General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Gel/Pre-Workout Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-26 10:45 AM

Subject: Newbie Gel/Pre-Workout Question
Most of my workouts take place in the morning before the wife and kid are up and most of the time I will eat something small before them because that is just what I am used to; however, once in a while I need to do some training at night (sometimes middle of the evening and sometimes late evening like 9pm). My issue is I typically eat lunch around 1pm, but because of my hours at work I don't usually eat dinner until late which means after my workout. So that could mean really late if my workout isn't until 9 pm. I'll have some small snacks throughout the day, but nothing substantial. So I was wondering if any of you eat anything in particular before a workout if you are in a similar situation? Would you resort to things like gels? Since I am new to endurance sports I haven't really ventured into the world of gels and what not. So today I have a track workout scheduled with a fair amount of sprints and my guess is I won't get to the track until about 7/7:30, so I don't want to feel too low energy when I get there.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2016-05-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Newbie Gel/Pre-Workout Question
I'm sure others will chime in, but if I have an evening workout I usually go for a banana. They sit well on my stomach no matter what, and are cheap.
2016-05-26 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I went for a 27.1 mi training ride with my tri group last night (before dinner). About an hour before the ride, I had a PB and banana sandwich.

I eat either a single pop tart or a honey stinger waffle before I swim in the mornings.

I don't do workouts on an empty stomach.
2016-05-26 1:11 PM

I try to save my gels for during races/training, not as a pre-workout fuel. I'd rather grab a banana, piece of PB toast, or usually something like a clif bar before a workout than eat a gel. With that said, I eat gels during my workouts if they are longer to help fuel and think its good for you to know how you react to using them prior to a race.
2016-05-26 1:26 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

Thanks everyone for the responses. That was my guess that something like a banana or bar might be better and just try the gels during the actual training. In the mornings I usually eat oatmeal with almond butter before any workout that just seems to sit well with me no matter what I have to do later on.
2016-05-26 1:29 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I don't always eat before an early morning workout, but when I do I eat a banana and wash it down with a few gulps of water.

Cycling is the only sport (of the 3) I can stand to do with food in my stomach. As a result, I rarely run or swim at night.

I use gels on long runs (10 miles +).

2016-05-26 2:21 PM

I am a newbie to fitness.
I used to be a fat guy. If I go by AA definitions, I still am. Hello, my name is J. I'm fat.

Here's what I found.
IF I'm eating properly, I can have a regular meal and for the most part work out within relative minutes.
Granted, "that's just me"...
However, I'm not eating monster meals anymore. Ideally, I'm having the 4 "small" meals. Or if it's 3, I'm not having two plates of dinner and can go to the gym, hit the road etc.

For me, there's just a few things that are.....unpleasant to have consumed right before a workout
Acidic stuff (pizza sauce, pasta sauce") and meatloaf. But that's about it. And it could be the catsup/ketchup based 'sauce' my wife (who's been dubbed "The Meatloaf Queen" by various neighbors/coworkers/etc. she's helped out in a time of need by making a meal or two. You know, that whole north Midwestern "Oh, you just had a baby/death in the family/_____(insert other significant event), let me send over a meal" thing.

But it that's mainly just 'cause it makes me burpy and acidic burpiness is not kind to me.
I look at gel as two things.
-a tastier version of a sugar packet
-an easier way to carry around a handful of grapes or raisins ('nature's sugar)' on a bike or on a run.

I definitely do not look at it as food.
2016-05-26 2:35 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Yeah I guess I was just thinking if I needed some quick energy before a workout and didn't have "real food" readily accessible I could just use a gel as a pre-workout boost.
2016-05-26 2:54 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
My thoughts are if you are training hard for something, nutrition and fuel are very important. If you are feeling hungry or it has been many hours since a meal, you should have something. Low BS is a motivation killer.

If it is a ride, I can eat a few bananas or a PB&J really quickly and it settles fine.

If it is a run w/o, I can eat some of a banana, dates, or my favorite is an Amrita Bar. The Amrita bars settle really easy (I would say I have a more sensitive stomach than most) and give you smooth energy.

