General Discussion Triathlon Talk » extra heavy long distance driver needs advice on wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-07 2:25 PM

Subject: extra heavy long distance driver needs advice on wheels
I weigh over 300 pounds and I drive a bicycle every day. I try to make 30 miles per day.
My bike does not make that.
I have just changed the wheels and tyres again and yes the wheel is loose and wobbling and the tyre is flat.
Can anyone advise as this is the only way for me to get into shape again.
The bike itself holds somewhat okay but the wheels tyres and tubes are a nightmare. Flat tyre every day, new inner tube every week, new outer tyre every month new wheel every 5 months but this time less than one month.
The wheels currently under the bike are normal sized. Before this I have tried mountain bike wheels with no success so I hope to stick to the normal sized ones. Racewheels look like they are going to break as soon as I lay eyes on them.
Can anyone help this big man out please?

2016-05-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: jobeh

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: extra heavy long distance driver needs advice on wheels
Let's address these issues one by one...

Wheels. Get a pair of handbuilt wheels... factory built wheels are not going to hold up. Something like a Mavic Open Pro rim, 36 spokes 2x front and rear laced with high quality spokes (DT Swiss or Sapim) to an Ultegra or Dura-Ace hub.

Tires, you shouldn't wear out tires that fast... nor should you get flats that often. Get a pair of 25mm Continental Gatorskin tires (unless the 28mm fits your bike, then go for those) for all the daily riding and a pair of 25mm Continental GP4000S II for the races.

Tubes, don't use latex tubes, get a high quality tube from one of the major brands. Continental Race tubes work well.

Finally, keep the tire pressure correct for the road conditions, your weight and tire size. The wider the tire and the lower the pressure, the heavier the rider, the higher the pressure. Over inflating with definitely cause flats, so will under inflating. Both will cause undue tire wear.
2016-05-13 1:40 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Thank you For this BIG amount of great information.
2016-05-13 9:55 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I'd recommend a Mavic A719 rim. with 40 holes, spokes laced 3 crossed. This is a "bombproof" touring rim with reinforced eyelets. The difference between lacing 2 and 3 crossed is the radial stress on the hub is greater when laced 2 crossed; therefore, the hub is at greater risk of cracking..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » extra heavy long distance driver needs advice on wheels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long torso cycling jersey advice needed

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 977 Posts: 1

2010-06-02 8:13 PM ChineseDemocracy

Wheel set advice needed?

Started by strojny06
Views: 1553 Posts: 9

2010-05-11 9:04 PM Ridgelake

Need New Wheels....my rear wheel is thrashed!

Started by TexasHeatRunner
Views: 972 Posts: 5

2009-09-09 1:15 PM merlin2375

heavy wheel/tires for training?

Started by milhaus
Views: 524 Posts: 3

2007-04-16 3:02 PM briderdt

Wheel Size Advice (650c or 700c)

Started by charlie
Views: 2363 Posts: 11

2004-10-26 2:52 PM the bear