General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Passing the torch and eating humble pie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-09 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Passing the torch and eating humble pie
My son and I participated in a Rugged Maniac obstacle course race this past Saturday. OCR are a ton of fun an kinda my new thing. I've done one other Rugged Maniac, a couple of Tough Mudders and a Spartan Beast. Since my passion for triathlon has waned in the last few years these have really filled a void. My son is nineteen and though he played baseball from age seven through high school and wrestled in high school he doesn't work out regularly at all. I kept joking with him that I was going to finish the course ahead of him and go back and do it again at his pace. The sad thing is on some level I think I believed it! I was pretty sure he could handle the obstacles. Some are pretty challenging. Others, not so much. He said he had run one time in preparation. He ran about two miles, came home and promptly threw up. This was going to be easy. The old man, a well seasoned endurance athlete, was going to school this young buck. As we huddled in the corral I could see he was a little nervous. When the horn went off he sprinted out. Rookie mistake I thought. He let the adrenalin get the best of him. He can't sustain the pace I thought. Well, he could and did. It was all I could do to stay a few steps behind, I was grateful for bottlenecks at some of the obstacles. It gave me a chance to catch my breath. He totally rocked the course. We stayed together but had we truly raced I'm pretty sure he would have won. I was a little disappointed and hoped I hadn't let him down somehow. I was super proud of him and think he is proud of me too. He has seen my train and race for quite a while now and maybe has a greater appreciation for what it takes to prepare and toe the line. My son and I drifted apart some during his adolescence. Despite my best efforts to remain close he needed some space to grow.The teen years can be tough and they were for us. He is definitely maturing and we are reconnecting as not just father and son but two grown men. I love him dearly and cherish our time together. I had an awesome time with him. I even convinced him to hold hands as we went down the slide just before the finish line. I guess he will always be my little boy. I'm not throwing the towel in just yet.We have a re-match in the fall. Four months of training will be plenty!

2016-05-10 12:24 AM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Passing the torch and eating humble pie
I enjoyed reading this - Thanks for sharing the experience. My son is 17, and I look forward to doing an event together.

2016-05-10 9:15 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Very, very cool story and experience together with your son.  Here's to many more fun, adventurous times as you continue to grow into the new, next step in a father/son relationship!

2016-05-10 1:16 PM

, Wisconsin
Loved reading this! With my three kids being 34, 30, and 28, I can say it just keeps getting better once past those teen years
2016-05-10 1:42 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by MikeD1 Loved reading this! With my three kids being 34, 30, and 28, I can say it just keeps getting better once past those teen years

Agreed! Mine sons are 27 and 25 and I love spending time with them. I also participate in races with one of them when I can but I don't have a fools chance of racing him The other one is on a more leisurely time table, so we like to hike together.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Passing the torch and eating humble pie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Some days I just eat eat eat

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1948 Posts: 20

2010-07-30 2:36 AM ehughes

Eating clean and eating out...r/o

Started by ersmith29
Views: 1655 Posts: 6

2009-09-07 8:46 PM Batlou

400m Snake Swim - Passing and being passed

Started by SteveA
Views: 2813 Posts: 11

2009-05-22 11:06 PM breckview

eat stop eat

Started by antti asu
Views: 1182 Posts: 1

2009-03-23 3:10 PM antti asu

Leave the IM paste, but eat the PIE

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1727 Posts: 11

2008-03-16 8:54 PM suffer78
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What should you do when your food rules start taking over your life?

date : October 6, 2010
comments : 0
The same athletes who worry about event-day fueling often neglect their day to day training diet. The question this article answers is, “What should I eat before, during and after I train?”
date : September 16, 2010
author : PatriciaDawn
comments : 3
I decided that completing a triathlon would be the perfect celebration of reaching my goal and losing 83% of my excess body weight by dropping 230 pounds.

date : June 25, 2010
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?
date : June 10, 2008
author : shadoweloc
comments : 7
I was nervous. The water was cold. The cones defining the course were so far away. When the whistle blew for my wave, I waded in slowly to let everyone else pass me.

date : April 1, 2008
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : February 7, 2008
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.