General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those that strength train...and for those that don't... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-26 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: For those that strength train...and for those that don't...
Just a very informal survey I have for people

But first a quick definition to clear the air...

Strength Training: Any form of movement that is non-swim, bike, run based focusing to improve mobility, stability, and strength. Can be body weight or with external loads. Functional strength training is termed for multi-joint movements. For the purpose of this survey, I do not consider yoga or pilates to be strength training.

If you do...
What did you do to assess your body and exactly what it needs for strength training?
Who is directing r coaching your strength training? What is their specific background with coaching strength training?
Are you doing a high rep, low weight scheme? Why?
Are you doing a low rep, high weight scheme? Why? How heavy?
How often and how much time per session?

If you don't...
Have you been injured in the past 3 yeas, did you miss a race because of injury?
Why are you not doing strength training?
Have you read any research on strength training for endurance athletes in the past 5-10 years?
Can you explain to me how a back squat will no aid in performance for triathlon?

2016-05-26 8:05 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: For those that strength train...and for those that don't...

If you don't...
Have you been injured in the past 3 yeas, did you miss a race because of injury?

No and NO

Time better spent training the 3 sports.  I also do yoga and running drills/excercises that you may or may not consider strength training, but it keeps me strong

Have you read any research on strength training for endurance athletes in the past 5-10 years?

yes

Can you explain to me how a back squat will no aid in performance for triathlon?

because I don't train enough to have maximized my ability.  adding in weights is going to make me sore and require even more recovery time. besides, I gain weight when I look at weights, and I need to be lighter.

2016-05-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by dmiller5

If you don't...

No and NO

Time better spent training the 3 sports.  I also do yoga and running drills/excercises that you may or may not consider strength training, but it keeps me strong

yes

because I don't train enough to have maximized my ability.  adding in weights is going to make me sore and require even more recovery time. besides, I gain weight when I look at weights, and I need to be lighter.

I am not directing this specifically at you, just using your responses as generalities since these are common answers I hear

How do running drills aid in not developing asymmetries? More specifically how do running drills/yoga specifically target your imbalances (this one is more specific to you)?Poor muscle function? How do you measure you that the yoga.running drills keep you strong?

If you have read the research you obviously have seen how it can be beneficial, why do you choose not to incorporate it?

Back squats are not just about weight, they are great in developing ankle/hip mobility that is specifically required for swimming/running. Great way to develop back strength as well that carries over nicely to S/B/R, etc. If your gaining weight and it is adding your recovery time chances are you did it wrong.
2016-05-26 8:38 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If you don't... Have you been injured in the past 3 yeas, did you miss a race because of injury?

no and no

don't feel the need

yes

no.  can you explain how it will?  or, better, why it is better for performance than more laps or miles?

2016-05-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
See my answers above to Dans post, but I'll highlight some of the ones that people never realize or often forget

Back Squat
Back squats, or just a body weight squat is a great assessment tool.

Ankle mobility: obviously will improve swimming, and also running.

Hip Mobility: one of the best exercises to build hip extensor strength, important for bike and run.

Back Strength obviously a carryover to all 3 sports. Lots of development with spinal erectors and lats, as we all know lat strength is important for swimming, Watch any triathlon and it can be clear who lacks and who has back strength. Back strength is important for efficiency, if they are already doing a lot of SBR, how will just doing more improve their back strength?

Teaching actual body movement mechanics, its amazing when working with athletes individually how many do not know how to recruit some of their bigger prime movers important to SBR, i.e. lats for swimming, glutes for running.

By the way I never suggest that strength training should replace S/B/R, just supplement it.

2016-05-26 9:06 AM

User image

If you do...
Yes, I do.

What did you do to assess your body and exactly what it needs for strength training?
I was assessed by a strength and conditioning coach as well as a physical therapist who works within the local triathlon community (and is a triathlete). The two work together on programming for athletes of all levels.

Who is directing r coaching your strength training? What is their specific background with coaching strength training?
A strength and conditioning coach who trains high level elite and pro athletes around the country as well as everyday athletes. He has a track record of reducing the percentage of injuries and increasing performance on the collegiate teams with whom he works. This is not specific to the sport of triathlon but my aim was to improve my weak areas for all around fitness--though it has also carried over to improving my s/b/r just because my chain is more functional in general.

