General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calling all rock climbers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-15 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Calling all rock climbers
My daughter and I visited a newly opened REI a few weeks back. I had never been in an actual store before and it was pretty cool. Most of the offerings could be found in the major sporting goods chains but one thing that caught my eye was the rock climbing gear. I have always thought rock climbing looked like a lot of fun and tremendous challenge and free climbing, well that's just insane! Living in coastal Virginia there aren't many places close by but there are places within a few hours drive. Any ideas of the basic gear cost and the best way to get started?

2016-05-15 2:00 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Calling all rock climbers

If you get in with a group of friends who do that stuff, you can learn on their equipment before investing in all your own gear. It'll be safer too. I'd say the bare minimum to get you started is your own harness (30-50 bucks), a helmet (60-80), and shoes (50-100). If you really want to buy your own gear it'll get expensive fast. Just a rack of trad gear for placing anchors can easily turn into hundreds and hundreds of dollars. The rope is another 200. Carabiners, rappel devices, etc will add another hundred right there. And buy them new. There are only a few things that I'm unwilling to buy used: scuba gear, rock climbing gear, and underpants. Ask at the REI if they offer classes. There might be an indoor climbing gym near you where you could meet people that maybe make the weekend drive to outdoor places. Have fun! It's an adrenaline sport for sure.

2016-05-15 2:47 PM
in reply to: #5181842

User image

Regular
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like solid advice.
2016-05-15 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Did you look to see if there were any local climbing gyms? That is a great place to start. They'll usually have stuff you can rent before you start investing in the sport. They'll also have a class to teach you how to belay and tie knots so you don't kill yourself or someone else. Some gyms will have auto-belays and some won't. Auto-belays are nice since your daughter probably isn't going to be belaying you.

IMO, the must have are shoes and chalk. You can rent the harness and shoes from the gym for your first couple trips. A chalk bag will only cost you a couple bucks. Shrug, you don't even need a harness if you're going to boulder, the gym should have an area taped for that.

Rock climbing is a blast. I'ts a cool scene, nice folks. Check out some youtube videos before you go so you can get an idea of the techniques involved.

Edited by ziggie204 2016-05-15 7:23 PM
2016-05-16 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'll echo what the others have said:  Look for a climbing gym.  They usually offer classes and equipment rental and are full of people interested in the sport.  

"Climbing" is usually going vertical with a safety rope going to a belayer (someone or auto-belay).  

"Bouldering" is usually going sideways along the wall without rope and harness.  Most places will restrict the height either by marking how high you can place your hands (10-12'), or how high you can place your feet above the ground (4-5').  

You can learn most of the climbing techniques bouldering.  

When you go, route difficulty is graded by a 5.X scale.  5.5 is a pretty easy climb (you might not even recognize it as "rock climbing")  5.13 would be very difficult, with very tiny holds spaced quite far apart.  

2016-05-16 8:46 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
I'll be the naysayer on the gyms. Get outside!

Just kidding (sort of)...a climbing friend of mine early on told me he didn't feel the gyms were any safer than being outside except for the fact that there might be instructors there. I climbed exclusively in the gym for a few years and when I finally got outside I liked it so much more.

So go to a gym and learn to belay (probably have classes at REI), then invest in a harness, rope, and sport rack. Find bolted routes in your neck of the woods on this site
http://www.mountainproject.com/

Then invest in these two books
http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Anchors-2nd-How-Climb/dp/0762723262
http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Freedom-Hills-Mountaineers-Boo...

Have fun and stay safe!
Ted

2016-05-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by indianhillsted

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Freedom-Hills-Mountaineers-Boo...

Have fun and stay safe!
Ted

+1 on this book. It is considered the bible of mountaineering. (which is not the same as rock climbing, there is a lot cross over)

My advice:
You need to be taught how to to things right. I'd be a little hesitant to send you to Youtube because there is a lot of unsafe and flat-out wrong information on there. So take a class (pretty sure REI offers them) or find someone that knows what they are doing and tag along with them.
DON'T EVER BUY USED GEAR! You have absolutely no idea what it has been through and your life, literally, depends on them. If you get into climbing, over time you will start to build a rack. Come up with your own marking system (i used a blue dot and a green dot marked on every piece of equipment, marked in auto touch-up paint). I won't use anyone else's gear. It's simply not worth the risk.

Edited by pwoolson 2016-05-16 11:38 AM
2016-05-16 5:23 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Originally posted by pwoolson
DON'T EVER BUY USED GEAR! You have absolutely no idea what it has been through and your life, literally, depends on them.

x 1000!
2016-05-16 9:34 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

I would be surprised if REI does not have a starter kit.

In Montreal, you can find starter kits at 179$ can dollars. Those are indoor kits. You don't need an helmet inside and the ropes are already installed most of the time. If you do outside, you may have to buy those as well.

Here is the kit: http://www.lacordee.com/en/escalade/ensembles-d-escalade?___from_st...

Again, if you climb inside, the climbing gym will require that you prove you have technique to do so in a safe manner. You would therefore need a a lesson (approx 40$ per person) and then follow the exam (accreditation), 15$ to 20$. Chances are the accreditation will be included with the course. Once you have the requirements, you pay for the access to the climbing gym.

I also advise against buying used. The keyword when climbing is safety. Especially for the ATC which can crack if hits the ground. Beside the difference in cost are not that high between used and new. Better be safe than sorry...

It is a very nice sport. I hope you enjoy it. It will also be quality time with your daughter.
2016-05-17 10:48 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by CBess

My daughter and I visited a newly opened REI a few weeks back. I had never been in an actual store before and it was pretty cool. Most of the offerings could be found in the major sporting goods chains but one thing that caught my eye was the rock climbing gear. I have always thought rock climbing looked like a lot of fun and tremendous challenge and free climbing, well that's just insane! Living in coastal Virginia there aren't many places close by but there are places within a few hours drive. Any ideas of the basic gear cost and the best way to get started?

I was a rock climbing instructor before going to med school. Best way to get started is to take a class and think about your costs in terms of $/ foot climbed. It quickly becomes an inexpensive sport.

Look for a course offered by experienced instructors, or an mountain school. Pittsburgh is about 90 minutes from nice top ropign and 4 hours from some of the best climbing the east coast at Seneca Rocks & New River Gorge.

Don't buy the stuff then figure out how to use it. Take a class first, then buy what you feel safe using.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calling all rock climbers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

?s for Mountain Climbers

Started by kilgoretrout
Views: 1549 Posts: 8

2012-11-02 9:53 PM MonkeyClaw

FLO's new 30mm aero climber

Started by shaka999
Views: 2060 Posts: 11

2012-10-12 11:58 PM magic

Re:Versa climber...

Started by wee scotty
Views: 4091 Posts: 6

2010-01-02 3:20 PM KeriKadi

Question for all you climbers on the bike

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 755 Posts: 7

2009-09-02 11:44 AM daijoubu

Don't call it a 1/2...call it IM 70.3

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1862 Posts: 17

2005-06-26 5:52 PM TypeA Girl Pilot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!