General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3rd race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2016-05-24 5:17 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: 3rd race
Hi BT

D-5 until my 3rd race ever. 3rd year I do the same sprint. First time, I was suffering from anemia, last year I had calves and back problems.
This year, despite starting training later (much later) and not training so much (which might explain the lack of injury mind you), I feel ready. Ran 10k and rode 36k at the weekend, so the 5k run and 20k ride will feel easy in comparison, even if I do then one after the other. Not worried about the swim. I have swam in the lake with my dog, that's good training.

Had a Dream last night that I completed the sprint in 5 hours because I kept getting lost on the bike and run. If I don't get lost, I should do it in under 1:30 on Sunday.

quite excited

2016-05-24 6:56 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: 3rd race
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hi BT

D-5 until my 3rd race ever. 3rd year I do the same sprint. First time, I was suffering from anemia, last year I had calves and back problems.
This year, despite starting training later (much later) and not training so much (which might explain the lack of injury mind you), I feel ready. Ran 10k and rode 36k at the weekend, so the 5k run and 20k ride will feel easy in comparison, even if I do then one after the other. Not worried about the swim. I have swam in the lake with my dog, that's good training.

Had a Dream last night that I completed the sprint in 5 hours because I kept getting lost on the bike and run. If I don't get lost, I should do it in under 1:30 on Sunday.

quite excited

It never gets easier, you just get faster!
2016-05-24 6:56 AM

User image

Good luck. It sounds like you should do well, and I am sure that it will take less than 5 hours.
2016-05-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by mike761

Hi BT

quite excited

It never gets easier, you just get faster!

Well, I have a new bike and red cells in my blood so I am planing on going faster!
2016-05-24 8:33 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by happyscientist

Good luck. It sounds like you should do well, and I am sure that it will take less than 5 hours.

Thanks. I Think so too!
2016-05-29 8:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Had a blast, For the first time I was in good shape (even if somewhat untrained) and felt I was competing rather than just completing. Not for a podium, but competing against the clock (goal was under 1:30, finished in 1:27:40) , against the girl in front on the bike, against the one behind me on the run.

Particularly enjoyed the bike, with my new proper racer, went faster than ever. The run went well too, as I managed the 5k under 30 minutes (to most of you, that's painfully slow but I am very happy with that). The swim was OK, I hadn't trained much but it went OK.

Finished 20th out of 28 ladies of all ages, and left 2 men behind too. First time I cross the line before So many people.

The weather was perfect too. A great day. Maybe this time I'll get hooked....

2016-05-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #5183443

User image

Congrats on the race! Getting to the starting line healthy is #1, even if it means being a little undertrained. Nice job on beating your goal, that's motivating!
2016-05-29 3:50 PM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by tjones2k9

Congrats on the race! Getting to the starting line healthy is #1, even if it means being a little undertrained. Nice job on beating your goal, that's motivating!

Thanks!
2016-05-30 11:16 PM

User image

Ventura, California
Wow, sounds like a great race!

When I did my first Olympic last year I made my goal 3:30 and I did it in 3:29! Congrats on making your goal time.

Also completing the 5K in under 30 minutes is NOT painfully slow after swimming and biking. Consider a 3 mile run under 30 minutes passes the US Marine Corp physical fitness test!

Cheers!
2016-05-31 5:50 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by rjcalhoun

Wow, sounds like a great race!

When I did my first Olympic last year I made my goal 3:30 and I did it in 3:29! Congrats on making your goal time.

Also completing the 5K in under 30 minutes is NOT painfully slow after swimming and biking. Consider a 3 mile run under 30 minutes passes the US Marine Corp physical fitness test!

Cheers!

Yes, it was a great race. I am looking forward to the next one already.

I didn't know I was fit enough to join the Marines! thanks for that
2016-08-25 7:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: 3rd race- edit 4th Race now
4th race is on Saturday. At home (start and swim is 500m from my house and the run passes it twice).