No

I am generally doing high weight with low reps. My main issues were very weak posterior chain and forward roundness. The goal was to build as much strength as possible in my back body to decrease knee pain and increase performance--especially bike performance as my gluts/hams were not firing and my back/neck was functionally too weak to endure long bike sessions. And lots of time in the saddle over 6 seasons was not improving those two issues.

I train with him twice per week for an hour per session.

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

SBR develops all those things too (in particular, swimming is excellent for lat development).  Training can teach someone to recruit all the necessary 'prime movers'.  And SBR is specific.  Back strength comes from the core. right?  Pretty sure SBR can work the core pretty well.  Mine is constantly engaged.

Not telling you to stop what you are doing (for yourself or others), just that all those items are not necessarily additive.  Best research I have seen for strength training to complement the 3 sports has to do with 'explosive' movements.  Always open to learn something new, but what I've seen so far has made strength training a low priority to add to tri training.

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by bcagle25 .

If you do...

What did you do to assess your body and exactly what it needs for strength training?  I found I needed specific strength training to enhance my swimming performance.  As my stroke technique has improved over the past year, I found I was recruiting muscles in new ways which led to identifying some specific muscular weaknesses that were hindering my stroke technique and/or endurance. 

Who is directing r coaching your strength training?  My swim coach

What is their specific background with coaching strength training?  Our head coach is an ASCA Level 5  swim coach who has coached 7 Olympians & 40 National Champions.   We follow a swimming dryland program he has developed over the years.  We also have a team physical therapist who helps to access injuries and recommend rehab & specific strengthening exercises for individual swimmers.

Are you doing a high rep, low weight scheme?  High reps with moderate weights & stretch bands along with body weight exercises.  

Why?  A lot of compound movements to replicate actual swimming motions and range of movement.

Are you doing a low rep, high weight scheme?  No

Why?   n/a

How heavy?  n/a

How often and how much time per session?  2 times per week; approximately 20-30 minutes per session.

Just some quick background:  I was an avid weightlifter prior to getting into triathlon in 2004.  I continued to do a lot of lifting along with my tri training initially, but gradually cut back as I felt it was conflicting with my S/B/R training and performance.  I've spent less and less time in the gym the past few years and transitioned from heavy free-weights to primarily circuit and core training.  As mentioned above, I've now started to incorporate swimming dryland strength training back into my regimen for the specific reasons listed.

Mark

2016-05-26 9:16 AM

User image

, North Carolina
If you don't...
Have you been injured in the past 3 yeas, did you miss a race because of injury? NO
Why are you not doing strength training? I gain weight when I strength train. Limited time for only S/B/R. Has been in my mind but never get to it.
Have you read any research on strength training for endurance athletes in the past 5-10 years? Yes
Can you explain to me how a back squat will no(t) aid in performance for triathlon? If I hurt my self doing a back squat then I will not be able to train. Then I will not be able to perform in a triathlon.

Muscular strength is a very important part of any physical activity. The posterior chain is among the most important when it comes to triathlon. By developing a strong base with flexible hips/knees/ankles you will improve your efficiency and speed.

I know I should lift. But, I don't particularly enjoy it, so I don't do it.
2016-05-26 9:18 AM

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

SBR develops all those things too (in particular, swimming is excellent for lat development).  Training can teach someone to recruit all the necessary 'prime movers'.  And SBR is specific.  Back strength comes from the core. right?  Pretty sure SBR can work the core pretty well.  Mine is constantly engaged.

Not telling you to stop what you are doing (for yourself or others), just that all those items are not necessarily additive.  Best research I have seen for strength training to complement the 3 sports has to do with 'explosive' movements.  Always open to learn something new, but what I've seen so far has made strength training a low priority to add to tri training.

There are certainly a few different schools of thought in this area. In my case, certain things about my physiology were causing my quads and hip flexors to over fire while shutting down the back body. This is why I was always naturally a better runner than biker. But it made me a crappy biker and started causing knee pain as the over working quad was pulling on the kneecap. This is a pretty common thing, especially for those who sit at desks all day.

For years and years I put my time in on long rides trying to get faster, push more power but made very little gains. This is because no matter how much time I put in on the saddle, that riding was not teaching my hamstrings and gluts to fire like they should to get power.

