Drove an hour to Winfield
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 1h 38m 11s
  • 10 kms
  • 09m 49s  min/km
Comments:

Super happy to see the forecast this morning was down to 10% chance of rain! Headed out the door at 8 a.m. and drove to Wheat State Winery south of Winfield. Off of the highways, this is a BEAUTIFUL area, I had no idea. Twisty, windy roads and hilltops. Picked up my packet and had an hour to sit around - ran into my friends Derek and Ashley from what feels like a former life. Ashley is sisters with Jen, who is now married to Tom - remember Tom ya'll? They live in Denver, but had come in for the weekend with their baby. Jen expertly avoided me, but I chatted with Derek and Tom for awhile. Life is funny like that.

Started the race super pumped to hit a mental milestone for recovering from the IMLOU crash. A race. A real race where I start and finish without incident. In the first mile there was a flooded area we had to cross, then immediately up into a steep, rocky hill that had me gasping and heaving. But after that, it was gorgeous and fairly flat. There were areas with gravel, then rocks, then mud, and back again. And there was one more super steep hilly/rocky area where we did a little loop and turn around. But man I really enjoyed this run that ran through wheat and corn fields, the Walnut River, and back to the vinyard/winery.

I did roll my (bad) ankle four times in the first two miles. I knew it wasn't bad, but it didn't feel great. I had to super pay attention to the ground and what my feet were grazing over to not hurt myself. I did end up with some chaffing/rubbing on my achiles area, and a bloody scrape on my shin - and of course MUD CAKED shoes. I feel like a real trail runner now :)

There were four aid stations and two of them had wine - one white and one red. It was so lovely. Just little two-sip cups but how fun!
What would you do differently?:

Run on trails?
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing, I got a nice goodie bag and a wine glass with the wine of my choice. I had one called Red Dog something, the one that was at the last aid station. There was a stage and music and a food truck and everyone was sipping wine and enjoying the day. I decided to go into the tasting room and taste the rest of their reds and the rose - ended up buying a bottle of rose and two of the Red Dog bottles (10% discount yeah!) before heading home.

My only sort of complaint is that by the time I got done (there was also a 5K), there was no carb food left - only bananas and oranges. There was some type of trail mix everyone was eating but they had run out. And the food truck was Italian, so I couldn't eat any of it. But not a huge deal, I ate a banana and was good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Total lack of trail running.

Event comments:

In all, GREAT race and GREAT time. I chatted with the race director after and he said they really want to expand the race as it's currently capped at 300 people. He said they were thinking about adding a longer distance like 15K and I said I would totally be on board with something like that :) I will definitely be back to this one.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:11 | 10 kms | 09m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Trails
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-25 4:44 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: WINE-O Trail Run

2016-05-26 1:30 PM
in reply to: #5183799

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: WINE-O Trail Run

Congrats and welcome back to the race scene!  And what a way to get back to it, with wine!  And those scrapes now make you an official trail runner.  May many more fun, successful races be in your future!

2016-05-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5183799

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: WINE-O Trail Run
So happy you had such a nice and scenery, and winery come back! I'm glad your ankle is in shape and not being to much of an issue. I hope more races to come
That's so interesting with the wine at the aid stations I would imagine beer would help with running (all of that carbs!), but wine? How did you feel after having some? I'm so curious. Wine usually puts me down to sleep (easily).
I absolutely love the views and the scenery you described. Just another reason to choose races outside of urban area.
Once again, congrats on the wonderful race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » WINE-O Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run

Started by blg_blg
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2011-11-24 3:43 PM blg_blg

Xterra Marathon of Trail races Trail Run

Started by lonoscurse
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 2:09 PM lonoscurse

Mallow Run Run: Wine at the Line

Started by shoverbj
Views: 1012 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 11:28 AM shoverbj

Muddy Trails 10k trail run

Started by antlimon166
Views: 1515 Posts: 2

2010-04-05 5:42 PM BigDH

Trail Twister 60km Endurance Trail Run

Started by runnrboy
Views: 1336 Posts: 1

2008-10-07 8:53 AM runnrboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.