General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTA Bottle mount solutions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-06 9:40 AM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Subject: BTA Bottle mount solutions.
Happy Friday!

I'm looking for a good BTW (Between the Aerobars) bottle mount system to use with my TriMax bars. I currently have the Profile HC which is okay, but I really need an out front computer mount. The HC mount is really far back required you to leave the bars. Learning to train with power, so I need to see the computer more frequently.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Lori Groat.

2016-05-06 11:49 AM
in reply to: lmihalcik

User image

DC
Subject: RE: BTA Bottle mount solutions.
Just got the Profile "HC Hydration System." Problem solved (& it looks way cooler.... super important).
2016-05-06 12:53 PM

User image

I was using the speedfil A2 and Z4 with computer mount and  didn't like having to look down to see the computer.

I'm not an xlab fanboy or an early adopter, but recently picked up the new Xlab torpedo versa, got discount over a sale price so it was a killer deal.  Puts the computer right out in front of the bottle where I can easily see it in aero.   And doesn't lea like the speedfil did.

2016-05-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a simple cage zip tied between the bars.  Bar Fly aero for my Edge 510.

http://www.amazon.com/Aero-Bicycle-Computer-Mount-Garmin/dp/B009PLOBQE/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1462558095&sr=1-9&keywords=bar+fly

Edited by GAUG3 2016-05-06 1:09 PM
2016-05-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Exton, PA
I have the x-lab torpedo which puts the computer mount out front. The mount is great can see it in aero easily, the rest of the system I would say is fair.

The new Profile FC also puts the computer out front and seems to be a nicer unit. If I were buying today I would buy the FC.
2016-05-06 1:45 PM

User image

DC
Originally posted by ChrisM

I was using the speedfil A2 and Z4 with computer mount and  didn't like having to look down to see the computer.

I'm not an xlab fanboy or an early adopter, but recently picked up the new Xlab torpedo versa, got discount over a sale price so it was a killer deal.  Puts the computer right out in front of the bottle where I can easily see it in aero.   And doesn't lea like the speedfil did.

Looks like the functional equivalent of the Profile "HC Hydration System." They look equally functional (and again... cool).

2016-05-06 2:42 PM

User image

Originally posted by Porfirio

Looks like the functional equivalent of the Profile "HC Hydration System." They look equally functional (and again... cool).

Looks like the PD wouldn't allow a regular bottle up front.   The Xlab has that.   To be honest I never looked at the PD and this wasn't a factor in my buying choice (mostly based on $) although I like that ability.  And the PD has a little storage area behind the bottle, Xlab doesn't

Other than those difference, pretty similar in form and function

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-06 2:44 PM
2016-05-09 7:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Looks like the PD wouldn't allow a regular bottle up front.   The Xlab has that.   To be honest I never looked at the PD and this wasn't a factor in my buying choice (mostly based on $) although I like that ability.  And the PD has a little storage area behind the bottle, Xlab doesn't

I think you guys are talking about the FC not the HC?
The Profile Design has a better mounting system than the x-labs does(I have the x-labs) I have to use zip ties to mount the x-labs, the Velcro they supply won't get tight enough to stop it from bouncing bad enough that you can't read you computer most of the time.
2016-05-09 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I "like" my X-Lab BTA system (I bought the tri sports version), but I don't love it. For one, I wish it would accommodate a larger bottle (I'll have to refill it a couple times for a HIM). Second, it is a minor PITA to secure it (though I haven't tried zip ties).

If you can find a system that has multiple capacities (different bottles), I'd go that route.

Good luck.
2016-05-09 8:36 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

, North Carolina
Trisports has their own combo system that has the mounting bracket and out front computer mount. They have one that you add your own bottle cage and one that uses an XLab cage. They also have one that comes with the Xlab torpedo. If it were me I'd just go for the cheapest one and add my own cage. Of course... I need a dedicated Bike computer first... right now I just use my Garmin 310 and flip it around backwards on my wrist.

http://www.trisports.com/trisports-torpedo-bta-mount-100.html

http://www.trisports.com/trisports-torpedo-bta-mount-150.html

I've got 20% discount codes for trisports (They're a sponsor). I'll PM you one and anyone can PM me if they want one too.
2016-05-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by nc452010

I "like" my X-Lab BTA system (I bought the tri sports version), but I don't love it. For one, I wish it would accommodate a larger bottle (I'll have to refill it a couple times for a HIM). Second, it is a minor PITA to secure it (though I haven't tried zip ties).

