General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting....A question arose yesterday. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-05-23 4:31 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Drafting....A question arose yesterday.
I was running my local sprint yesterday. A little over hallway into the bike leg, I passed a gentleman in my AG. Short incline later, he passes me back. Next straight-away (I promise, this is the last time ), I again pass him.

When I look back, he's locked onto my wheel. I look back again and he's dropped back a "little". I kept looking, and I think he either realized I was going to check on him or just decided to let me go.

Have you ever had anyone lock onto your wheel that wouldn't back off (or pass you)? Just curious.

2016-05-23 4:36 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Subject: RE: Drafting....A question arose yesterday.
All the time! Damn annoying, but unless the race marshals pick it up and start dishing out warning and penalties there is not a whole lot you can do. You can of course tell him to back off, but that doesn't always work.

2016-05-23 7:28 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Yes, There are 3 things you can do.
1 push hard and drop him- which will burn a few matches and its hard to drop someone drafting that's close to your ability.
2 ignore him- if you not in contention for podium it does not really matter anyway
3 squirt your water bottle over your shoulder I've never actually done this but wanted to once
2016-05-23 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Not many athletes are patient enough to just hang off my back wheel...the clock is ticking.  

2016-05-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro

I think drafting threads are the best........all of these people doing triathlon and everyone is drafting off of them.  Where are all the "drafters"?

2016-05-23 8:36 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

Yes, There are 3 things you can do.
1 push hard and drop him- which will burn a few matches and its hard to drop someone drafting that's close to your ability.
2 ignore him- if you not in contention for podium it does not really matter anyway
3 squirt your water bottle over your shoulder I've never actually done this but wanted to once

Option 4: Snot rockets. I can blow them like a champ. If option 1 can't be easily accomplished, that is my fall back.

2016-05-23 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

It's happened to me twice. Once in Bellingham, had a guy lock onto my wheel and stuck there through most of the bike leg. In the last half mile he tried to sprint around me just before a left-hander into the park (and transition zone). He went wide and shoulder-checked a chain link fence, sending him sprawling to the pavement. Not sure how he faired on that one -- I just considered it instant karma.

Last time was in Issaquah, as I passed a group of 5 obviously in a pack. They latched on and stayed there for a couple miles until they decided they could paceline faster than I could go solo. I ended up passing them all on the run.

2016-05-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

I think drafting threads are the best........all of these people doing triathlon and everyone is drafting off of them.  Where are all the "drafters"?

Option 5:  Fart (if you can trust it's only that). 

LB, I agree the topic is well traveled, but to your point, do you think "drafters" would be all over the thread saying, "Hey, yeah! That was me breaking the rules, sucking your wheel and bumming a ride!  It was AWESOME!  THANKS!" 

Since I don't put money on the table doing these races, and it seems to be at least somewhat better enforced among the pros, I can only get mildly annoyed when I see people breaking the rules.  More sad/pitiful to me than anything.

Matt

2016-05-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

LB, I agree the topic is well traveled, but to your point, do you think "drafters" would be all over the thread saying, "Hey, yeah! That was me breaking the rules, sucking your wheel and bumming a ride!  It was AWESOME!  THANKS!" 

Since I don't put money on the table doing these races, and it seems to be at least somewhat better enforced among the pros, I can only get mildly annoyed when I see people breaking the rules.  More sad/pitiful to me than anything.

Matt

No, I just think it's like most things in life....lots of righteous indignation against people who do things wrong, but no one admitting doing anything wrong.....and yet time and again we see people getting caught doing things they railed on against.    The thing is......I see people complaining about people drafting them and then I see that they have bike splits of 14-16 mph.....and someone was "stuck on their wheel".   Here's the deal with that......someone doing a triathlon at that speed isn't skilled enough to "suck a wheel". 

I remember the triathlons I did back in the 80's.....GIANT bike packs would form.  Nobody cared and there was no whining about "cheating" or anything like that.

I think these days most people get too wrapped up in what others are doing, hence all of the "righteous indignation".  It wears me out.

"Save me from the good people" - Jim White, longtime KMOX radio host

2016-05-23 11:57 AM

User image

Don't you have a bunch of drafters in your household?

