General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salty Sweaters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-09 7:38 PM

Subject: Salty Sweaters
So I think I'm a fairly salty sweater. Salty residue on face post training. I'm hoping to fuel with Gatorade endurance and gu gels and have started practicing with that. My question is if other salty sweaters add salt tablets or other in addition to something like Gatorade endurance.
Thx
-Patrick

2016-05-10 4:11 AM
in reply to: PRHTri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Salty Sweaters
Not a particularly salty sweater but I do have a pretty high sweat rate and train and race mostly in REALLY hot/humid conditions so overall I am losing a lot of salt. I use mostly Nuun for hydration as one tablet has 720 mg (I think) of sodium. Another really helpful product are some of the PowerBar gus, which have 200 mg of sodium. That is quite a bit higher than most gels. They also have a thin texture which is easy to get down. For HIM distance, I have a kind of unorthodox nutrition strategy that works for me--for the first hour I eat a bar of dark chocolate (in increments of 2-3 pieces every 20-30 minutes) that I've broken into pieces and rolled in sea salt. Sounds disgusting but it tastes good and works for me.

There are other products you can use like Base Salts (tablets or a lickable stick) to replace salt, but I have not found them anywhere in SE Asia. Might try those in the future for longer races in the tropics.
2016-05-10 6:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
ETA I have the chocolate with salt for about the first 2 to 2 1/2 hours on the bike. When it's gone or melted into unmanageable goo, I go to gels (in recent races, that's been one in the last 20-30 minutes of the bike). Gu only on the run, preferably the Power Bar kind with sodium, plus Nuun (it's 360 mg a tablet, not 720; still the highest of most commercially available electrolyte tabs.) I've never used salt tabs, and never ended up in the med tent or serious cramping with this approach. For my HIM on Sunday, I did a 5:31 in temps that reached about 90 degrees and 90%+ humidity on the run using this "system". Not sure about others but it works for me!
2016-05-10 7:09 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by PRHTri

So I think I'm a fairly salty sweater. Salty residue on face post training. I'm hoping to fuel with Gatorade endurance and gu gels and have started practicing with that. My question is if other salty sweaters add salt tablets or other in addition to something like Gatorade endurance.
Thx
-Patrick

Just use the Gatorade and Gu's, they have a balance of electrolites. Salt on the other handle is just 1 and can through your body out of wack if your using salt tablets.
2016-05-10 7:17 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by PRHTri So I think I'm a fairly salty sweater. Salty residue on face post training. I'm hoping to fuel with Gatorade endurance and gu gels and have started practicing with that. My question is if other salty sweaters add salt tablets or other in addition to something like Gatorade endurance. Thx -Patrick

Salty residue on face/clothes/etc is NOT necessarily a sign of a particularly salty sweater.  It is a sign that you sweated and the water from the sweat evaporated.  The salt does not.  This is true of everyone. For those in very humid conditions, they may not 'see' the salt because the water does not evaporate as well.  Point is, do not assume you are a 'salty sweater', and therefore need extra supplementation, just because you observe salt residue after you sweat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salty Sweaters Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recommend race clothing for a HEAVY sweater

Started by TXNick
Views: 587 Posts: 2

2010-09-09 7:21 AM DanielG

Gatorade endurance and salty sweaters

Started by destriero
Views: 4295 Posts: 8

2009-08-31 2:56 PM mtnracer

Best sunglases for heavy sweater....

Started by gymgirlx
Views: 1240 Posts: 18

2008-03-18 8:44 AM trimore

Treadmill - are you a heavy sweater? Pages: 1 2

Started by fgump
Views: 1625 Posts: 30

2008-02-15 12:07 PM Artemis

Pool - salty / cloudy water?

Started by D001
Views: 5483 Posts: 19

2007-10-09 6:52 PM D001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2014
author : NickSuffredin
comments : 1
What should you do if you train in hot weather and you sweat a lot? Do you drink more water, more sports drink...what about electrolyte supplements? Use this guide to enhance your training.

date : August 13, 2014
author : Enduropacks.com
comments : 4
I drink during my runs but I am a profuse sweater and it seems like I just can't keep up with my fluid needs. Would it be helpful to switch to an electrolyte drink for my fluid needs?
date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!

date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.