Leaning Tower YMCA
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 52s
Overall Rank = 85/155
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

I did not sleep well before the race. I had so many bad dreams sleeping actually made me tired. I had oatmeal+fruits and nuts shake in the morning and drunk water with Pedialyte. My biggest dilemma was what to wear for the race. The temperature dropped to 38 degrees that morning, so biking and running in wet swimsuite sounded crazy. At the same time, I was thinking that I would already be warmed up and with a tons of adrenaline I may actually be fine. Especially since there was barely any wind, and it was supposed to be sunny. I decided to place a long sleeve by my bike and make a judgement when I finish swim.
I got to YMCA, set up my transition, went to the locker room to change and warm up. I realized I lost my chip. I was running back and forth to find it, I was asking everyone if they found a lonely chip, I finally came back to the locker room and the chip was in my hoodie's pocket. Yes, the race anxiety got me.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching, then couple of laps just to make sure I remembered how to swim. Once I got out the pool I went to the open door area to see how big of a shock it will be to get out of 83 degrees pool into... 38 degrees reality... It was freaking cold and I thought ok, long sleeve will be a must. I wanted to do my best, but I did not to get sick.
I wanted to pee all the time. I made several trips and got worry that the pee production in my body would never end and continue during the race.
I had some chat here and there with other triathletes and it made me relaxed a little bit.
Swim
  • 11m 12s
  • 450 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I liked the time trial way. I don't need more stress when I know there is somebody right behind me. The girl next to me got to the pool a tiny bit after me, and she remained behind me with every lap, which made me feel more peaceful. I kept telling myself to go slowly, because swim was not my strength and I knew I was not going to break world record. So just took it easy. I could not, however, win with the pressure and couple of last laps I was coming back on the back stroke. In last lap I decided to forget freestyle and just enter my speed mode breaststroke. It gave me a lot of control and made me feel better. Then out of the pool and run into coldness...
What would you do differently?:

I need more, more, more swim practice... in general.
For this specific race I think I did as much as I could have. My goal was to complete below 11 minutes. I took too much time at each wall to "relax and catch a breath" - maybe that part could have been cut a bit. But then again, I wanted to have peaceful swim rather than panic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

The transition is my "secret weapon". This is where I planned to have an extra points lost in the swim. I run out of the warm pool to the brutal cold, but it did not feel bad. I think I even yelled to some spectators/volunteers that it felt almost like Kona... I don't remember running this fast in transition, but i was just so happy I was done with swim. I decided to go without the jacket - just go in the swimsuit. There was no wind and the sun was shining straight into our faces. I dropped the goggles, put socks and shoes on, helmet of course, and was ready-Freddy for the bike. My bag got sucked by the bike and I lost some time when trying to fix it. Well, probably two seconds...

It was very fast and smooth transition. I should've made sure that stupid bag was not touching the bike.
Bike
  • 41m 22s
  • 18 kms
  • 26.11 km/hr
Comments:

I definitely need more biking... Well, not a surprise, as I have not been biking a lot. Except spin class. I moved my legs as much as I could. There was no way to give more power. So it is what it is. My goal was 36-37 minutes, based on last year. But then again - last year I had more biking done before the race.
What I liked was that I was able to stay focused.

More biking... haha
Again, I gave absolute maximum I could've produced.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Ughhhhh that feeling when you get off the bike and you're trying to figure out where your legs are.....
I got to my spot, left the bike and grabbed my jacket. I decided to remove my bib number and gummy bears and just throw it to my brother during the run. Very fast, very smooth transition.

