General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue- when to take an unplanned day off Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-18 10:42 AM

User image

Subject: Fatigue- when to take an unplanned day off
Hi,

Hoping to get some feedback from some experienced Ironpeople...

I'm training for Whistler in July, full IM. Training has been going well, pretty much bang on to plan.

This weekend was a big weekend, but not unlike the last 4. Planned day off Monday. Supposed to be back at it yesterday (Tuesday) and could barely get through 800m of my swim before I ditched it and ditched my evening ride, too. I pretty much never skip a planned workout. Figured this was a day I needed to listen to my body.

This morning (Wednesday) I could not get out of bed for my swim.

I think my nutrition is good. Hydration is good. I don't think I'm sick but it's possible. Could this simply be accumulated fatigue?

Being OCD, my feeling is I'll find a way to bang off the swim and run planned for today, but...wondering if I should be taking yet another day off?

Thx in advance.

2016-05-19 7:21 AM
in reply to: MikeMeade08

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Fatigue- when to take an unplanned day off
Do you keep up with your vitals? HRV in particular is an excellent measure of what's going on with your body, but even resting hr can give valuable insight. Have you ever had blood work done? Hard to know your nutrition is spot on if you aren't sure what vitamins your body specifically needs when you are in the midst of hard training.

From experience, planning rest days is a mediocre solution (at best) although certainly better than not taking rest days. Sometimes a plan says you take a day off when training would have been optimal, sometimes it's has you take a day off when you need more than a day off. In IM training you should be fatigued pretty often, but not like you are describing.

You're doing the right thing listening to your body, but I think you probably need to dig deeper as to why you're feeling "that" fatigued.
2016-05-19 4:32 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Master

Possibly getting sick as you mentioned.  Another thought: how much sleep are you getting?  I find during IM training I have needed to take a nap (even 30min) almost every day.  What else is going on in your life?  Tough days at work?  Stuff going on at home?  Those can have a huge impact for me on my fatigue levels when training heavily.

Good luck getting it figured out and good luck in Whistler.  I am volunteering again this year, hoping for good weather for you! 

2016-05-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: MikeMeade08

User image

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I reached out to a few people inside my orbit as well. General consensus was to take that 3rd consecutive day off, then pick it up Thursday as the plan called, and hit it hard on the weekend.

The week progressively gets harder; Thursday was a swim in the morning, and hill training session on the bike. Friday was a fun trail run (not hard, but trails means hills, so...), Saturday pre-ride tne IMC course, Sunday one loop of the IMC run course, both Saturday and Sunday at my goal race pace.

Happy to say that Thursday through Sunday were all spot on, and Saturday especially a big success / breakthrough workout.

I would like to say I'm on top of all the vital information, but I'm not. I have had various forms of blood work done, but never in the context of "what extra should I consider" for IM training. I'd like to have this down, but being honest, I don't, and 8 weeks out likely not enough time to "fix" it except perhaps boost the supplement level to match the increased level of training.Unfortunately I still have to work, and fortunately I have a family and three active kids, so there isn't a lot of extra time left over for IMC. That's simply the reality of the situation.

I can tell you this: I was most definitely extra stressed with work / business / personal issues all coming to a head. I have also not been sleeping well. Last Wednesday I took the day off not only from training, but from the office, and slept a good part of it. And ate, hydrated, a lot.

So, yeah...likely a combination of a lot of things meeting in the middle, and needing to take that extra couple of days off, and getting away from training. Yes, fatigue is a normal part, and I find myself having to take extra naps, but this was something entirely different. So, boosting the food / vitamin / mineral intake from here on in, and will keep a closer eye on things.

Thanks for the feedback!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue- when to take an unplanned day off Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Post viral fatigue

Started by keepitup
Views: 776 Posts: 2

2007-11-04 1:38 PM asoul23

Ankle fatigue

Started by heartopener
Views: 5869 Posts: 7

2007-09-06 11:03 AM heartopener

Wierd Fatigue.

Started by 89blazer
Views: 883 Posts: 4

2007-07-30 10:40 AM kimj81

Chronic helath condition and fatigue, help?

Started by starryskies78
Views: 1215 Posts: 12

2006-11-20 10:20 PM Tri_Wombat

Fatigue

Started by jeepgil97
Views: 1246 Posts: 17

2006-06-26 10:06 PM smokeater1833
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
The benefits of beet juice, chocolate milk and caffeine in enhancing endurance activities. Are slow or fast carbs better? Also, what is the best way to stay strong?

date : February 18, 2014
author : AMSSM
I now find that after sitting for long periods of time during the day for two hours or so my knees are very stiff and weak when I then try to move them. Do I need to take better care of my knees?
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : June 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.
date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?