General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Movescount Dual Heart Rates? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-17 4:35 PM

Subject: Movescount Dual Heart Rates?
Hello everyone,

Ive been hanging around for a little taking in all I can and finally have the first of many questions for the group. Just a little back ground, I started running for the first time on January in an effort to make a turning point in life to getting into the shape I should be in. A few months latter a friend who was a big fitness guy suggested I compete in the local sprint triathlon with him "just for fun". Well I started doing a little training and really enjoyed mixing biking and swimming into the daily activity so I agreed to do the Tri. I didn't realize at the time what I had agreed to was only 4 weeks away so I kicked it into high gear. Long story short, it was this past Saturday and I did better than I could have expected and it was a blast. So you know the rest, the bug has bitten and Im hooked. The race really provided the motivation I needed to get out there when I would much rather sit on the couch so Im already planning the next one and am looking at an olympic distance at the end of August as a season end goal. I've subscribed to the "Sprint to Olympic" training plan and am ready to press forward towards that goal.

My question is this. Ive been doing a lot of reading on here about using your lactate threshold as the base point for heart rate training (which the plan uses). Ive done the LT field test for both the bike and running and discovered, as indicated, that they are different by a significant amount (about 11 BPM). As mentioned, Im pretty new to this kind of training so I do depend on my heart rate monitor while working out to stay on the right zones. But, having two max heart rates for biking and running looks to be a pain having to go in and change all the settings when going between workouts. I have a Suunto Ambit3 Vertical for a GPS watch/HR monitor (love it BTW). Does anyone have a solution or know of an Movescount app that would let me put a different heart rate zone in each of the running and cycling workouts?

2016-05-17 9:55 PM
in reply to: #5182365

Subject: RE: Movescount Dual Heart Rates?
Or do I not worry about it and just try to remember the range for that workout and run with just plain beats per minute?
2016-05-18 8:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
I use Suunto as well, I don't think there is a way to set up 2 sets of heart rates based on the sport.

That being said use which ever is higher, I assume that to be your run.

The lower would one would be an indication that your sport specific muscle can not match what your heart is capable of.

For me (when I'm well conditioned) I know I can hold a 165 HR on the bike or on the run for long distances. However when I'm not as well conditioned, I usually can not hold that on the bike.

Edited by mike761 2016-05-18 8:13 AM
2016-05-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: ctrebby

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I used the run zones in the HRM and then subtracted the difference on the tests for the bike.  Not too big of a deal on the bike, you can withstand harder efforts on the bike and after awhile you'll learn (RPE) the efforts. 

2016-06-01 9:31 AM
in reply to: ctrebby

Bryson from Suunto here. There currently is not the possibility to define different heart rate zones for different activities.

There are several heart rate zone apps available (http://www.movescount.com/apps#activity=4&term=zone), but there doesn't seem to be one that would provide automatically lower zone levels for cycling than running.

Cheers,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Movescount Dual Heart Rates? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High heart rate and breathing rate after bike

Started by derekh25
Views: 1156 Posts: 3

2004-08-19 9:32 AM triman50

heart rate on the bike

Started by trilover
Views: 1441 Posts: 19

2003-12-08 6:02 AM cameronw

Heart Rate Monitors

Started by Rio
Views: 1651 Posts: 19

2003-11-26 7:49 AM cameronw

Scott Herrick's Heart-Rate Article.

Started by Ron
Views: 1578 Posts: 4

2003-10-09 8:28 AM Lara

Heart rate monitor

Started by hytenms
Views: 1362 Posts: 5

2003-08-26 3:29 AM hytenms
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.
date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I found that my heart rate was maxed at 95% and averaged 80% for the bike and run with no breathing problems. However, I just couldn't seem to get more out of my legs. Thoughts?

date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.