General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left ventricular hypertrophy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-06 11:36 AM

Subject: Left ventricular hypertrophy
Hi I've just been told I have this and to restrict exercise until results of x ray come through,then apparently I may need scan.
My first HIM is in 3 weeks, anyone experienced this? Apparently there is chance can develop from exercise

2016-05-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: loops

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Left ventricular hypertrophy

There can be different causes, both good & bad.

I developed left ventricular hypertrophy as a result of a leaky congenital bicuspid aortic valve. I was in the early stages of congestive heart failure when I had the valve replaced with a mechanical valve.  That was 15 years ago and the enlargement corrected itself withing 18 months post-op.  With my doctor's approval I did my first triathlon 36 months after my surgery. 

Since then my heart has "re-mapped" itself as the result of all my aerobic triathlon training and I now have an enlarged "athlete's heart" with an associated lower resting heart rate in the high 40's.

I undergo annual echo-cardiograms with  my cardiologist.

My best advice would be to follow the recommendations of your doctor until you know for sure what is going on.

Best wishes,

Mark

2016-05-06 3:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Mark has a good story. There are many causes. Benign athletes heart is certianly one of them. but there are others that can idnicate a problem that has to be addressed (like Marks) and some that must be ecluted before continuing anything that elevates your HR.

Forget about the 3 weeks to HIM right now, and see if you can expedite the tests...if for no other reason so you can resume training safely ASAP.
2016-05-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5180537

Thanks, as I suspected not good news to have
2016-05-08 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
LVH is not the same as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is much, much worse to have

see what your doctor says and abide by the advice given, but I have many, many patients with LVH who are active and participating in running/triathlon/tennis etc. My pts with HCM, are not allowed vigorous exercise at all...

LVH is a think heart muscle-often from hypertension, sometimes from valve disease or something else. Get it checked out and then you'll know what you can do, or not do

Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left ventricular hypertrophy Rss Feed