General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-26 7:07 PM

User image

Subject: Shin Splints
So...I have shin splints. Better than something worst (MRI verified...$$$). I thought I had a stress fracture since I spent days unable to even walk correctly. I took 2 weeks off running last month and then started to run again with some pain the next day. I was trying a run every other day thing. I did an Oly last week and really pushed myself for my fitness and well...I limped around for 3 days afterwards. So no more running. I'm going to take 2-3 weeks off again but I really want to run but it's hard to know when I should start back up. I still have slight pain walking around. Nothing bad by any means but just enough to let me know it's not 100%. It doesn't hurt when I press on it anymore, which is a good sign.

I'm looking for advice on when I should start to run again. I was trying to run every other day, which seemed to be ok-ish but that all-out 10K wasn't ok. Anyone have these before? Should I slowly add ~3 mile runs in when I'm not 100% or should I be "pain free" for 1-2 weeks first?

2016-06-10 3:34 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: Shin Splints
I personally wound not attempt to run until pain with walking subsided. Your ss can become a fracture if you continue to run on it then you will really be laid up. I would not do anything with impact. Swimming, pool running, yoga are prob safe. Maybe bike after a few weeks no pain. I think a friend had to take 8 weeks off and then she slowly ramped up her mileage and did fine. She also had a calcium deficiency, common in endurance athletes, and started raw calcium and another supplement that supports bone growth.
Hope you are healed up soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is shin tightness when running shin splints?

Started by Fechter99
Views: 14665 Posts: 11

2008-09-08 12:48 PM Fechter99

Shin Splints Pages: 1 2

Started by uberbeginner
Views: 3581 Posts: 34

2005-03-16 4:48 PM andyc

Shin Splints/Stress Fracture

Started by srstephen
Views: 1545 Posts: 5

2005-01-16 8:24 PM sty

Shin Splints

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1232 Posts: 6

2004-11-08 4:24 PM twinstrimom

Shin Splints II

Started by rrog
Views: 1920 Posts: 10

2004-08-05 3:52 PM sparky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a sharp pain in my leg. I feel this throughout daily activities and while sitting at my desk as well. It has been ongoing, progressively worse, and much much more intense the past few weeks.

date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : August 24, 2009
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.

date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
Shin splints occur in up to 13.1% of all runners. Sixty-percent of those presented with this complaint have errors in training.