General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from N. Dallas area Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-24 10:07 AM

Subject: Newbie from N. Dallas area
New here and I'm learning from all the information on the site.

I'm a runner and cyclist interested in trying triathlon. I've never done any swimming at all so this is going to be a challenge.

A couple of questions:
1. Any recommended swimming instructors/programs in the Far North Dallas area?
2. Recommended Tri clubs in the area? DFW Tri Club and Triple Threat Tough both seem to have workouts that are conveniently close by.

My first step is to get some swimming instruction and practice but I'm still exploring the best way to do that. I have much to learn - starting with the basic fundamentals.

Thanks!

2016-05-24 11:25 AM
in reply to: texag

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Newbie from N. Dallas area

Welcome! I can't recommend any particular coach, but when I got started, I did the beginner swimmer program on BT. It was pretty helpful just to get me going. Almost two years later, I finally have sprung for a coach.

I used to do workouts with PlayTri - they have a location up in McKinney, one in Plano and one in Dallas. I think the McKinney and Dallas stores have the indoor pool where the coach can evaluate your technique. I did an OWS with PlayTri at Lake Lewisville. It was very helpful - they broke us into two groups, beginners and experienced. The guy who handled the beginners, James Rahbany, was very helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable on the swim.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from N. Dallas area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie in Halifax NS Canada

Started by mlumsde2
Views: 946 Posts: 5

2008-09-20 2:25 PM gsmacleod

N. IL newbie

Started by markrob44p
Views: 573 Posts: 4

2008-07-03 8:50 AM markrob44p

Hello to everybody from the Dallas area

Started by jcbolton
Views: 734 Posts: 5

2007-02-19 8:41 AM sgt2133

New to BT from the Dallas Area

Started by tri4funjeff
Views: 627 Posts: 10

2006-07-18 3:24 PM jcagg90

Another newbie from Dallas area

Started by hartphoto
Views: 921 Posts: 6

2005-01-21 10:20 AM Ozmokis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!