General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Grouper Dies in Chattanooga Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-23 6:09 AM

User image

Subject: Age Grouper Dies in Chattanooga
This came up on my FB feed this morning. Having done numerous 70.3s and 2 IMs, I know these accidents happen from time to time, but the question becomes, does this deter your desire to race long course?

I feel there is a risk in anything that we do, but unfortunate events like this one sure does put our lives in perspective: live each day to its fullest.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/outdoors/story/2016/may/2...

2016-05-23 7:02 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Subject: RE: Age Grouper Dies in Chattanooga
I am more concerned in short course because I redline a lot more as opposed to long course. Does it enter my mind, absolutely. Especially as I get older. It doesn't deter me. Could happen in training or if I just sat around all day. Condolences to the family, that's got to be difficult.
2016-05-23 7:24 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Not at all, I probably have a greater chance of dying driving to work in the morning.
2016-05-23 7:31 AM
in reply to: #5183171

User image

Franklin, TN
I raced there yesterday. So sorry to hear this. Condolences to the the family and friends.

The swim was wetsuit legal with a reported temp of 73F...so not really cold. There was a lot more contact on the upstream portion this year...no telling if that was a contributing factor.
2016-05-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Condolences to the family.

It seems there is at least one IM swim death each year. Usually we find out later that they were an experienced swimmer and maybe had an unknown heart condition, or it was just their time. The thing about the swim is that with the scrum that is the nature of the swim someone in trouble is less likely to be noticed by other racers and get the needed attention. It's sad, but it certainly doesn't deter me from endurance sports.  

2016-05-23 10:16 AM
in reply to: #5183182

User image

As I have gotten older, I have come to realize that my real regrets are not trying more things and letting other people's fears control my life. This is a tragedy, but I would rather die giving something a shot than whither away without feeling that I lived.

2016-05-23 10:31 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by happyscientist As I have gotten older, I have come to realize that my real regrets are not trying more things and letting other people's fears control my life. This is a tragedy, but I would rather die giving something a shot than whither away without feeling that I lived.

QFT

2016-05-23 10:46 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Jeff B This came up on my FB feed this morning. Having done numerous 70.3s and 2 IMs, I know these accidents happen from time to time, but the question becomes, does this deter your desire to race long course? I feel there is a risk in anything that we do, but unfortunate events like this one sure does put our lives in perspective: live each day to its fullest. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/outdoors/story/2016/may/2...

In the majority of these incidents, it seems to be the case that the race was not the cause, but was really just the "trigger".  The cause was an un-diagnosed heart condition.  If it didn't happen during the race, it would have been shoveling snow.

2016-05-23 10:59 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I once read an article, published by a Sports MD FWIW, that made the point that the reason these tragic events occur during the swim portion is because the heart rate is elevated so rapidly. It is the morning so ones HR is naturally lower, you are working hard physically and it can be very anxiety provoking when you are pushed down so another swimmer can swim over you. The proposed solution was to do some activity prior to the swim that makes you start to sweat, that would be enough to get the HR up a bit before the stress of the swim.

I would never quit sport. I found triathlon in my 30's, my first 70.3 was in 2011 and I am currently training for my first full Ironman. Triathlon has changed my life in so many positive ways. I enjoy training and racing, my husband and I travel all over the country to race - he plays golf, but it works nicely

I do think that for the Half and Full Ironman distances changes need to be made to keep people safe during the swim. I know some people think that the washing machine start to races is part of the triathlon experience and that makes us just a little tougher than the average bear. I can take the elbowing and kicking but every 70.3 I have done, when we are way the heck out there and no officials are patrolling, I have been pushed down and swum over. It is terrifying and I've taken on water. Having more SUP or kayaks officially patrolling, handing out penalties, might deter this unsportsmanlike conduct and would potentially catch an athlete in need early on when intervention is most successful.
2016-05-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Jeff B This came up on my FB feed this morning. Having done numerous 70.3s and 2 IMs, I know these accidents happen from time to time, but the question becomes, does this deter your desire to race long course? I feel there is a risk in anything that we do, but unfortunate events like this one sure does put our lives in perspective: live each day to its fullest. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/outdoors/story/2016/may/2...

In the majority of these incidents, it seems to be the case that the race was not the cause, but was really just the "trigger".  The cause was an un-diagnosed heart condition.  If it didn't happen during the race, it would have been shoveling snow.

First, condolences to the family and friends of the racer.

Definitely seems to be true in many if not even the majority of cases, from info on posts done.  I do wonder how many are actual drownings, rather than latent cardiac events. 

I took a lung full at the pool about a year ago and thought I was gonna die. Crawled out onto the deck unable to breath and feeling panic rising, and then figured (in that strangely clear way that sometimes happens when $h1t is hitting the rotor) that if couldn't clear my airway myself, I'd probably just pass out and the lifeguard would be able to clear it for me.  Managed to cough out the water in my lung and breathe again after a looooong 45 seconds, but was done for the day! 

The best part was the look on my kids' swim team's faces after, as they were practicing a couple lanes over at the same time! 

I have wondered, though, what would have happened had I mis-timed my breath and done the same thing say at a race start in the middle of the "washing machine."  Would I make it to a kayak?  Could I attract attention?  Has this been the cause of perhaps some of the deaths not explained by a cardiac event (and there have been several - mostly pulmonary findings on post)?

Won't keep me from racing; just an experience that makes me think.  I am curious about how often it happens and why.

Matt

2016-05-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

This happened at Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2 or 3 years ago. Very sad. It was a cardiac event. Kayaker got to him within seconds and he was on a boat receiving CPR within a minute, to no avail.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Grouper Dies in Chattanooga Rss Feed