General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 51s
Overall Rank = 136/370
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 31/50
Pre-race routine:

Being 1 month for our 70.3, training had been sporadic. I approached the race casually. I was nursing a lower left calf strain and was unsure if I would be able to run. It has slowed me from running for the past week. I have a new pair of shoes that I used for a 1 miles training run, and am hoping these will help with the calf pain.

Woke at 4:40 and showered. For breakfast, I ate a bowl of oatmeal with banana and maple syrup, coffee and 2 clementines. We left the house at 5 and arrived onsite at 5:30. Made our way to transition and got set up. We were fortunate to be bib # 68 and 69 (for wife, ha!) and racked right next to each other for the first time ever. That was really nice.
Event warmup:

I was slow getting out of transition and so we missed the swim warm up. We both briefly got in the water, but athletes were called out prior right after we got wet.

At racetime, the weather was low 40's. Very little wind and it was chilly, but nice.
Swim
  • 34m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

First of all, I did not feel I had a good swim, but I didn't know how bad it was until I finally saw my time.

It was a wave start with approximately 50-60 guys. I edged my way to the first third and ran to the water at the horn. As soon as I dove in and dolphin kicked, my goggled fell down my face. I quickly put them in place and pressed them to my face and hoped for a good seal. No go. Kept leaking and when I looked up to site, all I could see was the sun. Not good. I let this bother me way more than I should have. After over 20 triathlons, I don't know why I was out of sorts.

I started chugging along, feeling the back of stronger swimmers leave me behind. I made the first turn and focused on relaxing and just swimming cleanly. After the second buoys, someone kicked my watch and I heard it beep. Did it pause? Did it think I was in T1? I contemplated what to do and ultimately decided to leave it alone. I was thinking about leaving my watch in T1 anyhow, so I don't know what I was distracted by this. I swam to shore until my fingers hit sand and then I exited the water for re-entry on lap 2. I peaked at my watch and saw I was in "transition". I left it and started swimming. On the way out, I was kicked again and my watch beeped. WTH! I wish I had left it behind. I looked up again to site and couldn't see, just sun. Since the swim exit was about 100 yards South of the swim start, the route out to the 1st buoy on lap 2 took a different angle. Normally I swim very straight, but I found myself off course a few times. Eventually, I made the turn right and felt more comfortable (for the final 300 meters). I'm not sure how much extra swimming I did, but my siting was not great.
What would you do differently?:

I should have relaxed more. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. My swim has been feeling good and I'm averaging about 1.40/100 in the pool in all my swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

When I entered transition, I saw my wife (racked next to me). Her wave went off about 3 minutes before mine. I was expecting to have passed her in the water, but with my awful swim, I was not real surprised that she was there. She told me "you better hurry up" and then she left. I was a little bit cold. so I took the time to put on my arm warmers. They probably were not needed and it definitely slowed me down. I also put on socks, which I don't normally do for Oly distances. I finally got out of transition and ran with my shoes on (the parking lots surface is very rough, and with frozen feet, it's even worse).

Did not need the arm warmers...they took at least an extra 30 seconds to slide on.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 8s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as you leave transition there is a slight incline to get out of the park. I got clipped in and prepared to go to work as soon as we exited the park. As soon as we turned right onto the main road I started pushing. I wanted to catch wife as soon as possible, and I did about 1 miles up the road. It was really nice seeing her and also knowing where she was on course, as I could watch for her. I really wanted to push pretty hard, because at this point I had no idea if the calf/leg was going to allow me to run. I did a good job of drinking my Infinit (one bottle in my fuelslage and one BTA. I took about 3/4 of a waffle at about mile 20.

One highlight of the ride was seeing a lady I recognize from years past. She's about 50 years old and rides the exact same Shiv as me. She wins her AG every year and normally passes me about mile 5 of the bike. This year, I was the one who passed her and I never saw her again.

At about mile 20, I realized that I had not taken any nutrition apart from the Infinit. Not sure I needed it, but I quickly gobbled up a Honey Stinger Waffle, just in case.

I pushed into T2 knowing that I had had a pretty decent bike. Since I didn't know what to expect on the run, I decided to speed through with a quick transition and get to work.

As I approached transition, I decided to take my feet out of the shoes to prepare for a flying dismount. I wanted my T2 to be much more "finished" than T1 had been (where I was a bit out of sorts). This proved to be a bad decision. My rack position was on the opposite side of the bike entry so I had to run all the way through transition without shoes. For some reason, this surface is extremely rough, so I ran gingerly. If I had run with my shoes on, I probably would have been a little faster and feet not hurting.

I can't think of too many mistakes I made on the bike. I rode pretty hard. I did not bomb the big downhills like I could have, but that is mainly because there was some course congestion and I did not fully trust the people in front of me not to veer off the course. I could have probably taken in the waffle earlier, but I'm not sure the timing was really off.

One final note: the course was in relatively good condition, however, the center line between the two lanes had a very large gap that has developed in the last year. This meant that moving to the left side lane was pretty dangerous unless you took a hard angle. Because of this, I was not as adventurous in passing as I could have been.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

T2 went pretty well, except for the previously mentioned running on the pavement. I didn't save any time by removing my shoes and may have lost a few seconds.
Run
  • 52m 41s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run and had the usual tight feeling in the legs. It took me about a mile to get my legs under me. I like this run course. There are a few slight inclines, but nothing too bad and the winding trail provides decent scenery as well as a few crossbacks allowing me to watch for wife.

I was running at about a 9min pace for the first mile. I inched it up a bit for miles 2-3. I felt pretty good and needed to do something to increase the pace. At about mile 4.5 I decided to start running in intervals (similar to what I do in training sometimes, but not enough). I decided to run 1 min by watch "fast" and then recover for 1 min at about 9/min pace. My "faster" pace was in the low 7's. I did this until about mile 5:75 and then just tried to run hard to the finish. About .1 mile from the finish, my right hamstring "tugged". I thought I was going to cramp, but I slowed down a touch and it went away. I ran to the finish and felt pretty good about my race.

Good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal, water and quickly grabbed my bag (right by transition and put some dry clothes on. Then, I headed to the run course to watch for wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This would have been a PR race for me, but my swim was just awful. In mid race, I didn't feel great about it, but when I saw the results, I was very disappointed. Despite a good bike and run, my swim was awful and my T1 was below average.

Event comments:

I really like KC Tri. I think Ultramax always delivers a very good value, and run the race correctly. Nothing to complain about. The swag was nice, the course is fun and fair, (although it can get slightly congested on the bike course), they really do a good job on all aspects of the event.

Last updated: 2016-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:41 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/370
Performance: Bad
Suit: full
Course: The course was 2 laps of a clockwise loop. Heading from the beach it was due East, directly into the sun about 250M before a right turn. Upon completing the 1st lap, you ran onto the beach for a few feet before re-entering for the 2nd lap.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:08 | 24.6 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:41 | 06.2 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Two laps, mostly on a mixed use path. The past is soft gravel and has a few patches of deeper/sandy gravel and some water runnoff ruts.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-24 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by dprocket
Views: 1000 Posts: 3

2015-05-21 9:04 PM aviatrix802

Started by mikec123
Views: 1028 Posts: 3

2015-05-19 10:00 AM Barkeep

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1629 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:42 AM reecealan

Started by dprocket
Views: 1511 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:01 PM dprocket

Started by reecealan
Views: 1452 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:31 PM dprocket
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.