Six months of strength training my back body with heavy weight and low reps has finally improved my bike speed even though I ride only about 25% of my volume from previous seasons where I was making little to no gains in speed.
2016-05-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: Fitnessgurl

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Fitnessgurl

There are certainly a few different schools of thought in this area. In my case, certain things about my physiology were causing my quads and hip flexors to over fire while shutting down the back body. This is why I was always naturally a better runner than biker. But it made me a crappy biker and started causing knee pain as the over working quad was pulling on the kneecap. This is a pretty common thing, especially for those who sit at desks all day. For years and years I put my time in on long rides trying to get faster, push more power but made very little gains. This is because no matter how much time I put in on the saddle, that riding was not teaching my hamstrings and gluts to fire like they should to get power. Six months of strength training my back body with heavy weight and low reps has finally improved my bike speed even though I ride only about 25% of my volume from previous seasons where I was making little to no gains in speed.

If you have imbalances that are causing issues, then they should be addressed. No argument from me.  I think the 'few schools' come up because some people think you should try to address the 'likely' areas in advance.  Others feel you should wait until an issue presents itself so that you spend your time treating the right one (and not inadvertently causing others).  I'll agree to disagree with people on that front given what I have seen so far.

2016-05-26 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

If you don't...

Yes and yes, but it was due to a stress fracture in my foot, which I highly doubt strength training would have prevent

I did some for a while to address some specific limitations, but devoting an additional ~30 minutes a day to my normal routine (training, working, eating, sleeping, etc.) for something I did not enjoy felt like a miserable chore to me.  I did see some benefits from it, but after reducing it and eventually eliminating it altogether, I haven't lost the benefits I gained, so it was no longer worth maintaining.

I have read (and listened to podcasts discussing) some.  The one place I can see it as a benefit is improving run economy, but there are other (run-specific) ways to do this that I'd prefer to do.  Running (or swimming or biking) doesn't feel like a chore to me....strength training does.  A chore is something I won't prioritize and will eventually quit doing.

Nope, but I also can't explain to you how it would aid in performance.  In general, strength is not a limiter for most triathletes and time would be better served swimming, biking, or running.

2016-05-26 10:22 AM

User image

Originally posted by Fitnessgurl

There are certainly a few different schools of thought in this area. In my case, certain things about my physiology were causing my quads and hip flexors to over fire while shutting down the back body. This is why I was always naturally a better runner than biker. But it made me a crappy biker and started causing knee pain as the over working quad was pulling on the kneecap. This is a pretty common thing, especially for those who sit at desks all day. For years and years I put my time in on long rides trying to get faster, push more power but made very little gains. This is because no matter how much time I put in on the saddle, that riding was not teaching my hamstrings and gluts to fire like they should to get power. Six months of strength training my back body with heavy weight and low reps has finally improved my bike speed even though I ride only about 25% of my volume from previous seasons where I was making little to no gains in speed.

If you have imbalances that are causing issues, then they should be addressed. No argument from me.  I think the 'few schools' come up because some people think you should try to address the 'likely' areas in advance.  Others feel you should wait until an issue presents itself so that you spend your time treating the right one (and not inadvertently causing others).  I'll agree to disagree with people on that front given what I have seen so far.

You and I agree that trying to address problems that are common for other people just because they *might* occur is fruitless. I do however think that the there are way more people who DO have imbalances than who don't. And not addressing those imbalances but rather trying to just follow the "to be better at ____, do more _____" mentality will cause those people to burn their bodies out instead of improving. I think that takes many people out of this sport.
2016-05-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: Fitnessgurl

I strength train because at the end of the day I am doing this for fun and unfortunately in everyday life there are times when we need to pickup and haul heavy stuff, such as when your wife tells you to move all the guest room furniture to the basement or that good friend of yours who is also cheap as hell decides he wants to move without hiring a moving company and asks you to help. No offense to everyone here, but SBR isn't really going to help with that. Things like squatting and deadlifts which build strong posterior chains do. Although this may be my crossfit background talking hahaha. But I cannot imagine having a strong backsquat and deadlift would be detrimental to a triathlete considering core strength is so important.
2016-05-26 12:18 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

If you don't... Have you been injured in the past 3 yeas, did you miss a race because of injury?

Haven't been injured to the point where I was out of commission for more than a few days - I've not run for about a week but was always able to continue with riding and swimming.   Haven't missed any races that I recall.

