General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did My Lactate Threshold Test. Now What? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-25 8:00 PM

Subject: Did My Lactate Threshold Test. Now What?
I'm a bit disappointed with my results. I've only been training 9 months in endurance, but I come from an athletic background and have never been "out of shape" my entire life, or so I thought. My results are below:

Weight: 167 lbs.
Height: 5'9"
Male

I had 7 readings. There would have been MAYBE 2 more total, but after number 7 I wasn't feeling very good so we stopped. That was actually strange on its own, I have never felt that way during training so it kind of scared me. The HRM I was wearing was exceptionally tight, though I'm not sure that had anything to do with it.

Pace Lactate HR RPE
0:00 0.9 69 0
11:07 2.8 135 4
10:43 2.3 149 4.5
10:21 2.2 156 4.5
9:41 2.6 165 6.5
9:23 3 174 7
9:05 4.1 176 8

So according to this, my base (Z2) is around 153 bpm, or there about. Is it so high because I'm that aerobically out of shape? How do I use this information now to improve my workouts? I'm running 6x a week right now, I was doing 2 short, 2 medium, and 1 long run a week. Do I change this, or just change the HR that I maintain those runs?

Edited by manimal 2016-05-25 8:01 PM

2016-05-25 8:03 PM
in reply to: manimal

Subject: RE: Did My Lactate Threshold Test. Now What?
Better image here, the text doesn't display so clean.

http://i.imgur.com/rnctWRF.png
2016-05-25 9:10 PM

User image

I don't know why you think you're out of shape because your LTHR is "high". I haven't done a field test in a year but for the past 2 years it's been 174 for me, which means my Z2 is 148 - 158. When I started, Z2 was ~8:00/min mile and at my peak, I was able to run closer to ~7:10 at Z2 HR. Now with my jacked up ankle and no running for a while...well nothing close to that. Zones are just that...zones. They can change but don't move much if you're in shape. If you follow a HITS program, you'll have Z2 and Z4/Z5 intervals a lot. Doing that was slowly make you faster at the same HR.
2016-05-25 10:23 PM

User image

, North Carolina
So is your LTHR 153 or is the top end of Zone 2 153? I'm assuming the latter since that's what you said.

According to Friel's % Charts that puts your LTHR at 172. Which I am fairly sure has me beat by a long shot.

The important of these zones is to know about how hard you are training and when to run in each zone. You can go back and manipulate your max HR in your Garmin to get it to put you in the zones that you want it to be in. Or you can go in a put in custom zones. Or you can just know in your head what zones you want to be running in.

Maffetone Method put your zone 2 HR right at 151. So that's pretty close as well.

But your garmin had it about right when it said that 158 to 170 was zones 3 and 4.

Just because you have never been "out of shape" doesn't mean that you have developed an aerobic base. Which is the foundation of all endurance training. To me running a 11:30/mile in zone 3/4 means you haven't developed it enough yet either. You are probably the kind of athlete that can get out there and make the most of it. I was in the zone 3 trap as well. Zone three feels good. You're going hard enough to make it feel like your doing some work but your not going hard enough to make yourself faster.

If your hips/knees/ankles are handling all of the running that you are doing then that is a great start. My recommendation is that for 80% of the time you are running you are between 145-150. Then for the other 20% you are in zone 4/5 which is 165-175(ish). So if you are doing runs of 45, 30, 30, 20, 20 which is 145 min. You need to be in zone 2 for 116min and zone 4/5 for 29min. So, you could take your short runs and do a 5min warm up in zone 2 then run 400m/800m/1600m repeats for 15min. Rest in between is up to you, enough rest you can do them all but not so much that you are wasting time.

For the most part your LTHR will not change much as you get in more/better shape. But, what will change is the amount of work you can do at that HR.

(Friel Zones.png)

Attachments
----------------
Friel Zones.png (29KB - 6 downloads)
2016-05-26 8:05 AM
in reply to: #5183828

User image

Top of Z2 for me is 162ish. That can be anywhere from a 7:45 mile to a 9:00 mile depending on weather, fatigue, and a whole bunch of other things. But I have seen the pace drop for the same HR as I've moved through base and build phases. Don't sweat it. Just trust the number train smart. You'll see the numbers drop all the way around.
2016-05-26 8:08 AM
in reply to: Blastman

Originally posted by Blastman

I don't know why you think you're out of shape because your LTHR is "high". I haven't done a field test in a year but for the past 2 years it's been 174 for me, which means my Z2 is 148 - 158. When I started, Z2 was ~8:00/min mile and at my peak, I was able to run closer to ~7:10 at Z2 HR. Now with my jacked up ankle and no running for a while...well nothing close to that. Zones are just that...zones. They can change but don't move much if you're in shape. If you follow a HITS program, you'll have Z2 and Z4/Z5 intervals a lot. Doing that was slowly make you faster at the same HR.

Thanks for the feedback. Well from all of the info I've seen on this site, I guess what I saw that I didn't like was how high my HR was at Z2. I guess the point of this info is, with time and training my Z2 HR will drop significantly, hopefully? I guess I'm not out of shape, but I'm out aerobically out of shape and that's what I hope to change.

I'm going to look into HITS, I know that the trainer was telling me that my work should be mostly Z2 with some Z4 in there.

2016-05-26 8:10 AM
in reply to: Nick B

Originally posted by Nick B

So is your LTHR 153 or is the top end of Zone 2 153? I'm assuming the latter since that's what you said.

According to Friel's % Charts that puts your LTHR at 172. Which I am fairly sure has me beat by a long shot.

