General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-08 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Aquabike?
This winter I, according to my PT, rotated by SI joint due, in part to a chronically tight hamstring. Highly advise that you skip that injury if you have a chance, pain was pretty sporty. Took a couple of months to get back after that, had to work on lower back flexibility as part of rehab. Started running again in March but recently had a pinched nerve in my back and that messed up my walking gait and that has re-sidelined me (hope to get back to running next week). I have kept up with my swimming and biking is OK, so I suggested to a co-worker that we do a local race in Sept. Just gonna do the sprint, but I suppose I am a bit worried about unforeseen running injuries and thought a bit about the Oly-distance aquabike they run at this event. I guess I look at this as a possibility but it seems to me that at the end of this race I'd be bummed that I wasn't doing the run. I think I'd feel like I did 2/3 of a race. Others feel similarly?

2016-05-08 8:01 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Subject: RE: Aquabike?
Yes and the lower number of people competing have always kept me from trying one. From what I've seen there's usually one or two fast people who do them. At some point I'll sign up for one and I bet I'll enjoy it. If I was injuried I'd welcome the chance to do one.
2016-05-09 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I can no longer run. I could participate in Aquabikes, and have done a few, but they aren't satisfying to me. Not exactly sure why, but some ideas that it feels like a last minute add on. You always are in the last wave of the swim, you don't cross the finish line, very few participants. I wish ABs excited me like tris and kept me interested in the sport but it hasn't. I've done one AB since my last IM in 2011. I'm not fit or lean like I used to be.

Give it a try and see if you can find a way to enjoy the sport via AB.

2016-05-09 11:01 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I did one 2 years ago when I was having problems with my IT band. I signed up for the Oly tri but had to drop to the aqua-bike because I could not run.

The one I did you just finish as you crossed the mats into T2, so no finish line and it felt weird racking my bike and being done. Some of the aqua-bikes I have seen have you split at the end and go to a finish line, which at last let you and everyone else know you finished you event.

2016-05-09 1:50 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
If you can't/shouldn't run then do the Aquabike. When else can you just hammer the sh** out of the bike and not have to worry about the run after? Test yourself, see how fast you can go on the bike. Consider it a time trial with a swim warmup.
2016-05-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Originally posted by reecealan If you can't/shouldn't run then do the Aquabike. When else can you just hammer the sh** out of the bike and not have to worry about the run after? Test yourself, see how fast you can go on the bike. Consider it a time trial with a swim warmup.

This! Last year due to an injury I had to drop to the aquabike at an Olympic race I was signed up for. It was weird finishing in T2, but I rode the hell out of the bike and at least felt good about the results. Something I would normally not do with the run, but did and it was pretty fun!

2016-05-10 1:29 PM
in reply to: reecealan

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by reecealan

If you can't/shouldn't run then do the Aquabike. When else can you just hammer the sh** out of the bike and not have to worry about the run after? Test yourself, see how fast you can go on the bike. Consider it a time trial with a swim warmup.

Yes, I also like this reply. I've been told that I'll be needed a couple of new knees sometime in the future. If/when that happens I hope there are Aquabike events around for me to do.
2016-05-13 7:52 PM
in reply to: #5180742

User image

Expert
Floriduh
The more I think about this, the more I'm excited about the idea of an oly distance aqua bike. The swim will require me to focus a bit more on the pool where a sprint distance requires little. The 40k bike, if I hammer it could be as challenging as adding the run in a regular race
2016-05-15 12:04 PM
in reply to: #5181692

I've been recovering from a shattered foot.. managed to actually run despite the docs telling me I never would again at the time of injury, but it is, and probably always will be painful and slower than if the injury had never happened, which leads to frustrating races where I lead out of the water, lead off the bike, and then get blown by on the run as I hobble jog along.

Aquabikes appeal to me too for that reason. I'm still running at this point, but after the two 140.6s the wife and I are doing together next year, I'm going to most likely do more aquabikes than tris simply because the frustration will be less.

One thing that had put me off them is that the competition/participation level is pretty low. It's one thing if you want to cherrypick an easy posium from an AG consisting of 2 people, but if you like competition, it's a little dissapointing. However, if you pock the right races, there seems to be a lot more people doing it these days
2016-05-17 2:51 PM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
I was all signed up for an olympic triathlon, and an 8k run a week ago, and i developed some pretty painful swelling on the top of my right foot. Maybe tendonitis? Anyways, I've missed a lot of run training time because of it, so I'm switching to the Aqua bike. I'm actually considering doing the aqua bike in penticton next year. Instead of focussing on it not being a big finish at the end and doing a "triathlon" I'm going to look at it as a time trial sort of thing. I'm going to see how hard I can actually push on the bike, because I don't have to worry about the run after! How awesome is that!? I always seem to hurt myself training for runs...as much as I love them...I'm becoming pretty excited about aqua bike events. I can still participate, stay healthy, lose some weight, and say I still accomplished something at the end of the day. Have fun out there!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aquabike vs HIM in IM training plan

Started by irondreams
Views: 1538 Posts: 8

2009-04-04 5:39 PM Daremo

Aquabike (swim-bike) races Pages: 1 2

Started by newbie7455
Views: 8283 Posts: 26

2007-09-07 6:53 AM run joe run

AquaBike