Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-05-26 7:53 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: OK....Pointy helmet talk.
Too many variables, can they make you faster, yes. But it needs to be the RIGHT helmet for the RIGHT individual. The same helmet may make me faster but not you.

That said the new giro helmet that came out last week as been reportedly the most consistent testing helmet amongst all people its tested on, everyone was faster. A few other helmets fit this category as well, just not as well.

2016-05-26 8:06 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by nc452010

Well, I already have a P2 (aero bike with aero bars); good tires; race wheels and a skin suit. I'm looking for the last extra seconds I can squeeze out. I suppose my next moves are latex tubes and a pointy helmet.

FWIW, I don't consider the cost of the helmet a detractor. I have a helmet to use for training, and I found several used Selectors on Ebay for $59.99.

Thanks for all of the information.

Never buy a used helmet!!! The primary purpose of a helmet is to protect your head in a crash. Helmets are also designed for 1 crash, JUST 1. Then you through it away and buy a new one. You do not know what a used helmet has been thru and no one selling a used helmet is going to tell you they crashed in it.

I crashed in a 1/2 in 2010, off the shoulder into grass at 27 mph. I was checked out, helmet looked fine and I finished the race. When it was over and I took a good look at the helmet, I saw it was actually crack down the center. With a less extreme crash it would simply crush some of the "foam" material, you can't really see this when it happens. That material crushing is what absorbs the impact and saves your head.

Fair enough. Thanks.
2016-05-26 8:08 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by DomerTriGuy @axteraa Which helmet was that first one you mentioned that was replaced?

Rudy Project Wingspan

where is the data on this? It was my impression that it was a decent helmet for everybody, but not the best for anybody

2016-05-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by DomerTriGuy @axteraa Which helmet was that first one you mentioned that was replaced?

Rudy Project Wingspan

where is the data on this? It was my impression that it was a decent helmet for everybody, but not the best for anybody

I have no data, just impressions from reading on ST and elsewhere.  

Re-reading my post I probably shouldn't have said it was a poor choice, just as you said it's almost never the best choice.  I switched to a LG P09 which has a higher likely hood of being better (but it might not be).  I also find it way more comfortable...

2016-05-26 8:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Rudy Project Wingspan

Re-reading my post I probably shouldn't have said it was a poor choice, just as you said it's almost never the best choice.  I switched to a LG P09 which has a higher likely hood of being better (but it might not be).  I also find it way more comfortable...

comfort is important for sure.  I bought the wingspan because I know I wont be doing any testing, and it fit me well.  The wing57 on the other hand I haven't heard many good things about, so I am hesitant to "upgrade"

2016-05-26 8:19 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Rudy Project Wingspan

comfort is important for sure.  I bought the wingspan because I know I wont be doing any testing, and it fit me well.  The wing57 on the other hand I haven't heard many good things about, so I am hesitant to "upgrade"

The wingspan has a small spot that touches the top of my forehead and while not a big deal for short races, if I'm doing a 70.3 it gets really annoying.  It fits my wife perfectly though.

I don't think I've heard anything good about the Wing57.

2016-05-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I've been reading about the newer helmets like the Specialized TT and Giro Aerohead MIPS helmet, this one sounds interesting. Not available until Aug time-frame but can per ordered. Over on the other site Jim of ERO says the reported numbers for it are conservative and has been good for all that have tested with it.

"Position Influence & Design Breakthrough - I'm not exactly sure why this helmet works for so many people, but it doesn't seem to care about your position. I think it's partly due to some of the length being up front instead of using a longer tail. The "brow" of the helmet is more in front of you, so perhaps that negates the influence of the athlete's shoulders and back? It's also a very narrow helmet when seen from the front, though no one complained it was too narrow for their head."

2016-05-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #5183849

I have the wingspan as well and it is comfortable but don't have any testing to know if it is adding any aero value. I've considered getting a different helmet but with so many contradicting stories for each, I haven't pulled the trigger. I also bought mine used and thought about whether it was a good idea but ultimately did it. It's also why I've had that nagging feeling to get a new one but again, can't figure out which one.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK....Pointy helmet talk. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

OK Bike Helmets DO Matter

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1894 Posts: 3

2013-08-01 6:37 PM Donto

OK....let's talk days "off" from training

Started by nc452010
Views: 1592 Posts: 18

2010-04-16 10:42 AM Apotheosis

Ok, let's talk eating on the bike.

Started by tricrazy
Views: 1640 Posts: 24

2009-01-29 10:18 AM infinIT 1

Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR Pages: 1 2

Started by CarenM
Views: 2373 Posts: 38

2006-07-21 7:40 AM justalittletri

OK People, talk me down.... Pages: 1 2

Started by misanthropic777
Views: 2483 Posts: 33

2006-02-11 3:21 PM csgomez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : February 24, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How much time savings can you expect over the course of a triathlon by using an aero helmet?
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
comments : 1
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.