General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calve and Shin tightness when running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-25 3:02 PM

User image

Subject: Calve and Shin tightness when running
Hi Everyone,

I'm just getting back into training and ran my first 5K in over 20 years last weekend.

At present I am still extremely overweight (270lbs) and my training load is still light.

I have found that whenever I run more than 4-5 minutes my calves and the muscles that are in front of the shin bone get very tight. During the 5K I took it very slowly but still was only able to run for 10 minutes before my lower legs were so tight that I had to stop and walk for 3/4 of a mile.

This is very frustrating as I believe aerobically I am ready to put 15-20 minute runs together, but this lower leg tightness causes me to stop and walk. Any idea's as to what could be causing this and how to overcome it?

2016-05-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: NealeinMI

User image

Subject: RE: Calve and Shin tightness when running
First of all, congrats on the 5K! Hopefully you keep the momentum going!

I don't weight as much as you (so I'm guess here...) but I would think it's because your legs aren't developed yet. You have a lot of weight bearing down on your calves when landing and if you're just starting to run, then they probably just need to be built up. You could try going slower or try a run/walk routine. Something like run 3 mins and walk 1 minute or 2m/2m. You're going to need to ease into it but it will get easier, more so if you add some dieting in and lose a few pounds here and there. Good luck out there!
2016-05-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Calve and Shin tightness when running
Blastman,

Thanks for the advice.

I did some more reading after posting yesterday and it seems other authors are in agreement with you. I just have to take things more slowly than I was hoping. No worries, I don't have another race planned for 2016. As I get more aerobically fit I'll start doing more biking until the running comes along.

Edited by NealeinMI 2016-05-26 9:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calve and Shin tightness when running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Very sore shin/angle - 2 bumps to right of shin center

Started by porridgebear
Views: 2425 Posts: 2

2011-04-19 7:24 PM vanwas

Running=Lower Back pain/tightness

Started by Plainsman AU
Views: 5686 Posts: 6

2013-12-01 10:08 AM MikeDevenney

Is shin tightness when running shin splints?

Started by Fechter99
Views: 14668 Posts: 11

2008-09-08 12:48 PM Fechter99

calves burn vs shin pain

Started by abyss
Views: 1089 Posts: 3

2007-12-09 3:03 AM AdventureBear

Knees, shins and ankles ....shins and ankles

Started by Itrithere4iam
Views: 951 Posts: 4

2007-02-27 8:23 PM GulfCoastSwimmer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Tightness in the calves is a common complaint amongst triathletes and runners. There are many potential causes of this problem and this article will address some treatment options.

date : January 20, 2014
comments : 0
I have been training for two months now and I am having problems with my lower back. As I run, my lower back gets extremely tight...to the point that I can hardly run.
date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!

date : May 12, 2008
comments : 0
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.
date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.