General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Zones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-20 7:26 PM

Subject: Training Zones
I'm still new to endurance training, only 9 months of swim/bike/run. I have a question about the training zones that are tracked with my Garmin 910XT. I had my long run today, 45 minutes, I was able to complete 4.5m at an average pace of 11:24/mile. For me, that was a positive workout, because I'm not dead right after and based on other runs of similar distance/time I feel MUCH better so I know that my endurance has improved. Now that I loaded my workout, I see that my average HR was 157bpm and my max was 170bpm. According to the standard 220 - age, my max HR should be 191bpm. Now according to the Garmin app I was within the 3 to 4 zone the entire run, but my "training effect" according to my app was a "5 - Overreaching".That sounds negative, but I can't help but feel like this workout was very beneficial.

So how much attention should I pay to the "training effect" the app shows, compared to my HR throughout the run, my pace, or more importantly how I felt during and after my run? Or am I missing other indicators I should be watching more closely?

Thanks for any advice.

2016-05-21 12:54 PM
in reply to: manimal

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Training Zones
The most important thing is that you are improving and making gains! I started getting into using HR about two years ago and though I’ve learned a ton, I keep learning a lot more every day.
That 220 – age calc can be off by quite a bit. For example, I’m 61yrs, and my max should be 159. Well I’ve seen peaks at 180 and most of my sprint and 5K racing is avg something in the 165-170 range. You’re a lot younger, so 191 is probably closer to accurate but could still be off.
I do suspect that you were probably making more of a tempo kind of effort at Z3-4 than the easy Z2 type that is usually recommended for the long run in training. A lot of people (myself included) tend to spend too much time training at Z3 than is considered optimal. It definitely took my awhile to slow down enough to stay under Z3 when I was supposed to. Seems like a lot of the most effective training is recommended to be somewhere around 70-80% of the time at Z2 with some Z3 done as tempo, and some real hard efforts at Z4-Z5, usually as intervals.
2016-05-21 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5182931

User image

, North Carolina
If you can run that far you need to do a lactic threshold test. 30min of fun.
2016-05-22 5:37 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

You need to do a real 30 minute all out to get your true LTHR. LTHR is lactate threshold HR, which is the HR you could hold for about an hour. It's WAY more useful than whatever you think your max HR is.

Also, you most likely haven't setup your HR in the 910, so garmin has it set really low. That's most likely your real problem. I can't remember if you program in run zones or not but check out the settings on the watch and here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/settings/zones. I have a Fenix 3 (920) now and it's all managed via the watch while I think the 910 may have been on website for zones but on the watch for bike FTP. Been a while though so I don't know for sure.
2016-05-23 9:31 AM
in reply to: Blastman

thanks for the advice. I'm actually going to schedule a lactate threshold test with Memorial Herman Ironman institute. This way I will have accurate data to train with.
2016-05-23 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Everyone is different when it comes to HR, think bell curve, many will be in the middle, some one the skirts. Where you fall onto the curve can be determined with a field test, I posted this in another HR thread recently: "...here is the LT test protocol article. Definitely recommend you do the test and use the HR zones for it. BT has a HR Zone calculator for LT (and other methods) or use the downloadable LTHR spreadsheet from Coach Mike's website."

If you your WO was a "positive workout" then that's good.  Other metrics to use are RPE (see end of article above) which usually takes some correlation with another metric to dial in, and also training paces from a run calculator based on a run race result such as McMillians run calc.

2016-05-23 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by manimal thanks for the advice. I'm actually going to schedule a lactate threshold test with Memorial Herman Ironman institute. This way I will have accurate data to train with.
if its done with a bike setup, the HR likely won't be applicable to running, and vise versa.  Best to save your $ and do the field LT test I linked above, just as accurate and you can repeat it using the same course, etc.

2016-05-25 7:36 PM
in reply to: Donto

Got my lactate threshold test done today! I don't have any real comments about my results, mainly because they are not as good as I would have hoped for! Regardless, I have my paces for my different zones, now I'm just curious what the best way to utilize them is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Zones Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones?

Started by nickwisconsin
Views: 2018 Posts: 5

2011-01-03 8:03 AM jmcconne

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2507 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

training zone question Pages: 1 2

Started by hangloose
Views: 2075 Posts: 30

2006-01-21 12:56 PM jknapman

Prefered training zone for Triathlons?

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 651 Posts: 5

2006-01-11 3:26 PM amiine

What are the HR Training Zones

Started by saunaking
Views: 771 Posts: 3

2005-06-09 1:58 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : September 6, 2011
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.

date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.