Time, lack of desire, haven't felt the need

No

No

2016-05-26 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by bcagle25 Just a very informal survey I have for people But first a quick definition to clear the air... Strength Training: Any form of movement that is non-swim, bike, run based focusing to improve mobility, stability, and strength. Can be body weight or with external loads. Functional strength training is termed for multi-joint movements. For the purpose of this survey, I do not consider yoga or pilates to be strength training.

Why do you not consider Yoga or Pilates to be strength training?  They seem to pretty much fit your definition to a T.

If you do... What did you do to assess your body and exactly what it needs for strength training?

Nothing really, I just do a general routine that varies exercises and movement for general body conditioning.

Who is directing r coaching your strength training?

I am

What is their specific background with coaching strength training?

I've been coaching myself for over 25 years.

Yes.  To have a higher energy/cardio circuit training and allow for more "reps to failure" exercises.

Yes.  To have a slower more methodical movement focusing on strength building and engaging more stabilizing muscles. Heavy (light) enough to do 6 to 8 reps per movement.

Twice a week on average sometimes more, sometimes less, usually about 45-60 minutes.

I do but to answer the question... no and no.

Not with any real purpose or intent, but sure I've read various articles in the mag/on-line that I get.

will do?  will not?  not sure exactly what you are saying or understanding your intent with the specificity of the question.  However, I'd simply say that any exercise (back squat, front squat, whatever) will aid in the strength building process for that muscle(s) but the sport specificity will only really come into play in the sport specific training.  Not sure if how I'm saying it make sense but looking at it this way... guys with big quads may not be Olympic quality track cyclists, but Olympic quality track cyclists would typically have big quads.  The latter having refined their quad strength around their specific sport, regardless of how the muscle was built.

Edited by Sous 2016-05-26 2:50 PM

2016-05-26 5:06 PM
in reply to: #5183862

Responding on mobile device so I can't quote and type a lot but my "strength training" consists of a few planks of 1 minute per week and 3x20 push ups if Im feeling really motivated.

I dont strength train bc I find it mind numbingly boring. If I was a pro and my livelihood depended on my performance I'd do it bc Im sure it would provide some benefits, but if I have a choice of how to spend a precious 60 minutes, I'm S/B/R'ing 100 times out of 100. More fun and better use of my time given my goals.
2016-05-27 6:40 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by bcagle25

If you do...

Yes I do 1 or 2 times a week.
Much of what I do came from PT, if not specific at least concept
High rep low weight- like 15-20 reps. much of the info I have received from PT and reading says this puts less stress on body parts that tend to fail, but as long as your finish going to muscle failure its just as effective.

If I don't do a significant amount of core work I would not be able to do S/B/R. I herniated a disc 7 years ago- refused surgery- came back through therapy and exercise.
2016-05-27 8:27 AM

User image

Pretty much the only time I exercise that isn't s/b/r is a 2 minute plank each morning (most mornings anyway). Occasionally if the weather is too bad to bike or run and the pool is closed, I will hit the gym and use a few weight machines. Usually the indoor track has to be clogged with social walkers too, or I will run instead. I don't know what I despise more, weight machines or that indoor track.

I have a workout video that I do once in a while when I am pressed for time. It's an 8 minute long "boot camp" workout that usually leaves me sweating once I am done.

J White
2016-05-27 9:09 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
If you do...
- Feedback from various practicioners on specific areas of need, general research related to injuries and performance

- Self directed

- Yes. I do exclusively body-weight stuff, so to continue adaptation the weight can't increase, so the reps do. Also facilitates a circuit-training approach.

- No. See above.

- 2 sessions/week, one usually less than 10 min, one closer to 20 min

2016-05-27 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I do strength train in the off season and it has helped me in two ways. First, I had a stress fracture a couple of years ago and had IT band problems at the same time. After one winter of strength training, I have not had any issues with either one (it took me two years to get back from running after the stress fracture and I'm not certain I would be running at all if I didn't strength train). Second, I'm much more stable on the bike (as in less body movement, not instability as if I was about to tip over...), which saves energy and allows me to stay in aero longer.

I do have a strength coach that I work with once a week and I duplicate those exercises one more time later on in the week. Only in off season though. I do have a simple strength training program that I do use in the hotel room when I travel for work. Allows me to maintain strength and get an exercise in even if the surround area is not conducive to running.

