General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New gay guy Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-10 5:33 AM

Subject: New gay guy
Hi. Im 43, gay in Florida. I've talked about doing a triathalon and finally have decided to make it happen. I haven't competed in one yet. I'm new to joining and posting on a site, so this is new and weird to me. I used to be an athlete and in pretty good shape. After I stopped, I gained a lot of weight and trying to get back to healthy. 5'8", 212 lbs. Would be cool to have a buddy to talk to, who's going through or has gone through same thing. Can use all the help and advise I can get. Well, just wanted to introduce myself. Hope to chat

2016-05-10 9:20 AM
in reply to: csjorgec

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: New gay guy

Well, I'm far from meeting your criteria as a workout buddy, seeing as I'm female and in another state, but welcome!  What sort of sports or activities were you involved in previously?  

If it is something that might interest you, there are a few weight-loss groups on here that offer good peer support and motivation.

2016-05-10 9:37 AM
in reply to: #5181005

I was a gymnast, for the most part. Also played other sports along the way. I appreciate the advice.
2016-05-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I should have also mentioned that there are mentor groups on the site as well that are generally a good resource for learning more about the sport, asking questions, and making some new acquaintances/friends near and far.  I think some are still open - check out 'Other Resources', then '2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program', then look through the list for any groups that have 'Open' listed after the thread name.  I saw the weight-loss one I was speaking of earlier: '2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group ' is open if you are interested.

Edited by melbo55 2016-05-10 12:28 PM
2016-05-10 2:53 PM
in reply to: #5181005

Thank you. Will go try and find. Really appreciate it
2016-05-13 11:06 AM

User image

Welcome! This site is good place to ask questions.

I would look for a local cycling club/triathlon club in your area. Both the USA cycling and USA Triathlon have lists of local clubs on their website. At a minimum, you can connect with other athletes on their FB site to get info about local races and training sessions.

2016-05-13 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5181147

Thank you. What is that FB site? Facebook? Because I'm not on there. I appreciate the information
2016-05-13 7:59 PM
in reply to: #5181693

Just have a hard time to stay motivated sometimes. Trying to keep it up. Hope to meet a buddy to help me get through it, talk about things and keep me going
2016-05-16 9:19 AM

User image

If we were closer, I'd workout with you. Since we're not, I can at least share my experience. About 2 years ago, I was in a similar place as you; a former athlete who had gained a lot of weight and let my fitness go. I dropped ~60 lbs in a year and got in the best shape I'd been in for 25 years. I started out with just swimming (was a competitive swimmer in high school), but am broadening my range this year to triathlon.

I blogged about my weight loss and fitness recovery here: https://210dayfix.wordpress.com/

2016-05-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Pennsylvania

I would recommend using your training log to track and show your workouts.  It's a nice, easy way for you (and others, if you chose) to see what you've been doing, and how you've been doing.  It's helpful because you can enter notes about the workout (sunny day, felt great on the run; rainy day but I still got out there and it wasn't so bad, etc).  You can look back on any given day and see what you did.

It's also a way to track your progress.  If you are using some sort of GPS watch, I believe most watches work with the BT interface to allow automatic uploads (once you set it up) which make tracking workouts even simpler. Even if you aren't using a fancy watch, you can still manually enter your times/data/comments.

2016-05-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

I would recommend using your training log to track and show your workouts.  It's a nice, easy way for you (and others, if you chose) to see what you've been doing, and how you've been doing.  It's helpful because you can enter notes about the workout (sunny day, felt great on the run; rainy day but I still got out there and it wasn't so bad, etc).  You can look back on any given day and see what you did.

It's also a way to track your progress.

I agree. Keeping a log goes against my natural tendencies, but I've been very diligent about a log of my workouts. Being able to look back has helped on multiple occasions.

2016-05-17 7:53 AM
in reply to: #5181694

Thank you for all the advice. Some days are just hard to stay in it, but pushing through. I was a gymnast through college. Taking it a day at a time
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New gay guy Rss Feed