Training since May has been on and off, mainly off to be honest and I haven't done anything for 2 weeks due to a nasty bug but I feel healthy now and look forward to it.

main goal: to have FUN. Secondary goal, go under 1:30 again. 3rd goal, have a few people crossing the finish line Before me.

they have a really short tri for kids and my son want to try. so tonight we are going to practice putting socks on wet feet.

2016-08-25 8:46 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Way to go on your third, and good luck on your fourth!

I've found that rolling the socks (basically inside out) makes getting them on really easy. Your toe is right there in the box, and you just roll the sock down your foot.

2016-08-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

, Kronobergs lan
good tip! We'll try that!
2016-08-25 9:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
the 3rd Goal is to have a few people crossing the line AFTER me, of course
2016-08-25 1:26 PM

, Wisconsin
Sounds like you've made good progress. I bet you'll do great on Saturday. Best of luck to you and your son. Hope he has a blast!
2016-08-28 3:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

main goal: to have FUN. :Failed
Secondary goal, go under 1:30 again: Failed
3rd goal, have a few people crossing the finish line after me: 5 did but it had nothing to do with me

2016-08-28 9:21 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by Rollergirl main goal: to have FUN. :Failed Secondary goal, go under 1:30 again: Failed 3rd goal, have a few people crossing the finish line after me: 5 did but it had nothing to do with me

Sorry to hear it! I've found that my worst races give me the most motivation, and lead to better results down the road. Don't hang your head, and keep after it!

2016-08-28 3:27 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by LundyLund

Originally posted by Rollergirl main goal: to have FUN. :Failed Secondary goal, go under 1:30 again: Failed 3rd goal, have a few people crossing the finish line after me: 5 did but it had nothing to do with me

Sorry to hear it! I've found that my worst races give me the most motivation, and lead to better results down the road. Don't hang your head, and keep after it!

Actually this is very true. I felt like the fat girl huffing and puffing at the back and I never want to feel like that again.

2016-08-29 10:11 AM

, Wisconsin

Originally posted by LundyLund

Actually this is very true. I felt like the fat girl huffing and puffing at the back and I never want to feel like that again.

Hey, you still did something most people could not do as they'd be too exhausted from lifting themselves off the couch. Be proud of what you've done and be motivated to do more. It's a continuous process and you're moving forward!
2016-08-29 10:26 AM

User image

I found after the first race I ever did things changed a bit.  My goal for the first race was have fun and finish.  After that it started becoming about time and place.  In hindsight most races were fun even if they didn't seem it at the time.  some might not have seemed fun at the time because I am pretty critical of myself.  Even if I came in first OA I'd still find things I did wrong most likely. Hasn't happened yet !    Anyway fast forward a number of years and I did a HIM last year with an injured leg.  Went into it with zero expectations and no goals other then fun.  It dawned on me in the middle of the race how much fun this stuff is.  I was able to take a little extra time and chat with people.  The second half of the run was extremely painful but I had a ball because I didn't care where I finished. 

So give it a day or two.  Might seem fun after all.  Either way, congrats on gutting it out. 

2016-08-29 3:17 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by MikeD1

Hey, you still did something most people could not do as they'd be too exhausted from lifting themselves off the couch. Be proud of what you've done and be motivated to do more. It's a continuous process and you're moving forward!

Yes. I wanted to give up after the bike but didn't. The run was 2 laps. I wanted to give up after the first one but didn't. I am quite pleased with that.

2016-08-29 3:19 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I found after the first race I ever did things changed a bit.  My goal for the first race was have fun and finish.  After that it started becoming about time and place.  In hindsight most races were fun even if they didn't seem it at the time.  some might not have seemed fun at the time because I am pretty critical of myself.  Even if I came in first OA I'd still find things I did wrong most likely. Hasn't happened yet !    Anyway fast forward a number of years and I did a HIM last year with an injured leg.  Went into it with zero expectations and no goals other then fun.  It dawned on me in the middle of the race how much fun this stuff is.  I was able to take a little extra time and chat with people.  The second half of the run was extremely painful but I had a ball because I didn't care where I finished. 

