General Discussion Triathlon Talk » behind the seat hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-26 12:37 PM

Subject: behind the seat hydration
Does anyone prefer one brand over another for a 2 bottle system?
C02 and fill components attached or not to system or in the bag?
Are cages more specific to this design verses frame mount?

what's you preference and why?

2016-05-26 1:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Subject: RE: behind the seat hydration
Lots of ways to carry bottles.

But if low drag is your goal, using 1 bottle, getting the bottle super close to your saddle, and getting the bottle as close to horizontal as possible is more optimal.
Kind of like this:

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2016-05-26 1:16 PM
2016-05-26 1:21 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

I noticed the blue tape or is that a rubber band type material? What was result of being almost parallel to the ground with bumping? Who a gorilla cage have worked better for grip?
2016-05-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I've used an XLab behind the system for years. I have a new one that fits the seatpost for my P3C quite well. 

The cages are identical for frame vs. behind the seat.

Back when I set mine up, two behind the seat was all the rage.  Now it's one behind the seat or none, and a between the aerobars setup.  What I use these days is a between-the-bars Speedfill (http://invisciddesign.com/Z4.htm) and my XLab behind-the-seat two cage setup.  The right cage holds my Gatorade, the left cage holds my spare tire and tube and stuff rubber banded to it, and the Speedfill is water.

I think I have a spare XLab behind-the-seat holder that bolts to your seat. If you want it, PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. No cages included.

2016-05-26 3:12 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Exton, PA
I have profile design 2 behind the seat small bag tucks up underneath the seat tight, and can screw in 4 co tubes. I went with double holder so I can do HIM races unsupported. 4 bottles on board and gu's, no slowing down to pick up hydration. Also minimal slowing down during IM.
2016-05-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gotta experiment with what works.

I used the DSW set up pictured above for a couple seasons, tucked in tight, but had some issues that negated the aero benefits.  First, the angle of the cage would hold a regular water bottle fine, but the plastic store bought bottles that they hand out on course would tend to eject in bad roads, train tracks, etc.  And this was using gorilla cages.  At NOLA 70.3 I lost one bottle and there was not another aid station for 20+ miles, came back to haunt me on the run big time.  Plus you risk a penalty if you choose not to pick it up (or don't even know it's gone).  Second, due to my fit I could reach back and get the bottle while in aero, but no way I could put it back in without sitting up.  Even sitting up, trying to get it back in behind me the bottle would sometimes collapse, and I'd be sitting up way to long dealing with it.  So it didn't really work for me.  The extra material like in the pic may have solved one issue but not the other.

This year I went back to the x lab double bottle set up (I only run one cage on it for 70.3 as it's just water I get at aid stations)  Not as aero, but bottles don't eject and I can take the bottle out and put back in while still in aero (although losing some benefit by reaching back, not like sitting up).   Now run two bottles as I am going to be IM training.

I have all my flat kit on the bike in a modified Torhans frame bottle

Also have used metal cages BTS but one year at Widlflower got of the bike and the whole thing had just broken off due to metal fatigue, probably from trying to make it tighter.  Use gorilla cages I've picked up over the years

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-26 5:04 PM

2016-05-30 11:29 PM

Cages definitely matter more in this setup. There are two ways to go to avoid launching bottles:

1. A cage with a stronger grip (ex. Xlab Gorilla)

2. A cage that ois designed so it doesn't "open" on bumps (Specialize Ribcage, Blackburn Slick)

Personally, I go route 2.

If you are using a single bottle, zip tie the cage per DSW.

If you are going with two bottles, Xlab and Profile both make good options.

You can use one of the two bottles for storing a flat kit.
2016-05-31 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by dworth
I noticed the blue tape or is that a rubber band type material? What was result of being almost parallel to the ground with bumping? Who a gorilla cage have worked better for grip?

That is not actually my bike, so I am not sure exactly what the blue stuff is. Looks a bit like tape. And, yes, there are several good cages out there to choose from if you want to mount your bottle similarly.

2016-05-31 10:22 AM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

, North Carolina
I go the zip tie route, but with my old saddle I was able to get it a little more angled up so It wasn't hard to reach at all. I switched to an ISM this year and it's a bit harder to get set right. I'm still playing with it. I have also used the Profile design 2 bottle system (the cheaper version that goes around your seat post and not the saddle rails). I liked it but don't need 2 bottles so I went with the BTA mount... also zip ties.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » behind the seat hydration Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Behind the seat cages

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1493 Posts: 23

2008-09-23 8:21 PM Rencor

Behind the seat water bottle cage Pages: 1 2

Started by SlickWillie
Views: 12500 Posts: 44

2008-01-10 7:42 PM mndiver

Behind the seat water bottles.

Started by moTRIvated
Views: 1068 Posts: 6

2007-12-02 12:57 PM rstocks3

Bottles behind the seat…

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 896 Posts: 4

2006-04-16 8:59 PM huengsolo

Behind the seat bottle holders.

Started by macaco
Views: 1585 Posts: 22

2005-03-22 12:25 PM waskelton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Bicep Curl – Alternating Dumbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Seated Crunch-Twist strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video