General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEW ATHLETE-gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-24 11:30 AM

Subject: NEW ATHLETE-gear
I have decided to train for a triathlon! I've been training some with my boyfriend (who is very experienced (i.e. Iron man, competes at nationals, travels to do dif tris-very strong dude)and what not). I am a girl and I am looking for some bike shorts (or should I save the hassle and get a tri suit?), but nothing super expensive because I am new to this- trying to try it out- and I don't have a good bike or anything. Anything helps!

2016-05-24 12:10 PM
in reply to: Emilykm11

Subject: RE: NEW ATHLETE-gear
Originally posted by Emilykm11

I have decided to train for a triathlon! I've been training some with my boyfriend (who is very experienced (i.e. Iron man, competes at nationals, travels to do dif tris-very strong dude)and what not). I am a girl and I am looking for some bike shorts (or should I save the hassle and get a tri suit?), but nothing super expensive because I am new to this- trying to try it out- and I don't have a good bike or anything. Anything helps!

You are going to probably want a tri suit for the race itself, but for training I would get a separate pair of bike shorts it will just help with longer rides. I found some great deals on Sierra Trading Post when I bought my tri suit this past winter. They are always running sales and free shipping, but if you also google you can find discount codes.
2016-05-24 11:09 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

Originally posted by cdoug55

Originally posted by Emilykm11

You are going to probably want a tri suit for the race itself, but for training I would get a separate pair of bike shorts it will just help with longer rides. I found some great deals on Sierra Trading Post when I bought my tri suit this past winter. They are always running sales and free shipping, but if you also google you can find discount codes.

I will second S.T.P.! If you are in facebook, follow sierra trading post and you will see when they post voupon codes for 20-40% off whatever their normal dosvounts are.

The 40% codes usually are on wed snd only last for a few hours
2016-05-25 8:46 AM

User image

For your first race, you could just use tri shorts (instead of a full suit) and a t-shirt. Heck, I have seen people do entire races in swimming suits. I have found that swimoutlet.com has a really good selection of tri shorts for a good price. I am a Shebeest fan, myself.
2016-05-25 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I really recommend getting trishorts. You can train in them and race in them, then you'll be used to the thinner pad. Plus, if you decide you don't want to do anymore, then you've only bought the one pair. Just wash them out in the shower/sink and drip dry. I don't like training in my trisuit because it is a hassle to go to the bathroom. Just bear in mind that you shouldn't do a ton of pool swimming in your tri gear, as it isn't well suited to chlorine.
Good luck and have fun training! The gear can be fun, but don't feel like you need the flashy stuff to do well.
2016-05-25 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
A good quality short goes a long way. With that being said, I will save you some time and money. Don't bother wasting your money on trishorts. If you want something to train in you want cycling bib shorts. I would get a separate suit to race in. If you ever need a 20% off coupon code from Trisports that can be used anytime in 2016 just message me. They are one-time use individuals code so I just can't post them.

2016-05-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Originally posted by Atlantia

I really recommend getting trishorts. You can train in them and race in them, then you'll be used to the thinner pad. Plus, if you decide you don't want to do anymore, then you've only bought the one pair. Just wash them out in the shower/sink and drip dry. I don't like training in my trisuit because it is a hassle to go to the bathroom. Just bear in mind that you shouldn't do a ton of pool swimming in your tri gear, as it isn't well suited to chlorine.
Good luck and have fun training! The gear can be fun, but don't feel like you need the flashy stuff to do well.

I agree about the tri shorts. Sierra Trading Post is definitely a great site. You can go to one of your local tri or bike shops, try on shorts just to see what brand and what fit suits you best. Then you can find them online with STP or Backcountry, or one of the other discount sites. There are tons!

I never liked biking in regular bike shorts with a thick pad especially for the shorter distances. Tri shorts are most comfy to me. Wear any type of athletic top that is relatively fitted just to avoid unnecessary drag.
2016-05-26 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5183518

Thank you all soooooo muchyou guys are the best!!!
2016-05-27 12:34 AM

I am another Sierra Trading Post Fan. I've bought Pearl Izumi and Canari stuff there. They also have Zoot Sports and Castelli. You can search by brand. Get on their mailing list and they will bombard you with specials on a nearly daily basis.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEW ATHLETE-gear Rss Feed