Nothing. I think it was almost perfect. Although, I have to admit, it would be much much better if I trained bricks more.
Run
  • 28m 13s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 38s  min/km
Comments:

It took me VERY long time to adjust from biking to running. Again, not a surprise, as I have not been doing the bricks. I was also so out of breath for several minutes - I put a bag of gummy bears into my mouth and I was unable to chew it, because my breath could not control itself (so I was running like a hamster with gummy bears in its cheeks for few minutes). I stayed focus for the whole time and just kept telling myself to not slow down.
For a moment I was convinced that half-marathon was much easier than triathlon........ ;p

I gave all the energy to this run, so I don't think more could've been done. I just wish I enjoyed it more. Again... more training needed...
Post race
Warm down:

My brain was kind of lost still after crossing the finish line. I remember my mom and my brothers were saying something to me, and I responded, but I don't really remember what the story was about. Everyone was wearing winter jackets (it was still around 42 degrees) and my mom got super worried that I am hanging there only with a swimsuite... I did not feel cold until maybe 15 minutes later...
I had some drinks, banana, chocolate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training. I can't say I did not train, but I did not train well enough.

Event comments:

This race is a great one to start the season and evaluate my potential, address any issues and weaknesses. Knowing how much more training I need to perform better is actually a great motivator.
I feel that I was not prepared enough. At the same time, I gave the best I had. So at least I do not feel disappointed. Working hard is what's ahead of me :) This is great start of triathlon season, yehey!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:12 | 450 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 110/155
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 8 laps back and forth.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:22 | 18 kms | 26.11 km/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 115/155
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 5 laps. Before the race some folks were complaining that there's a lot of turns. Yea, there were few, but not 180 degrees, so I did not even had to slow down too much.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:13 | 05 kms | 05m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 80/155
Performance: Good
Course: 2.5 km to turn point and back. Nothing spectacular.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-16 2:53 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: YMCA Tower Triathlon

2016-05-16 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5182088

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: YMCA Tower Triathlon
Whoop whoop! Well done getting on the podium. It is good that you can see your places for improvement, but don't forget to soak up and enjoy your success.
2016-05-16 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

First, awesome picture!

This race report had me laughing out loud. Starting with the timing chip and continuing till the hamster cheeks. Several laps on the bike with turns sounds like a recipe for crashes. I call the off the bike legs my C3PO legs. I think it was in Chrissie Wellington's book that you just never know whether you'll have legs waiting for you in T2.

Well done. Your swimming is making great progress, just keep at it. It'll be fun to see how your races go after some consistent training.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

2016-05-16 3:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Great race report to go along with a great race!  Congratulations!  I cannot imagine biking in 38* without a jacket, leg warmers and gloves!!

2016-05-16 3:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Awesome!  Great race and great report.

Congrats on a PODIUM!

Matt

2016-05-16 3:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Big congrats, Mary!  Oh, you poor dear, thinking you lost your timing chip and stressing for nothing.  Your gummy bear/hamster cheek comment really made me chuckle.  Podium girl, woooo!

2016-05-16 6:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on the podium, and awesome race report! I am in awe of your cold tolerance. I DO swim outdoors in the winter (at home in Oregon) so I know what it's like to exit the 80 degree pool for 30-degree air, but then I go straight to the hot tub or shower after that. I would probably have been biking in a parka. There is NO WAY I would forego the long sleeve shirt if temps were under about 58. Wow! I think you are part polar bear.

One word of advice--save the solid food for the bike. I think most people can't control their breathing enough while running, especially running at race effort, to get down solid food safely. It's probably the reason gu was invented. It may not taste as good as gummy bears, but it's easier/safer to get down while running. Plus no hamster cheeks. (Will admit; I had a few "hamster cheek" moments with my chocolate in my last race.)
2016-05-16 9:42 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you all!
It was a fun experience (including the hamster phase)

thanks for the advice Karen. I still need to learn eating and drinking during the bike. So far I've been eating (snacking) during runs in preparation for half-marathons. Gummy bears was somebody's suggestion as this is easy and fast sugar thing. I usually have dark chocolate as well. Normally I have those treats during longer runs, I don't having those during 5k will make any difference, but when it's the last leg of triathlon, gummy bears are just sooooo deliciousssss haha even if you have to store it until your jaw remembers how to work