So give it a day or two.  Might seem fun after all.  Either way, congrats on gutting it out. 

2 days later, I still think it wasn't fun at all but I am determined to train hard(er) to make sure it is fun next time
2016-08-29 3:20 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your kind words everybody.
2016-08-29 5:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Rollergirl,

Don't be bummed about being in the back of the pack. I was 60 when I did a HIM this year. On the self-seeded swim I was probably number 2950 out of 3000 to enter the water. That assured that I was BOP all day. I did reasonably well on the bike but frankly ran only about 40% of the run. Finished in 8:21:55 out of the 8:30 max time allotted for an official finish. So I shared the bike and run with other people who were slow...because of their weight, age, pace, maybe lack of preparation...who knows? All I know is that for all the years that I have volunteered at IM events and now that I am doing triathlon, I've find found most inspiration from my "peeps" at the back of the pack.

When I begin to get tired of the seemingly endless stream of people cheering me because of the obvious physical appearance of my age, I try to remember the sincerity with which that encouragement is delivered.

I am probably the most impressed with those BOP'ers that are leaving a life of obesity and poor health, resolving to change their lives via the road to fitness. And yes, I can't resist throwing out a "we've got this" or "looking good" if I pass them. Some day you and I will both be fitter and faster and I hope we never forget what it took us to get there.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-08-29 5:35 PM
2016-08-30 1:42 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by HaydenHunter

Rollergirl,

Don't be bummed about being in the back of the pack. I was 60 when I did a HIM this year. On the self-seeded swim I was probably number 2950 out of 3000 to enter the water. That assured that I was BOP all day. I did reasonably well on the bike but frankly ran only about 40% of the run. Finished in 8:21:55 out of the 8:30 max time allotted for an official finish. So I shared the bike and run with other people who were slow...because of their weight, age, pace, maybe lack of preparation...who knows? All I know is that for all the years that I have volunteered at IM events and now that I am doing triathlon, I've find found most inspiration from my "peeps" at the back of the pack.

When I begin to get tired of the seemingly endless stream of people cheering me because of the obvious physical appearance of my age, I try to remember the sincerity with which that encouragement is delivered.

I am probably the most impressed with those BOP'ers that are leaving a life of obesity and poor health, resolving to change their lives via the road to fitness. And yes, I can't resist throwing out a "we've got this" or "looking good" if I pass them. Some day you and I will both be fitter and faster and I hope we never forget what it took us to get there.

Thanks for sharing.
I would be also very happy to be BOP at a HIM at the age of 60, or if I was very overweight.. But I am 46, only doing sprints and didn't get into the sport to lose weight. (Just as well, as I am actually bigger than when I started)
Not massively overweight (150 Pounds for 5 ft1) but I could do with losing at least 10 or 12 Pounds. I naively thought that doing tris would make them disappear without me even noticing. How wrong was I!
I have to work for it, train more than I do and eat properly too. I know that now. So this bad race was a good thing.

No more tris this season but I will train hard this fall/Winter and next year I will not be the fat girl at the back, I promised myself that!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3rd race Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

D - 8 to my 3rd race ever

Started by Rollergirl
Views: 678 Posts: 4

2015-08-21 7:26 AM Rollergirl

3rd race breakdown help

Started by madprops
Views: 785 Posts: 1

2015-05-20 4:45 PM madprops

Fast improvements. 3rd race WAY better than 1st.

Started by faded_memories
Views: 678 Posts: 2

2010-06-20 5:50 PM KSH

Lake Lenape triathlon Race Report - 3rd o'all

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 870 Posts: 9

2005-07-14 9:14 AM BrianPBN

Last night's brick workout turned into a 5K race with a 3rd place finish

Started by jmc1888
Views: 1144 Posts: 9

2004-06-11 8:30 AM jmc1888
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.