General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injury advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-06 1:22 AM

User image

Subject: injury advice.
Looking for some insight... Entering my 5th tri season, three weeks out from my first of three races this year and I tore my hamstring during my softball game tonight. I am quite ticked at myself because I was running late, and didn't do my normal stretching routine. So here I am sulking on the couch, wondering how to maintain some training when I can barely walk? I have fought through aches and pains before, but this is way beyond anything I have dealt with.

Any advice???

2016-05-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: petersco1227

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: injury advice.
I wouldn't worry about training for the next few days. Just protect that leg as much as possible and let it heal up. You'll probably need to reevaluate it after that to see where you are. Hopefully it is a mild strain and you can get back up and moving in the next week. However, if it is severe you may need to go to a sports doctor to get some much better advice. I'm thinking that you are probably out for the race in three weeks. If you are in your 5th season you've probably built a strong base and will be able to come back fairly quickly after you're healed up. Don't rush back too soon.

Hope it heals up quickly.
2016-05-06 7:33 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If you actually tore a hamstring, you need to go see a Dr.

Any advise should come from him, I think they have to do surgery to fix a torn hamstring. I don't believe that would heal correctly on its own.
2016-05-06 8:02 AM
in reply to: #5180482

User image

Mike,you are right, it's not torn. I ment to type pulled.
2016-05-06 8:08 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by petersco1227

Mike,you are right, it's not torn. I ment to type pulled.

Have you tried swimming with it? If it doesn't hurt sounds like its time for a serious swim block. If it does hurt try with a pull buoy, and if that hurts it sounds like its time for some RnR. I have no experience so maybe there are some PT ways to get back faster, but I don't know.
2016-05-06 2:14 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I would also do whatever you can for core strengthening (that doesn't aggravate it).   Not training PLUS couch recovery will be a killer for your overall strength and you'll feel it later in all three sports.   

2016-05-06 5:18 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Scottsdale, AZ
Hamstrings are tricky and it depends on where it was pulled. I would get to see a good PT and have them give you some ideas what is safe/unsafe and how to stay active while it heals.
2016-05-07 6:23 AM
in reply to: #5180501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I'm in a similar situation with IT band issues of my left leg/knee area. Been about a month now. I love to run and this has really bothered me to the core! Been foam rolling a TON! It's getting better but extremely slowly. For a guy who's likes to run well over a 100+ miles a month it sucks... On a good note I've been riding a lot more and swimming more.
2016-05-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

For the hammy I would also try spinning easy. The limited range of motion and controlled environment might let you keep your sanity without losing too much fitness. Obviously stop if it causes increased pain, but I suspect that easy spinning might actually help.

As for the IT band issue, I'm gonna preach some more of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcy3dPf__MIt worked for me when my IT band reduced me to a hobbling walk for 10 miles in a marathon last fall. Found this video after the painful race, and it brought me back to pain free running within a couple weeks. Ran another marathon 4 weeks ago with a 10min+ PR time of 3:24, and running another in 2 weeks (shooting for 3:15, I think it's there if I can ever figure out my fueling). No IT issues through this entire training cycle
2016-05-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

If you actually tore a hamstring, you need to go see a Dr.

Any advise should come from him, I think they have to do surgery to fix a torn hamstring. I don't believe that would heal correctly on its own.

agreed. a pulled muscle would be one thing. but if you think you tore something, you should go get it checked out by a pro.
2016-05-07 7:23 PM
in reply to: velocache

User image

Extreme Veteran
From what I understand it's the transition to the activity is more important than stretching. If you are too aggressive with stretching it just makes the muscle mad and makes it more likely to be injured. As some previous posters have mentioned, there is a big difference between a torn muscle and simply a strained one. If it's "strained" a gentle eccentric loading program can be helpful. Try to run upright and don't over stride. Keep your speed down and try not to collide with the ground when you land. If it's strained it will take about 3 to 6 weeks to ease off. Try to keep up activity as tolerated. If you tore it, you are SOL. It can take 6 months to heal.

2016-05-08 7:51 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Nick B
If you are in your 5th season you've probably built a strong base and will be able to come back fairly quickly after you're healed up. Don't rush back too soon.

+1, Look, triathlon=training and training=potential of injury. If you are injured, you need to heal, not continue to train like you are not injured. This means you *might* have to rethink a race schedule that was developed before you injured yourself. My 2 cents worth.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injury advice. Rss Feed