All training is body weight based (plus russian kettle bells) instability training (TRX, single leg work, etc.) so I don't know how to access low weight, but it's definitely high reps.

2016-05-27 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by bcagle25 Just a very informal survey I have for people But first a quick definition to clear the air... Strength Training: Any form of movement that is non-swim, bike, run based focusing to improve mobility, stability, and strength. Can be body weight or with external loads. Functional strength training is termed for multi-joint movements. For the purpose of this survey, I do not consider yoga or pilates to be strength training. If you do...

I strength train in the off season, so Nov-Feb really. It ended a bit early for me this year because I crashed on my bike and separated my shoulder and so I couldn't really lift.

What did you do to assess your body and exactly what it needs for strength training? Who is directing r coaching your strength training? What is their specific background with coaching strength training?

First off, I'm a cyclist not a triathlete. I race category 2 on the road and category 1 on the track. Pretty much every serious cyclist I know strength trains in the off season. I talked to experienced cycling coaches and they've given me guidance on my strength routine, so I guess they assessed my body and are directing the coaching. I've never had a serious injury and have no issues. So I mostly do squats, deadlifts and leg presses. I do pull ups, when I have a bar (my home gym doesn' t have one) and I do bench press too for vanity. I also swim in the off season, so I don't worry about strength training for my upper body too much.

Are you doing a high rep, low weight scheme? Why? Are you doing a low rep, high weight scheme? Why? How heavy? How often and how much time per session?  

It completely depends on the time of year. All my strength training is recorded in strava. https://www.strava.com/athletes/121509/training/log Like I mentioned I stopped a bit early this year due to the shoulder, but I'd generally do it twice a week. Most people I know would do it 3 times per week, but I was swimming too. I mixed it up. I think twice a week or at least once a week was purely strength sessions. I would do about 3x5 squats at about 115 lbs, 3x5 deads with 135lbs, 3x5 bench press at about 95lbs, double leg press 3x10 with 250lbs, single leg press 3x5 per side 180lbs or something like that. I weigh about 125-130 lbs. And I worked up to those numbers. Sometimes I would do less reps, like just 3x1 at a really high weight. I pretty much hit the top numbers that I think I was going to hit for the season and was just planning on maintaining, but then I just stopped. I had to stop swimming early too. Funny enough with a shoulder separation, it was no problem to ride my bike.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

2016-05-27 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by bcagle25

If you don't...

I play squash which I think fits your definition but I'm still going to answer the "don't" questions...

Depends how you define an injury. I've cut back on running for a week or two until some minor pain went away but nothing chronic. I haven't missed a race because of an injury. It seems a little strange that you only ask those that don't strength train whether they have had injuries.

I don't strength train because I'm a skeptical curmudgeon and I'm not aiming for perfect training. If I can be in the ballpark and avoid doing something stupid, that's good enough for me. And because I have a bicuspid aortic valve and I don't want my aorta to burst. If I were to do strength training it would be because I'm old and vain and I'd like to have shoulders like I had when I was 19.

I sometimes read what people that have read the research have written. Does that count?

There are many ways that a back squat will not aid in triathlon performance.
It won't tell me my lactate threshold. It won't improve my VO2 max. It won't help me figure out a good catch. etc.
Don
2016-06-12 8:42 PM
in reply to: #5184060

User image

, North Carolina
Can you recommend me a good body weight/dumbbell routine. No back squat & no power clean?

In my mind:
Push up
Pull up
Planks
Body squat
1 leg squat
Lunges/ weighted lunges
Dumbbell press

Also need more glute activation and hip flexibility
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those that strength train...and for those that don't... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training

Started by rjp7204
Views: 813 Posts: 4

2010-01-06 9:21 PM sesh

BT Training Plans with strength training

Started by tabbs
Views: 1860 Posts: 2

2009-06-24 12:08 PM jss8422

When to strength train during training

Started by jennitris
Views: 1402 Posts: 6

2008-09-01 9:18 AM gsmacleod

When to strength train during training

Started by jennitris
Views: 3319 Posts: 8

2013-09-28 1:19 PM filipanutrition

Specificity of Training and Strength Training

Started by MTBonker
Views: 1411 Posts: 7

2005-11-29 9:22 AM stormjen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.