

BT Women's day at the races

Started by TriMom217
Views: 781 Posts: 2

2006-07-09 8:12 PM em73

BT-er wins 1st overall in women's race!

Started by max
Views: 1245 Posts: 11

2006-05-23 10:38 PM TH3_FRB

ALL WOMEN'S ADVENTURE RACE

Started by cycle01
Views: 700 Posts: 3

2003-10-02 8:52 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : September 10, 2007
author : tripastor
comments : 2
Triathlon serves up many humbling moments. The most humbling of days came not during a race day but by email. I had been invited to participate in the Rambling Rose Women’s Only Triathlon. Wow.