As for not wearing anything - I don't know.. It's just that once I run out of the building I thought it was not that bad because it was not windy. Thankfully, my judgment was fine and I stayed warm (I actually sweat) for the whole course. Maybe running during winter paid me back
2016-05-17 2:15 AM

User image

Awesome result and well done, loved the race report!
2016-05-17 8:59 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you all! It was a fun experience (including the hamster phase) thanks for the advice Karen. I still need to learn eating and drinking during the bike. So far I've been eating (snacking) during runs in preparation for half-marathons. Gummy bears was somebody's suggestion as this is easy and fast sugar thing. I usually have dark chocolate as well. Normally I have those treats during longer runs, I don't having those during 5k will make any difference, but when it's the last leg of triathlon, gummy bears are just sooooo deliciousssss haha even if you have to store it until your jaw remembers how to work As for not wearing anything - I don't know.. It's just that once I run out of the building I thought it was not that bad because it was not windy. Thankfully, my judgment was fine and I stayed warm (I actually sweat) for the whole course. Maybe running during winter paid me back

The difficulty of eating gummy bears is compounded when the weather is cold and the gummy bears become almost un-chewable

2016-05-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you all! It was a fun experience (including the hamster phase) thanks for the advice Karen. I still need to learn eating and drinking during the bike. So far I've been eating (snacking) during runs in preparation for half-marathons. Gummy bears was somebody's suggestion as this is easy and fast sugar thing. I usually have dark chocolate as well. Normally I have those treats during longer runs, I don't having those during 5k will make any difference, but when it's the last leg of triathlon, gummy bears are just sooooo deliciousssss haha even if you have to store it until your jaw remembers how to work As for not wearing anything - I don't know.. It's just that once I run out of the building I thought it was not that bad because it was not windy. Thankfully, my judgment was fine and I stayed warm (I actually sweat) for the whole course. Maybe running during winter paid me back

The difficulty of eating gummy bears is compounded when the weather is cold and the gummy bears become almost un-chewable

...or... when it's to hot and the gummy bears melt into giant gummy whale...

2016-05-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations on a great day Mary! It looks like you had a great race.

2016-05-17 10:49 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations!  What a race!  I love your race report -- very visual.  I can just picture you at some points like when your bike sucked in the bag in T1 and "running like a hamster with gummy bears in its cheeks."  Thanks for sharing!

2016-05-18 4:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True about the dangers of gummy bears in heat.....Last year one of my AG rivals, who was parked next to me in transition, apparently decided that Haribo (Japanese gummy candies) was her answer to "nutrition" on the bike. The heat rose to almost 40C over the course of the day, well into the 30's on the bike leg and at least 40 as the bikes were sitting out until we claimed them several hours later. Apparently she wasn't able to finish all her gummies on the bike. There was a lot of merriment in our area when she discovered that not only was the remaining melted Haribo now STUCK HOPELESSLY to her plastic bento box; it in fact could act as superglue--I can verify that, just by holding onto the glob of melted Haribo, she was able to pick up the whole bike and put it back down again! Compared to that disaster, the fact that I had melted chocolate all over my bento box and aerobars seemed a fairly minor issue.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-18 4:08 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Tower Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Leaning Tower YMCA Triathlon

Started by sdejan
Views: 1121 Posts: 1

2011-05-15 12:16 PM sdejan

Tower Triathlon

Started by jniekrasz
Views: 1570 Posts: 4

2007-05-21 1:20 PM Grizdog

Tower Triathlon

Started by chzzpt40
Views: 1396 Posts: 2

2007-05-22 6:54 AM jniekrasz

Tower Triathlon

Started by jowisc
Views: 1375 Posts: 1

2006-05-24 10:40 AM jowisc

Presidential Towers Indoor Triathlon

Started by rudyncc33
Views: 1161 Posts: 2

2004-04-20 9:26 AM kgart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.