Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Perfomance in different parts of the world Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-21 7:10 AM

User image

Tallinn, Estonia
Subject: Perfomance in different parts of the world
Hi,

I´ve been struggling with a topic for quite some time now, I´m from Estonia.
Last year I lived and trained for a full distance triathlon in Australia for 7 months and after the race didn´t do anything for a week and then started my journey back home. I stayed in Japan for a night, where I went for a short run, my avarege heart rate was way higher and once I started running in Estonia (three days later) it wasn´t any better.
So my question is if it´s possible, the location made such a difference, or was it just my bad recovery (almost nothing), the race itself went way better then expected and I didn´t have any drama troughout the day and no problems the next day either.

Some small stats aswell, my Ironman marathon (in Cairns) was 3:38 with an avg heart rate of 152 but three monts later I ran a marathon in Estonia and my pace was worse, did it in 3:40 with an avg heart rate of 169, still felt okay but seemed strange.

Maybe I should have started with recovery trainings form the second day or somthing like that or was it really form the difference. Both places are pretty much sea level, so no difference in hight, but Cairns definetly has a different climate from Estonia.

So that´s what´s on my mind today

Andre

2016-05-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Perfomance in different parts of the world
Lots of variables there. My guess is it was related to recovery, or lack thereof, from your Ironman, or possibly some fitness lost during taper and recovery, rather than location of the race. It's pretty common for people to have a prolonged recovery from an event of that distance, even if they don't feel too sore or exhausted initially. It seems to show up in more subtle ways, like ability to tolerate training, mental state, need for sleep, heart rate, etc. I haven't done full IM (have done several half ironman races), but I know personally that even after I no longer feel obvious fatigue or soreness (which for me is really just a matter of about three or four days), I'm still not back to normal in terms of training paces, and, when left to my own devices, tend to sleep about 1 to 2 hours more per night than usual. This lasts for as long as 2-3 weeks--after a half-ironman. I'm guessing full recovery could be a matter of a month or more after full IM.

As for location, maybe I'm a good test case. My job requires me to spend about 10 1/2 months a year in SE Asia, where I train and race in a very hot, humid climate. I have done races up to and including half ironman both here in SE Asia (very hot, very humid) and at home in the Pacific Northwest (typically cool to moderate conditions). While cooler weather is conducive to running somewhat faster, it really doesn't seem to make as much of a difference to overall race time as one might think. Last year, I posted nearly identical splits on the bike on two flat, windy seaside HIM courses six weeks apart in conditions of 36C and 10-15C. There has been very little difference in splits for shorter races, unless the conditions here were really extreme (as in close to 40) and then only on the run, not for swim and bike. The key variable seems to be fitness, not climate.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-21 8:14 AM
2016-05-21 4:16 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Tallinn, Estonia
Thanks a lot for this feedback, I was always thinking it might be the lack of proper recovery but still bothered me, that it made such a huge difference.
I´m guessing it was the lack of training afterwards aswell, which led to the worse marathon time.
I never stoped training but back home I have a really different job and it´s hard to find time for training. So compared to the schedule I had in Australia it was a walk in a park.
2016-05-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: Andrep

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Work stress, sleep, etc. can be HUGE in terms of your ability to tolerate training, recover from events, and peak for races. I'm an international teacher, so for me, those 6-7 weeks at home in summer are really more productive for training than when I'm working full time. I can usually get in workouts any time I want to, join local groups that will push me harder in training, make sure to consistently do the "extras" like stretching, massage, and strength work, get off my feet when I'm tired, and sleep as much as I want. Essentially during the summer, I'm living the lifestyle of a pro athlete (except I don't get paid LOL). That's simply not the case when teaching fifth grade! I typically schedule an "A" race or two toward the end of the summer to take advantage of that; my first month back at school is also very busy so I tend to use that period as a recovery time to take a break from serious training.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Perfomance in different parts of the world Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Different phrases used in different regions Pages: 1 2

Started by KenD
Views: 2119 Posts: 50

2009-07-19 1:48 PM xarhelm

Small world, part two

Started by the bear
Views: 1211 Posts: 9

2009-03-31 5:11 PM Sharkie

World Situation (or should I say world crisis) Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by TwoRiversTri
Views: 3902 Posts: 116

2006-07-12 11:22 PM RGRBILL

Something different to listen to

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 445 Posts: 1

2006-01-30 10:01 PM CalgaryRunner

A different Christmas poem

Started by oipolloi
Views: 576 Posts: 2

2005-12-08 8:10 PM Llewigi1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
If you have running problems or just want to improve your running, this video will serve to show you how a ChiRunning clinic is conducted and the philosophy behind it.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : December 14, 2004
comments : 0
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : September 5, 2004
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.
date : September 4, 2004
2003 Ultraman World Champion.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!