2016-05-23 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I hear you.  In fairness, I read the OP as more a question of, "Does this happen a lot," rather than total indignation.  If you haven't done a lot of races, I could see where it would be a surprise to see pace lines and big azzed bike packs clattering along at speed (when that's not quiiiiiite the point of a time trial type of tri).

To the OP (and sorry I didn't answer in my first post), yep.  Definitely have had this happen.  And with people in my AG.  Hasn't had any effect on finishing places, except maybe in one half I did (pipped at the line by two guys I saw in such a pack on the bike - but were all in the low 20's in terms of finishing places in our AG, IIRC.  Lol!  Don't know if that helped them much, and don't care all that much).

It definitely happens frequently, and I believe across ability levels.  I've seen wicked fast packs and really slow ones.  Sometimes it's just the nature of the particular course (really crowded and hard to ride totally clean) and sometimes I can't be so generous wrt motive.     Just have to do it the way you think is right. 

I really do wish people wouldn't cheat, but I'll just be (quietly, for LB's sake) self-righteous and enjoy the day and my results anyway.  It's all you can do, IMO...

Matt

2016-05-23 12:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

LOL!

I wish I were fast enough to be in the company of drafters, TBH.  No place for a slow guy like me in those Oly's!

2016-05-23 12:02 PM

Yep, you'll notice this in most of your races as you do more of them. The best you can do is just try not to let it bother you - it's not worth it as an AGer to fuss over it too much as it'll just keep recurring. 

The two times I did Vineman, I saw at least 3 packs of 2-4 tightly filed drafters - and we're not talking for 1-2 minutes - we're talking 5-10 minutes of drafting, as I was tailing the group out of the draft zone the whole way. I've even seen motomarshals come through with no change in their behavior.  

Most of the other races I do I get passed by some bike duo separated by less than 3 feet of wheelspace, and they're clearly staying that way for more than a few minutes as they pull ahead but stay locked together.

Only once did I see a pack of 6 in a HIM that was drafting tightly as I pulled ahead of them on a hill, then was still drafting 10 mins later as they passed me on a flat, and was still drafting yet 10-15 mins later on the next climb when I started repassing, and there was a moto with them on the last two times I saw them - I think only one of them got a penalty for the draft.

Makes me wonder if some of these drafters are bike racer/relay participants who are just clueless about the draft rules, as it's so egregious you couldn't possibly make a case for bad timing on a pass. 

At the same time, I've definitely had two episodes where I think the rider ahead of me thought I was drafting (I'm fairly certain I wasnt'), and was taking anti-draft measures - one of them I caught on a sustained climb, and right when I got up behind them they started to unleash the pee break (yep, for real), and the other one I was overtaking on a similar climb started launching snot rockets repeatedly as I was making the pass. I dont' think either are particularly sportsmanlike, and I wouldn't recommend them - they certainly didn't stop me from making the pass.

2016-05-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Beats me......all of those years I spent riding slow with them have not been paid back.  On the now rare days we get to ride together nobody waits for me.

2016-05-23 12:13 PM

Matt

No, I just think it's like most things in life....lots of righteous indignation against people who do things wrong, but no one admitting doing anything wrong.....and yet time and again we see people getting caught doing things they railed on against.    The thing is......I see people complaining about people drafting them and then I see that they have bike splits of 14-16 mph.....and someone was "stuck on their wheel".   Here's the deal with that......someone doing a triathlon at that speed isn't skilled enough to "suck a wheel". 

I remember the triathlons I did back in the 80's.....GIANT bike packs would form.  Nobody cared and there was no whining about "cheating" or anything like that.

I think these days most people get too wrapped up in what others are doing, hence all of the "righteous indignation".  It wears me out.

Option 6: pee (maybe give the drafter an ultimatum first)

On why nobody admits: of course they won't be here.

What about when someone who has a 23-26 mph bike split complains?

Me, I just shout at drafters to try and embarass them into stopping. Shame works wonders.

2016-05-23 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Matt

Well, it was just a sprint, but I did average 21 on a hilly course (I'm slow, but I'm also old ).

I haven't done that many triathlons, and I've never had that happen before. There's no righteous indignation on my part, I can assure you.

2016-05-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by davejustdave

Matt

Option 6: pee (maybe give the drafter an ultimatum first) On why nobody admits: of course they won't be here. What about when someone who has a 23-26 mph bike split complains? Me, I just shout at drafters to try and embarass them into stopping. Shame works wonders.