Hope this helps!
2016-05-26 2:59 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

I can't do anything in the morning until I've had my bowl of:
-Coco Puffs
and/or
-Chocolate Toasted Oats (the store brand we get here is far superior to Chocolate Cheerios)
and/or
-Chocolate Chex (but that's a rarity, my wife won't buy cereal unless it's under $2)
2016-05-27 4:13 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think it's very individual as far as what foods sit well before a workout, while filling you up just enough and giving you energy to do the workout. For me, it's pretty much always a granola or energy bar and small cup of coffee. Not a super-sweet kind of bar or I will sort of get a sugar high then crash. I always have an oat or brown-rice based one as wheat does not tend to sit well, especially if the workout is intense. I can eat that literally five or ten minutes before a swim, bike, or run, and it's never been a problem. Occasionally if I'm particularly hungry for an after-work session I'll add a handful of nuts. Others swear by fruit, gels, etc.

If the workout wasn't until well after work, I would definitely be having something more substantial, maybe even an early dinner. I never train as late as 9 (that's bedtime!) but I used to have master's swimming from 6:30 to 8. I would actually eat a light dinner (maybe a sandwich or rice noodle soup) around 4:30 or 5, and another light mini-meal (or big snack) afterwards. I have a really high metabolism and active job, and need to eat that much--not sure about others.

2016-05-27 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

My weekday schedule is usually something like this:

Wakeup 7am

Breakfast pretty much right away, 7:30ish

Work by 8:30am

Lunch noon

Snack 4:30pm

Leave work 5pm

Workout 5pm-8:30pm 

Dinner 9-9:30pm

Bed 10:30-11pm

Breakfast is usually, oatmeal, cereal or just a shake

Lunch is often dinner leftovers, or just a sandwich or a salad and some cottage cheese

Snack is usually an apple with peanut butter on it, sometimes yogurt with some granola or nuts, sometimes a banana, sometimes a bar or sometimes a piece of toast with peanut butter on it. Usually the apple though.

Dinner usually a salad and a piece of fish or muscles, sometimes lentils or pasta or something. Actually often it is sushi. I pretty much live in the sushi capital.

If my workout is really long, usually on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, it is one more more races, then I sometimes have a bar during that too.

2016-05-27 1:09 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
My wife just finished reading a triathlon nutrition book. It talks about how the body absorbs protein, carbs, etc. She told me that eating a gel before a workout does absolutely no good.
2016-06-06 10:55 AM

No sense starting a new thread... good info on here and have a similar question.. Maybe I am overthinking this nutrition thing.

Instead of feeling stronger each week as I increase my mileage, I seem to get tired towards the end. I don't know if it's just that I am also trying to keep a certain quicker pace at the same time of increasing miles or I am just needing more energy. Every other thing I read indicates, you really don't need gu or other energy because your body uses the stored GLYCOGEN.

But then I read about taking some food in 1/2 hr - 1 hr before your work out. As some of us , I started running to loose weight; but at this point I am withing a few pounds of my goal, so not as concerned to running "empty" in order to burn fat and focusing more on having the energy.

I have read peanut butter sandwich, banana, granola, etc... Maybe I am over thinking it. So, would taking 1/2 hour before a run (I am at 7-8 mi distance at this point) I could take in carbs in the form of , for example, cereal (I shy away from this due to the sugar content, but not sure?), a granola bar, yogurt, maybe a cup of strawberries or grapes, or a banana?

Thank you
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Gel/Pre-Workout Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pre-Workout Question

Started by scm724
Views: 1067 Posts: 12

2010-10-13 9:29 AM uhcoog

newbie gel question

Started by burritosdaily
Views: 992 Posts: 9

2009-05-27 5:26 PM merlin2375

Newbie Workout Question

Started by trinigen
Views: 751 Posts: 3

2009-02-23 9:29 PM m-mcclain

newbie workout question

Started by bhaf2003
Views: 477 Posts: 3

2006-01-04 6:56 PM Ron

newbie question about gels

Started by hangloose
Views: 837 Posts: 7

2005-12-30 3:00 PM justalittletri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pre-diabetes is a very common and treatable condition. Through your physical activity and appropriate diet choices, you have already taken many steps to delay or avoid progression to type 2 diabetes.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.