Set Up Events
64F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 140/309
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 17/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Pinehurst the previous night. Woke at 5:45 - the alarm was set for 6.

Got dropped off at 6:35. Started to set up, but the rain came so I kept everything packed in the plastic bags until it stopped.

Eventually I got set up and went down to the water. I started a conversation with a guy from Tega Key and almost missed the start...
Event warmup:

Short swim to get the wet suit wet and loosen up. It was raining pretty hard before the start.
Swim
  • 29m 41s
  • 1656 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took the swim at a very easy pace. I could have pushed harder, but I purposely did not want to burn out too soon. Probably was a bit too conservative.

Navigation was good. I drafted a decent amount. Overall I felt really good and never felt like I was at risk for overdoing it.

I am mentally psyching myself out about pacing, and as a result I didn't push hard enough.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder. I was holding back because of what was ahead, but I think my swim fitness is at a place where I could have definitely pushed it more. I was intimidated by the 10K run throughout the whole race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Great transition. Only issues were the right leg of the wetsuit got stuck. I usually have problems with the timing ship, but that was on the left ankle...

As I was running to the mount line, I noticed that the shoes were closed, so I opened them as I moved. I ran past a couple of people clipping in, jumped on and started moving. I got in the shoes well.

Overall one of my better transitions. I didn't move really fast, but it was solid.

Move faster, open shoes beforehand.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 47s
  • 29.72 miles
  • 19.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, didn't go too hard. I bombed a couple of the big declines to get momentum for the incline that followed, and that worked well.

Average heart rate was 137, so I feel like I didn't overcook the bike.

Overall I felt pretty comfortable and didn't get too far ahead of myself (at least I felt that way). I got into transition and felt really good. I was looking forward to the run.

Not much. Pretty happy with the effort considering I had a 10K left to run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Great transition. Got my feet out of the shoes at the right time and stopped right at the dismount line and ran to the rack. Took my time getting going on the run (drank water, took a few breaths), but felt pretty good.

Move faster
Run
  • 1h 00m 57s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling great. Ran well through the first 5K, but the wheels started coming off right after mile 4. I started to walk the hills and run the downhills. My heart rate was really high, hitting 172 bpm at one point.

In looking at the map of heart rate vs distance, I think I kept the pace too high early and paid for it. I should have been paying attention to heart rate more, which would have slowed me down in the early miles but helped later on.

I don't think I overcooked the bike, but it seems like I overcooked the first 5K of the run.

Not surprising since I have only been doing sprints and my last Oly was 4 years ago

Need longer long runs. My challenge continues to be endurance, although I do feel improvement. The fact that I got through a .9 mile swim, 30 mile bike, and 5K before blowing up shows that endurance is improving. But I have a lot of work to do before my first half ironman in October.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza, drank water, cooled off in the lake. Left for home pretty soon after.

Overall felt pretty good and recovered by the end of the weekend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance. Need to run and overall train longer.

Event comments:

The course is challenging, but the race is very well organized. The swim was great and the bike is a bit hilly, but not overly technical. The run is very hilly and can be brutal (as I found out).

Great people and a great race. I'd definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2016-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:41 | 1656 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 113/309
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Volt Sleeveless
Course: Counterclockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:33:47 | 29.72 miles | 19.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/30
Overall: 111/309
Performance: Good
HR avg = 137 Splits: 1st 5 - 19.6 mph 2nd 5 - 18.7 3rd 5 - 21.0 4th 5 - 18.2 5th 5 - 19.1 Last 4.7 - 17.7
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: One loop, Hilly. A lot of rollers with some steep declines and inclines on the second half of the course. A few longer climbs, but the incline was where I could find the right gear and settle in. All of the turns were on flats and I had plenty of warning, so no issues with the wet roads. Roads were smooth except for one stretch near the halfway point. The ride started on wet pavement, but was dry by the end of the bike leg.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:57 | 06.2 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 214/309
Performance: Below average
HR avg = 157 (woah....) Mile 1 - Pace = 8:56 / HR =149 Mile 2 - Pace = 9:05/ HR =157 Mile 3 - Pace = 9:33/ HR =164 Mile 4- Pace = 9:55/ HR =165 Mile 5 - Pace = 10:34/ HR =161 Mile 6 - Pace = 10:52/ HR =152 To end - Pace = 11:14/ HR = 152
Course: Very hilly course around the lake through a residential area. Well shaded with some areas of sun. Aid station at every mile or so.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-25 2:08 PM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Subject: Pinehurst International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pinehurst International Triathlon

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 1333 Posts: 2

2011-10-05 4:20 AM spot

Started by OEB2ODB
Views: 1229 Posts: 2

2011-10-03 5:34 PM spot

Started by spot
Views: 1432 Posts: 1

2011-10-02 4:41 PM spot

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1521 Posts: 3

2011-10-02 4:49 PM spot

Started by jlahoward
Views: 1425 Posts: 3

2011-10-02 4:52 PM spot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.