HAHAHAHA!!!  That's the other thing........I see an awful lot of folks posting u p about their 24, 25, and 26 mph bikes split......when the reality is that it's le3ss than1% of triathletes who can pull that off.  More lying in the interwebs. LOL

Last year I was at the Y and the gal next to me had to tell me she was a triathlete...."really???" I said, "that's amazing!"  She went on to tell me how she had qualified for Las Vegas HIM Nationals.....and how "there's nothing like feeling that wind on your face when you're averaging 25-30 mph on the bike".

I tried to drown myself.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-05-23 12:32 PM
2016-05-23 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Matt

Option 6: pee (maybe give the drafter an ultimatum first) On why nobody admits: of course they won't be here. What about when someone who has a 23-26 mph bike split complains? Me, I just shout at drafters to try and embarass them into stopping. Shame works wonders.

HAHAHAHA!!!  That's the other thing........I see an awful lot of folks posting u p about their 24, 25, and 26 mph bikes split......when the reality is that it's le3ss than1% of triathletes who can pull that off.  More lying in the interwebs. LOL

Last year I was at the Y and the gal next to me had to tell me she was a triathlete...."really???" I said, "that's amazing!"  She went on to tell me how she had qualified for Las Vegas HIM Nationals.....and how "there's nothing like feeling that wind on your face when you're averaging 25-30 mph on the bike".

I tried to drown myself.

ooh, ooh.  when people try to draft me I just increase to 330 watts for about 2 minutes and zig zag. if they can hang on they get the free ride.

2 people biked faster than me on sunday. they must have cheated.

2016-05-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

Matt

I tried to drown myself.

ooh, ooh.  when people try to draft me I just increase to 330 watts for about 2 minutes and zig zag. if they can hang on they get the free ride.

2 people biked faster than me on sunday. they must have cheated.

No, YOU probably cheated!!!!!! 

2016-05-23 1:58 PM

I actually think avoiding "drafting" actually hampers some enjoyment of the race and increases some danger (albeit quite minimally) for AGers like me.
I don't have a problem with the rule or anything, just the generic AGer application (fear?) of the rule. And I was guilty of this poor application early on.

Here's what I mean.
Take a noob (which I am, and will more or less always be), or your generic AGer who's in it to complete the thing and maybe hasn't done very many. They hear "no drafting" and read about how "drafting can lead to penalties/disqualifications" and not really recognize that it really just doesn't apply to them. Sure, I mean, the rules are the baseline and should apply to all and stuff. But, they really don't. And they don't really need to.

I think it leads to more people (completers, casual racers, first timers, etc) riding side by side for too long, bunching up laterally, etc....or not just pulling back over quick enough when they pass.

I'm just not sure that people (non-competitive racers) understand how close you need to be to actually be drafting in the first place, and how outrageously blatant you'd have to be for a marshal to even care. Much less even do something about it. I honestly (because I was guilty of it early on) think that some newer racers are overly careful about not drafting because they heard about it/read it in the rules, even when what they think would be drafting....wouldn't even be drafting. And the overcompensation leads to unnecessary congestion and arguably less safe (but really, very marginally) riding for others.
2016-05-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by jhaack39 I actually think avoiding "drafting" actually hampers some enjoyment of the race and increases some danger (albeit quite minimally) for AGers like me. I don't have a problem with the rule or anything, just the generic AGer application (fear?) of the rule. And I was guilty of this poor application early on. Here's what I mean. Take a noob (which I am, and will more or less always be), or your generic AGer who's in it to complete the thing and maybe hasn't done very many. They hear "no drafting" and read about how "drafting can lead to penalties/disqualifications" and not really recognize that it really just doesn't apply to them. Sure, I mean, the rules are the baseline and should apply to all and stuff. But, they really don't. And they don't really need to. I think it leads to more people (completers, casual racers, first timers, etc) riding side by side for too long, bunching up laterally, etc....or not just pulling back over quick enough when they pass. I'm just not sure that people (non-competitive racers) understand how close you need to be to actually be drafting in the first place, and how outrageously blatant you'd have to be for a marshal to even care. Much less even do something about it. I honestly (because I was guilty of it early on) think that some newer racers are overly careful about not drafting because they heard about it/read it in the rules, even when what they think would be drafting....wouldn't even be drafting. And the overcompensation leads to unnecessary congestion and arguably less safe (but really, very marginally) riding for others.

well racing side by side is another penalty. if you are overtaken you drop back to non drafting distance. its simple and safe.

