General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race suits.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-23 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Race suits..
What's the advantage of the newer partial sleeved suits I am starting to see pop up? I just noticed the last couple races I've done my tri suit for the first mile or so likes to pop open a bit up top while it's wet when I'm in aero. (It only stays that way for a couple minutes at most) It isn't a big deal really, but I wondered if it's worth upgrading...

2016-05-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Race suits..
Originally posted by Bevie

What's the advantage of the newer partial sleeved suits I am starting to see pop up? I just noticed the last couple races I've done my tri suit for the first mile or so likes to pop open a bit up top while it's wet when I'm in aero. (It only stays that way for a couple minutes at most) It isn't a big deal really, but I wondered if it's worth upgrading...

Sleeved tri suits are more aero, so it gets you a little bit of free speed on the bike. I think Marc had posted some numbers on this before when he was track testing gear.
2016-05-24 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In my case, the real advantage would be that my shoulders wouldn't get fried.That always seems to be what gets burned in my tropical races, no matter how much sunscreen I use, probably because I don't normally expose them on long rides (wear a jersey) and I pretty much always run early AM. The rest of me is pretty dark already and won't burn. Aero-ness would be icing on the cake (though, admittedly, my biking needs all the help it can get)!
2016-05-24 12:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner

In my case, the real advantage would be that my shoulders wouldn't get fried.That always seems to be what gets burned in my tropical races, no matter how much sunscreen I use,

I don't need a tropical race to get burned. If there's a full moon out still while setting up in transition, I'm susceptible.
If I stand in front of the fridge too long deciding on turkey or ham for my sandwich, I better be sunscreened up.

I can "get" my shoulders with sunscreen. It's the shoulder blade area that I can't reach on my own. Did one race where they had sunscreeners gooping people up going out for the run. Very nice. But, they didn't quite get full coverage back there. Fortunately, a square inch or three fried to a crisp is tolerable.
2016-05-25 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Race suits is really low hanging fruit from a dollars to watts stand point. Having any tight fitting piece of clothing offers a big savings over anything that is loose and baggy, but beyond that, the newer 2.0 suits as I am calling them, are getting really good.

In version 1.0 the idea was just to make sleeved suit without a lot of thought into mobility. These new suits are wicked fast saving people up to 20 watts of aero drag over a nice tight fitting kit, but offer great mobility. This year I am working with a team that went with Champ Sys but I did not have the opportunity to test it in the wind tunnel and so I remain slightly skeptical over the performance of some other things I have tested like this

LG M:2 - http://amzn.to/1OOdKVH

The nice thing about this suit is it feels amazing, at the end of the race isn't super baggy like a lot of the other suits, was designed straight up with aerodynamics in mind and even has the alphamantis seal of approval. Alphamantis is the crew that did the software for the track where everyone is doing their aero testing now. I have swam with this suit zipped up all the way and on all the way but unzipped and has worked great both ways.
2016-05-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, I look a bit like a Yeti.  My kids (and most spectators) laugh like he11 when they see these big puffs of hair poling out from the shoulders of my top.  Sort of a mature Silverback look, IMO.  TMI??

One BTer estimated that my aero advantage to shaving the arms/shoulders would be better than a disc wheel. 

That said, what are your favorite 2.0 suits/manufacturers?   I'd actually love to "tri" (sorry) one of these, but just don't know where to start.  Seems the old threads I've dug up mostly reference what you might call 1.0 suits, and that they're moving along quickly?

It's hard to go by manufacturers' web sites, as they have an obvious vested interest in their own gear...

Would love to hear what else (in addition to the link above) y'all are diggin' in the newest gear for tri!

Matt

2016-05-26 11:30 AM

User image

Bethany, Illinois
I'm racing in a sleeved 2XU tri-suit this year and I love it.... not sure that I'm having any gains as far as bike times... rained on the bike in my race last weekend, but on a comfort level I love it.
2016-05-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
, California

It's nice to see short sleeve options but I wish there were more long sleeve items on the market.  Mostly for sun protection; I'd be happy even if it was drag-neutral.

2016-05-26 2:38 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri Race suits is really low hanging fruit from a dollars to watts stand point. Having any tight fitting piece of clothing offers a big savings over anything that is loose and baggy, but beyond that, the newer 2.0 suits as I am calling them, are getting really good. In version 1.0 the idea was just to make sleeved suit without a lot of thought into mobility. These new suits are wicked fast saving people up to 20 watts of aero drag over a nice tight fitting kit, but offer great mobility. This year I am working with a team that went with Champ Sys but I did not have the opportunity to test it in the wind tunnel and so I remain slightly skeptical over the performance of some other things I have tested like this LG M:2 - http://amzn.to/1OOdKVHThe nice thing about this suit is it feels amazing, at the end of the race isn't super baggy like a lot of the other suits, was designed straight up with aerodynamics in mind and even has the alphamantis seal of approval. Alphamantis is the crew that did the software for the track where everyone is doing their aero testing now. I have swam with this suit zipped up all the way and on all the way but unzipped and has worked great both ways.

Thanks for the input Thomas. I just have to decide if I want to "pony up" that kind of money for a race suit...I mean I've already spent thousands on this sport..whats another 300 right? (really if falls to if the "war department"(wife) allows me to spend that kind of dough on a race suit)

2016-05-26 5:18 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I am a really bag fan of the Louis Garneau M:2 (http://amzn.to/22qTqBF). I have raced it in 4x 70.3 this year, before my team kits came in. My team kits are the Champion System Apex and I can say that I much prefer the LG. It is a really nice suit and clearly they put a lot of time into. It is also readily available.

Beyond that I have tested the Coure 2n1 Gold suit which I also like. I also have worked with 2XU for the past 5-6 years, seems like forever, anyway, last year I had custom sleeved suits made that were size small. They ended up being too big and I opted to usually wear my sleeveless.

2016-05-26 5:21 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Well you can always ask me for Trisports code. I have 20% off codes that can save you a few bucks, but yes, this sport is crazy expensive. The benefit though is a lot cheaper than buying a new bike, that should at least help the sale with the significant other. $3000 or $300

2016-05-26 6:45 PM
in reply to: #5183387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Yeah, I have a 20% off coupon with them right now and I believe a 20 dollar off coupon as well...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race suits.. Rss Feed