General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-25 10:57 AM

User image

Subject: Let's talk hydration
It's summertime ... well I live in Miami and it always feels like summer here. But it's beginning to warm up all over so I thought I'd start a thread on hydration.

What do you guys think about the advice "drink to thirst"?

I personally have had to train myself to drink enough fluids during a hot steamy Miami summer. I do a sweat test and then I have a fluid schedule to make sure I'm in good shape for summer training.

So I'm just curious - does drink to thirst work for you or do you use a more methodical system?

2016-05-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Let's talk hydration
If you drink when your thirsty, it's too late.

As you train you tend to figure out how much you really need and drink to a schedule.
2016-05-25 11:04 AM

User image

Hi Amy, I'm also Amy :-)

I tend to just drink to thirst and that has always worked for me. If it's really hot though, I have to add some electrolytes or no amount of water will keep me from getting that heat exhausted feeling after I'm done with my workout.
2016-05-25 11:07 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Yup this is what I've found as well.
2016-05-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: Fitnessgurl

User image

Originally posted by Fitnessgurl

I tend to just drink to thirst and that has always worked for me. If it's really hot though, I have to add some electrolytes or no amount of water will keep me from getting that heat exhausted feeling after I'm done with my workout.

Nice you meet you - beautiful name :-)

Anything over an hour and I use an electrolyte mix. I also pre-load during the summer because I think that makes a big difference in how I feel. Have you tried that?
2016-05-25 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I usually don't worry about hydration on the run for anything less than an hour.  For longer runs, I'll either wear a hydration belt or plan a run that passes by some drinking fountains.  On a couple of occasions I've ducked into convenience stores and picked up a bottle of water or Gatorade (one of the reasons I always carry some cash in my key pocket). 

On the bike I was taught a rule of thumb of drinking one bottle per hour.  That has worked from me.

The last time I actually bonked was after a hard early morning masters swim.  Since then I make sure to take a sip of Gatorade between every set.  I normally go through most of a bottle in an 1-1/2 hour workout.

Mark 

2016-05-25 12:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by miamiamy

Anything over an hour and I use an electrolyte mix. I also pre-load during the summer because I think that makes a big difference in how I feel. Have you tried that?

It sure is, isn't it? :-) By pre-load, do you mean to just drink a ton of water all day before exercise? That I have tried but it seems like I just pee more and don't net anything going into the workout. If it's under 70 degrees and under an hour I think the drinking is more of a security blanket for me ;-)
2016-05-25 3:27 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I normally do the hard arse thing on running and if it is less than 12 miles I just tough it out. Tried that this past Sunday and really paid for it. Struggled to hold my normal long run pace. Had to short cut home and knock a mile off my scheduled run and felt like death. I weighed myself and I lost 5 lbs over the course of the run (I had weighed myself that morning). The thing that really got me is that Monday and Tuesday I had a tremendous amount of muscle soreness. Like I had run a marathon. I rarely have residual muscle fatigue over a day and it's mild at best. But this was real bad. I think I did some damage running on E. Anyone hear of that?
2016-05-25 5:59 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

I normally do the hard arse thing on running and if it is less than 12 miles I just tough it out. Tried that this past Sunday and really paid for it. Struggled to hold my normal long run pace. Had to short cut home and knock a mile off my scheduled run and felt like death. I weighed myself and I lost 5 lbs over the course of the run (I had weighed myself that morning). The thing that really got me is that Monday and Tuesday I had a tremendous amount of muscle soreness. Like I had run a marathon. I rarely have residual muscle fatigue over a day and it's mild at best. But this was real bad. I think I did some damage running on E. Anyone hear of that?

Dehydration can lead to muscle soreness. Your body can't flush out all the build up from the workout. That sounds really uncomfortable though. I hope you feel better.
2016-05-25 6:02 PM
in reply to: Fitnessgurl

User image

Originally posted by miamiamy

It sure is, isn't it? :-) By pre-load, do you mean to just drink a ton of water all day before exercise? That I have tried but it seems like I just pee more and don't net anything going into the workout. If it's under 70 degrees and under an hour I think the drinking is more of a security blanket for me ;-)

So if it was 70 degrees I would do a happy dance. Here it's 83 at 7 am and crazy humidity. So the day or even 2 days before a set of big workouts I make sure I'm drinking plenty of water. Not extra but plenty of water. And because I do such long stuff I will use extra salt the day before a big workout.

So that's what I mean by pre-loading. I think if you start a hot workout behind the ball on hydration - you can really pay a price in feeling crappy and also performance.
2016-05-25 6:07 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

I usually don't worry about hydration on the run for anything less than an hour.  For longer runs, I'll either wear a hydration belt or plan a run that passes by some drinking fountains.  On a couple of occasions I've ducked into convenience stores and picked up a bottle of water or Gatorade (one of the reasons I always carry some cash in my key pocket). 

On the bike I was taught a rule of thumb of drinking one bottle per hour.  That has worked from me.

The last time I actually bonked was after a hard early morning masters swim.  Since then I make sure to take a sip of Gatorade between every set.  I normally go through most of a bottle in an 1-1/2 hour workout.

Mark 

All times except the summer I follow that one hour rule too. But here it's just too humid and hot already so I am carrying my handheld with me for all my runs. I actually don't drink during my masters swim sessions (my stomach can't take it) but it would be better if I could.

When I did my sweat test I go through about 19 ounces an hour. So just under one bottle. A bottle an hour is a good estimate. I know guys who need much more though. And if I'm going more than 90 minutes I don't drink water but an electrolyte drink with sodium and some calories. This is when I think sticking to the schedule is important. When it's hot and humid you may not feel like having another sip of water ... you aren't thirsty per say but if you don't stay on schedule you can pay the price later. That's my opinion. I agree carrying cash is a good thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk hydration Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Let's talk about bike hydration systems

Started by chevy57
Views: 6981 Posts: 11

2009-04-29 4:22 PM BikerGrrrl

Let's talk Bento Boxes/Fuel Boxes...

Started by RunningJayhawk
Views: 1716 Posts: 7

2008-04-02 7:41 PM sty

Let's talk titanium...

Started by basscycle23
Views: 1728 Posts: 17

2008-08-16 4:36 PM trithat

Let's talk taper and food

Started by cavaliercrazy
Views: 900 Posts: 7

2004-09-12 10:55 PM Rowdy

let's talk chafing...

Started by pammy
Views: 1642 Posts: 12

2004-06-21 8:20 PM pammy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.
date : February 28, 2005
author : AMSSM
It is difficult to replace water losses during exercise. The following principles will help prevent dehydration during endurance training and racing.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : October 17, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.