2016-05-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

well racing side by side is another penalty. if you are overtaken you drop back to non drafting distance. its simple and safe.

Right, but they still have to overtake you. And yah, they're supposed to take only x seconds to do it.

For some reason though....this doesn't resonate nearly like "no drafting" does to a noob.
Mainly because nobody's ever going to overtake us. Amiright?

I hear that whoosh whoosh of wheels that cost more than my bike, and I cease consideration of passing anyone and stay far right, but keep going as fast as I can. Most times, I just wave them on by or tell them to go for it. Especially if there's someone in front of me that they're thinking I might pass. "God, I hope that AGer doesn't pull out in front of me to pass that other AGer. Please please please!!!."

"Oh sweet, he just waved me on."

If I roll up a bit on whoever's in front of me, so be it. I don't have the nerve to get close enough to draft. And the guy/gal flying by me will be gone in seconds and I can pull around anyone in front of me. Just common sense. If they'd stress that for noobs, and not so much big scary drafting rules, we'd all have a better run at it.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-05-23 2:20 PM
2016-05-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Lenexa, KS

Option 6: pee (maybe give the drafter an ultimatum first)

On why nobody admits: of course they won't be here.

What about when someone who has a 23-26 mph bike split complains?

Me, I just shout at drafters to try and embarass them into stopping. Shame works wonders.

Came here to say this.

Have you guys read Chrissie Wellingtons biography? She mentions and I quote "Firing a warning shot" if there were girls sitting in her draft zone too long.

Maybe a little extreme for a beginning AG type of race, but it is an option.
2016-05-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by jhaack39

Right, but they still have to overtake you. And yah, they're supposed to take only x seconds to do it. For some reason though....this doesn't resonate nearly like "no drafting" does to a noob. Mainly because nobody's ever going to overtake us. Amiright? I hear that whoosh whoosh of wheels that cost more than my bike, and I cease consideration of passing anyone and stay far right, but keep going as fast as I can. Most times, I just wave them on by or tell them to go for it. Especially if there's someone in front of me that they're thinking I might pass. "God, I hope that AGer doesn't pull out in front of me to pass that other AGer. Please please please!!!." "Oh sweet, he just waved me on." If I roll up a bit on whoever's in front of me, so be it. I don't have the nerve to get close enough to draft. And the guy/gal flying by me will be gone in seconds and I can pull around anyone in front of me. Just common sense. If they'd stress that for noobs, and not so much big scary drafting rules, we'd all have a better run at it.

zero sympathy for someone who can't take the time to read the rules that make you safe.  if I'm on a group ride I don't care how fast or slow you are, don't run red lights.  same goes for a triathlon.

the rules are exceedingly simple.  stay to the right 3 bike lengths behind anyone else.  move left to pass and do it within 15 seconds.  if someone's front wheel passes your front wheel by an inch, you must back off and be at least 3 bike lengths behind them before you may re-pass. 

period. end of story.  follow the rules and be safe.

2016-05-23 3:11 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I was annoyed at the idea of drafting but it struck me that I've only actually seen it once in the first HIM I did. There was a guy absolutely plastered to a woman's wheel, and as I passed, I said, "dude, if you're going to be that close, you should really buy her dinner." I was so proud of my quip that I actually didn't care. Also...I was passing them, and I was a horrible biker back then, so it obviously wasn't helping. Since then I haven't seen it so, out of site...

Come out of the water at the front and you barely see enough riders to even make a pack, and that's through the entire race. In B2B I saw 4 guys total on the entire 56 mile bike course from the half, with over 1,000 racers. I don't see how it's a problem at the FOP just due to the inherent spacing of the FOP athletes.*

*I'm not saying that I'm FOP, but I am a decent swimmer so I get to see the FOP guys wiz past me on the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting....A question arose yesterday. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4043 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3447 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1610 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

Bike Drafting vs. Swim Drafting

Started by jjweav
Views: 1129 Posts: 13

2006-04-20 4:16 PM KSH

draft or no draft

Started by runmacride
Views: 1136 Posts: 13

2004-09-15 10:33 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.