The important of these zones is to know about how hard you are training and when to run in each zone. You can go back and manipulate your max HR in your Garmin to get it to put you in the zones that you want it to be in. Or you can go in a put in custom zones. Or you can just know in your head what zones you want to be running in.

Maffetone Method put your zone 2 HR right at 151. So that's pretty close as well.

But your garmin had it about right when it said that 158 to 170 was zones 3 and 4.

Just because you have never been "out of shape" doesn't mean that you have developed an aerobic base. Which is the foundation of all endurance training. To me running a 11:30/mile in zone 3/4 means you haven't developed it enough yet either. You are probably the kind of athlete that can get out there and make the most of it. I was in the zone 3 trap as well. Zone three feels good. You're going hard enough to make it feel like your doing some work but your not going hard enough to make yourself faster.

If your hips/knees/ankles are handling all of the running that you are doing then that is a great start. My recommendation is that for 80% of the time you are running you are between 145-150. Then for the other 20% you are in zone 4/5 which is 165-175(ish). So if you are doing runs of 45, 30, 30, 20, 20 which is 145 min. You need to be in zone 2 for 116min and zone 4/5 for 29min. So, you could take your short runs and do a 5min warm up in zone 2 then run 400m/800m/1600m repeats for 15min. Rest in between is up to you, enough rest you can do them all but not so much that you are wasting time.

For the most part your LTHR will not change much as you get in more/better shape. But, what will change is the amount of work you can do at that HR.

I really appreciate your feedback, thanks for taking the time to respond.
2016-05-26 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by manimal
Originally posted by Blastman I don't know why you think you're out of shape because your LTHR is "high". I haven't done a field test in a year but for the past 2 years it's been 174 for me, which means my Z2 is 148 - 158. When I started, Z2 was ~8:00/min mile and at my peak, I was able to run closer to ~7:10 at Z2 HR. Now with my jacked up ankle and no running for a while...well nothing close to that. Zones are just that...zones. They can change but don't move much if you're in shape. If you follow a HITS program, you'll have Z2 and Z4/Z5 intervals a lot. Doing that was slowly make you faster at the same HR.
Thanks for the feedback. Well from all of the info I've seen on this site, I guess what I saw that I didn't like was how high my HR was at Z2. I guess the point of this info is, with time and training my Z2 HR will drop significantly, hopefully? I guess I'm not out of shape, but I'm out aerobically out of shape and that's what I hope to change. I'm going to look into HITS, I know that the trainer was telling me that my work should be mostly Z2 with some Z4 in there.

my zone 2 HR tops out around 160.  the HR will NOT DROP WITH TRAINING.  The pace will.  Your zones my change a bit with time, but in general zone 2 will stay the same HR, and the pace at which you can run while in zone 2 will drop.

2016-05-26 8:11 AM
in reply to: tjones2k9

Originally posted by tjones2k9

Top of Z2 for me is 162ish. That can be anywhere from a 7:45 mile to a 9:00 mile depending on weather, fatigue, and a whole bunch of other things. But I have seen the pace drop for the same HR as I've moved through base and build phases. Don't sweat it. Just trust the number train smart. You'll see the numbers drop all the way around.

Thanks for the encouragement, that's what I needed. I feel better about it today, can't wait to get back to training.
2016-05-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by manimal
Originally posted by Blastman I don't know why you think you're out of shape because your LTHR is "high". I haven't done a field test in a year but for the past 2 years it's been 174 for me, which means my Z2 is 148 - 158. When I started, Z2 was ~8:00/min mile and at my peak, I was able to run closer to ~7:10 at Z2 HR. Now with my jacked up ankle and no running for a while...well nothing close to that. Zones are just that...zones. They can change but don't move much if you're in shape. If you follow a HITS program, you'll have Z2 and Z4/Z5 intervals a lot. Doing that was slowly make you faster at the same HR.
Thanks for the feedback. Well from all of the info I've seen on this site, I guess what I saw that I didn't like was how high my HR was at Z2. I guess the point of this info is, with time and training my Z2 HR will drop significantly, hopefully? I guess I'm not out of shape, but I'm out aerobically out of shape and that's what I hope to change. I'm going to look into HITS, I know that the trainer was telling me that my work should be mostly Z2 with some Z4 in there.

my zone 2 HR tops out around 160.  the HR will NOT DROP WITH TRAINING.  The pace will.  Your zones my change a bit with time, but in general zone 2 will stay the same HR, and the pace at which you can run while in zone 2 will drop.

Thanks for this reply, that's what I was misunderstanding! I was thinking for some reason my HR would drop, but it's my pace that will drop with progress. Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did My Lactate Threshold Test. Now What? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling Lactate Threshold vs. Running Lactate Threshold

Started by harrisdthompson
Views: 6536 Posts: 7

2011-07-29 3:52 PM brigby1

Lactate Threshold Test - Who can administer this test??

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1738 Posts: 8

2007-11-12 9:06 PM Bill

Lactate Threshold Testing Pages: 1 2

Started by nel34
Views: 2867 Posts: 47

2007-01-24 7:21 AM mikericci

Lactate Threshold Test on the Bike

Started by MikeB
Views: 788 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 4:36 PM TH3_FRB

Lactate Threshold Testing - How Often?

Started by tnt2tri
Views: 1578 Posts: 7

2006-04-23 8:54 AM tnt2tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on lactate testing and a training schedule leading up to the Triple T.

date : April 14, 2010
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : March 4, 2010
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.

date : December 20, 2009
Discussions on lactate threshold testing and when to do LT workouts, threshold and tempo workouts, and time off after a full Ironman.
date : May 21, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
CPET physiology and the applications toward which CPET can be applied, with special attention to endurance athletes.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.

date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.