General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, let's try this again, shall we? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-08 2:23 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: Ok, let's try this again, shall we?
Hello there. I have been trying to get into tris for almost 3 years now. Started training in August 2013 for a sprint in May 2014, did that. Did the same event the following year and will do it again this year. Training is on and off (mainly off) and besides viruses and injuries, I have a hard time keeping motivated.
Why am I still doing this, I hear you ask? Well, it's a really good question, thank you for asking. The reason is that due to one bad knee (and a very bad other one), I can't do the sports that give me a real kick (soccer, karate to name 2) and short distance triathlon is really the only thing I have found. Plus I could do with losing some weight and the only other sport I can do, golf, is not exactly going to make me thin....

So here I am again, I have bought a proper race bike to replace my hybrid, hoping this will give me a new lease of motivation. Tried it yesterday and with no effort, I gained one mph over a 20 mile ride compared with the other bike.

The race is in 3 weeks, I just started training properly a month ago and have been sick for 2 weeks. So basically I am starting from scratch and I have 3 weeks to prepare. Wish me luck...

2016-05-08 7:23 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ok, let's try this again, shall we?
My hat is off to you. You are showing perseverance big time. It's easy to quit, harder to keep trying. It takes a lot of get a train moving, but it also takes a lot to slow it down once up to speed. I think doing Tri is sort of like that. Lots of steps and efforts needed to get it rolling but then it gets easier to keep it going. Stay with it, keep signing up for events, keep plugging away. One motivator to use can be your knees. The Drs. told me I'd need a pair of replacements. I decided to get back into Tri instead. Two years later, I can say that overall, my knees feel better than any other time in the last 30 years or so. I think the balanced training between swimming, biking and running is just of huge benefit to our bodies AND minds. Stay with it, you'll be glad every day that you do!
2016-05-08 9:27 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for you kind words Mike. I am not going to give up just yet.
2016-05-09 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5180693

Sounds like you have a very strong mental ability to persevere, along with determination. Those 2 qualities are incredibly valuable and important in triathlon and can never be underestimated.

Sounds to me like you're going to kill it!
2016-05-10 3:22 AM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks. I doubt I have these qualities but I have to do something. Racing IS fun though, it's the training I find boring
2016-05-10 7:30 AM
in reply to: #5180790

Are you on strava? Using that to track training rides gives you the ability to race against yours and others previous times on various segments of road. That's a way I mix up my training rides. I'll head out for a ride with 1 or 2 segments in mind that I'm going to go for a PR on, a little mini race against my past self (and others if it's a public segment) within each ride. I don't use strava to track runs but you can do the same with running using it. Great motivation tool to look into. If you haven't drank the strava Kool aid yet, check it out.

2016-05-10 3:37 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks, I'll check it out. Sounds interesting!
2016-05-11 2:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by PBT_2009

Are you on strava? Using that to track training rides gives you the ability to race against yours and others previous times on various segments of road. That's a way I mix up my training rides. I'll head out for a ride with 1 or 2 segments in mind that I'm going to go for a PR on, a little mini race against my past self (and others if it's a public segment) within each ride. I don't use strava to track runs but you can do the same with running using it. Great motivation tool to look into. If you haven't drank the strava Kool aid yet, check it out.

So I have joined Strava. Now how do I sync my workouts? In the mail I got from them it says "(iPhone and Android activities sync automatically after saving) .
do I have to download the app? I suppose I have to but it doesn't say anywhere.

I have Another App "runmeter" which tells me that it uploads to Strava, but I am not sure how. Sorry about the noob questions, I am not very good at this technical stuff.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, let's try this again, shall we? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

trying again: has anyone tried these cures?

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 1338 Posts: 6

2014-10-02 9:43 AM Clempson

OK....let's talk days "off" from training

Started by nc452010
Views: 1594 Posts: 18

2010-04-16 10:42 AM Apotheosis

Ok, let's talk eating on the bike.

Started by tricrazy
Views: 1640 Posts: 24

2009-01-29 10:18 AM infinIT 1

Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR Pages: 1 2

Started by CarenM
Views: 2376 Posts: 38

2006-07-21 7:40 AM justalittletri

let's give this a try...

Started by autumn
Views: 802 Posts: 10

2006-03-01 7:11 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : January 10, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
It's great to have goals, but by itself, a goal is not much. Have you ever shared with someone else that you would “try” to accomplish a goal?
date : September 14, 2004
author : DoubleDown
Can anyone think of a better way to spend Labour Day weekend than doing your first tri? Ok, maybe doing your 2nd, 3rd...50th tri...but you get my point. :)