If you can find a system that has multiple capacities (different bottles), I'd go that route.

Good luck.

Yup the zip ties work pretty good, just remember to replace the zip ties every 2 to 3 months as they fatigue and will snap(don't ask how I know )

I will probably go with t he profile Design FC model next, they have 2 sizes 25oz and 35oz. The mount is better, the refill cap seems to be much better; the only real negative(if you can call it that) is that it does not hold a regular bottle.

2016-05-09 9:18 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I ran a basic zip tie set up for 3 years and it worked ok. I could never figure out a great way to mount my computer (Fenix 3). This year I finally bought a Zipp Vuka Alumina BTA Mount V2, w/Quickview set up and have to say that it's great. It is much better, simpler and sturdy than my own set up. I think it looks alot cleaner too.
2016-05-09 12:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by mike761

I think you guys are talking about the FC not the HC? The Profile Design has a better mounting system than the x-labs does(I have the x-labs) I have to use zip ties to mount the x-labs, the Velcro they supply won't get tight enough to stop it from bouncing bad enough that you can't read you computer most of the time.

I don't know which one, I just googled it quickly as I am not familiar with them.  I actually have whatever the latest Xlab is, I think the Versa 500.  I wouldn't normally pay that much for a BTA system but a tri sports sale and a sponsor discount code brought it well under $100 so gave it a shot

My most important "wants" were:

-ability to use a regular bottle - This is very important to me and IMO would be a huge negative for my riding, I cut the straw to be used in aero so if I am doing a ride with lots of climbing, which I do often, I need to be able to have a bottle I can drink from without being in aero.  Being able to pull out a regular bottle is very important

-better placement of the computer - The A2/Z4 combo put the computer too far back for my liking and I found myself having to look "down" to see it.  THe 500 puts it right in front of me

-ease of mounting and removal - I do all sorts of races, including sprints where I don't want the BTA system on, and also for cleaning, I find with the straw systems the drink invariably gets on teh stem area and gets pretty sticky if I don't clean it.  With the speedfil I'd have to cut off the zip ties.to remove it and/or clean it fully.   With the 500 I just pop it off.  I have not had the movement issue with the 500 that is described, it's pretty solid once the clamps are on the bars and the velcro is strapped tight.

Up to HIM i don't have a need to refill as I use a concentrated nutrition source so one bottle lasts me the entire bike leg.

So far so good in some long rides and an HIM on some bumpy roads.  YMMV, IMO, etc......

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-09 12:01 PM
2016-05-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Thanks everyone for the inputs. Very helpful.

Originally posted by dprocket

I ran a basic zip tie set up for 3 years and it worked ok. I could never figure out a great way to mount my computer (Fenix 3). This year I finally bought a Zipp Vuka Alumina BTA Mount V2, w/Quickview set up and have to say that it's great. It is much better, simpler and sturdy than my own set up. I think it looks alot cleaner too.

I was considering this as I think I could still use my Profile HC with it, but I have a 910XT which I believe won't mount, or will mount sideways if it does. I really really hate to have to buy an Edge. If it had a universal mount, I could buy a less pricey ANT+ bike computer to use.

I guess I need to spend a little more time looking at everyone's comments etc...

2016-05-09 1:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by lmihalcik Thanks everyone for the inputs. Very helpful.
Originally posted by dprocket I ran a basic zip tie set up for 3 years and it worked ok. I could never figure out a great way to mount my computer (Fenix 3). This year I finally bought a Zipp Vuka Alumina BTA Mount V2, w/Quickview set up and have to say that it's great. It is much better, simpler and sturdy than my own set up. I think it looks alot cleaner too.
I was considering this as I think I could still use my Profile HC with it, but I have a 910XT which I believe won't mount, or will mount sideways if it does. I really really hate to have to buy an Edge. If it had a universal mount, I could buy a less pricey ANT+ bike computer to use. I guess I need to spend a little more time looking at everyone's comments etc...

If you have a quick release on the 910 it will work, the mount is the same on the Edge and the 910.   If you look at pics there are two little screws in the mount, you can (if it's anything like the one I have, and looks exactly the same), you can remove the screws and turn the mount any way you want

2016-05-09 3:18 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Thanks Chris!
I'd read that it wouldn't work with the 910! That's looking like a good, affordable option.

2016-05-09 3:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by lmihalcik Thanks Chris! I'd read that it wouldn't work with the 910! That's looking like a good, affordable option.

Hmm, quick google search looks like there maybe some issues, don't take my word for it     But I imagine there may be some affordable options similar to the quickview that would hold a 910....

2016-05-09 3:46 PM

User image

For the computer mount, I just use a Profile Design universal computer mount and put it up all the way forward on my aero bars.  I have to remove the bar tape and wrap it again around the mount but it ends up looking very clean and pretty much as far forward as I want it.  Because the computer also sits between my hands, it's easy to swap screens or press lap buttons without completely taking my hand or elbow off the bars.

2016-05-10 7:27 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I had the same challenge, but found a really good workaround. Speedfill Z4/A2 mounted under the aerobars with a Garmin computer mount zip tied to the top of the cage. Let's the see the computer at any time with minimal head movement and puts the fluid exactly where I need it.
2016-05-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Zip tied cage. Mounted low. Zip tied a plastic pvc pipe, cut to size, between aero bars with enough room that I can get a big bottle in and out without hitting computer. Really solid, nothing wiggles or vibrates, and I can still use Xlab or Profile bottles.
2016-05-10 1:57 PM
in reply to: mjbinky

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Originally posted by mjbinky

Zip tied cage. Mounted low. Zip tied a plastic pvc pipe, cut to size, between aero bars with enough room that I can get a big bottle in and out without hitting computer. Really solid, nothing wiggles or vibrates, and I can still use Xlab or Profile bottles.

Wondering if this could work for me. It seems like the profile HC bottle takes up so much realestate that I couldn't fit my computer between the bars.

2016-05-10 2:01 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Originally posted by audiojan

I had the same challenge, but found a really good workaround. Speedfill Z4/A2 mounted under the aerobars with a Garmin computer mount zip tied to the top of the cage. Let's the see the computer at any time with minimal head movement and puts the fluid exactly where I need it.

Very interesting..under the aerobars...how did you do that? Yet another economical option. Liking "economical" right now, just survived financing a wedding.... Kids...don't they realize that they could have had 2 nice carbon bikes instead??
2016-05-10 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The Speedfill Z4 is mounted with zip ties, so just mounted it under the aerobars instead of on top of. Then used the zip tie garmin quarter turn mount and zip tied that to the Z4. Works great. Easy to see the computer (since I mount it exactly where it makes the most sense) and the added benefit of the bottle being away from the area where my forearms are (which is actually how the entire thing started...). The bottle fills in the space nicely under the bars, so no aerodynamic penalty to speak of.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTA Bottle mount solutions. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bottle mounted in the areo bars question?

Started by CRunner10
Views: 1207 Posts: 13

2010-06-08 12:40 PM Doughboy

Torpedo Mount vs. Aero Bottle

Started by Houstonrider
Views: 4260 Posts: 12

2010-04-03 5:33 PM Experior

Water bottle mount

Started by yorkee
Views: 1185 Posts: 12

2009-11-11 11:45 AM jkholden

Suggestions on rear mounted water bottle holders

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 1925 Posts: 16

2009-05-08 4:35 PM guncollector

Rear mounting or aero bottles

Started by rumphalina
Views: 937 Posts: 7

2006-04-27 7:02 PM awol
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 0
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300

date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.