General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Decrepit old lady Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-27 1:28 PM

Subject: Decrepit old lady
I am a newly minted 53 years young triathlete experiencing the frustration of being MUCH slower than I used to be and I was wondering how you all handled age-related decline. Or, is there such a thing? For example, after not going near a pool for 21 years I resumed swimming with a masters program 10 years ago. My first workout I could not make it across the pool without clinging desperately to each wall gasping for air. After 10 years of swimming 5 hours per week, I am now comfortable at a 1:20 per 100 yard base. I swam competitively as a youngster and some college. Swimming is not my limiter. However, I also ran track in high school and college and without much training was able to run consistent 5 minute miles in the mile run. I also ran a 1:33 HM at age 16. My cardio base was good from all the swimming. I have not trained for running in over 30 years. I am slowly building my base mileage and am now up to 25 miles per week. I recently ran a 50 minute flat 10k. Running feels much harder now than I seem to remember. How long does it take to get in decent running shape? I have been training for eight months and my goal is a HIM in 2017. Will I ever get my speed back or should I just relax and enjoy the training? Any thoughts?

2016-05-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: onefinwonder

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: RE: Decrepit old lady
2016-05-27 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Getting speed back in your 50's takes a lot of hard work especially when you start comparing your future potential with what you ran in your youth.  Just running miles and building base will only get you so far.  I'm 54 and ran sub 1:20 HM's when I was a teen.  Took most of my middle decades off from running and started back in about seven or eight years ago.

Initially I was very impatient and suffered three years of overuse injuries most notably Achilles tendonitis.  My will was there but my body could not take the intensity I was striving for.  After slowing it down, getting over my injuries, and building a stronger base I started following Jack Daniel's running workouts.  He throws in two or three "quality" workouts per week and they progress from repetitive speed work that are shorter, faster intervals that promote more efficient running form to some gut wrenching mile and 1,000 meter repeats as well as tempo runs.

I've also tried throwing in trail and hill climbing but while they built strength were not as effective as the track work at developing speed.  If you do decide to throw in higher intensity work be very careful and listen to your aches and pains.  Strained tendons and torn muscles do not heal nearly as fast as one gets older.

2016-05-27 4:12 PM

User image

You have a faster run than me than I did starting when I was 40.  I think you'll be surprised at where you are among your 50-54 peers (actually in 2017 you may be in the 55-59 AG).  Assuming a decent bike, I have a feeling you'd do quite well actually.

I just did Chattanooga 70.3 and looking at the winner of F 55-59 she swam a 1:30 (slightly current assisted) pace, biked a 20 mph split on a rolling course and ran a 1:50 HM

2016-05-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-After-50-Race-Strong/dp/1937715264

Fast After 50 is for every endurance athlete who wants to stay fast for years to come.

For runners, cyclists, triathletes, swimmers, and cross-country skiers, getting older doesn't have to mean getting slower. Drawing from the most current research on aging and sports performance, Joe Friel--America's leading endurance sports coach--shows how athletes can race strong and stay healthy well past age 50.

In his groundbreaking book Fast After 50, Friel offers a smart approach for athletes to ward off the effects of age. Friel shows athletes how to extend their racing careers for decades--and race to win.

Fast After 50 presents guidelines for high-intensity workouts, focused strength training, recovery, crosstraining, and nutrition for high performance:
•How the body's response to training changes with age, how to adapt your training plan, and how to avoid overtraining
•How to shed body fat and regain muscle density
•How to create a progressive plan for training, rest, recovery, and competition
•Workout guidelines, field tests, and intensity measurement

In Fast After 50, Joe Friel shows athletes that age is just a number--and race results are the only numbers that count.

With contributions from: Mark Allen, Gale Bernhardt, Amby Burfoot, Dr. Larry Creswell, John Howard, Dr. Tim Noakes, Ned Overend, Dr. John Post, Dr. Andrew

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-05-27 5:24 PM
2016-05-27 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Almost 47 here and pretty much identical background to you--competitive running and swimming as a kid and teen, probably a bit more competitive on the run than you (1:19 HM at 15, best marathon of 2:43 at 20, 17-minute 10K, 5-minute mile), less so for swimming (not college swimming material, 1500m in about 21 minutes). I started training regularly again at age 40 (had run recreationally pretty consistently 3-4 times a week most of the time since college), got into tri at 41. I thought I'd get back a lot more speed than I actually have. I don't feel like anything has really been lost in the areas of endurance or mental toughness, but the speed is just not there. What I have to offer--

*Be patient. It takes time to get motor memory back, and build a base. Don't rush it; as other have pointed out, it takes longer to recover from injuries.

*If you don't have a bike background, focus on that as a growth area for tri. There are some AMAZING women in their 50's, 60's, and even 70's competing in the Northwest (where I live when not working in Saigon) who can put down very fast bike splits. Since it's not an impact sport, you can put in a lot of work safely. I have continued to see progress on the bike since starting tri, much less so for the run and swim, presumably since I have no background int biking, and was so awful to begin with.

*Don't compare yourself to your younger self, but to your current fitness, and your AG competitors. If necessary, turn off the pace function on the Garmin and train by heart rate. I would hate running if I knew the speed I was going. No matter how well I'm doing for my current body and fitness, I look at the speed and think, "That sucks!" because, frankly, it does, compared to the girl who was one of the top 50 marathoners in the US at 20. Set goals that aren't necessarily time-related, like trying a new distance, race format, or particularly challenging event.

*Work on sport-specific technique and strength. A lot gets lost if you're not active. I developed bad habits that I never had as a youth swimmer when I started swimming again, maybe due to less strength and losing my "feel" for the water. Have a coach look at your swim and run form and give you advice. Don't assume because you used to be fast that your current technique is flawless. Mine's sure not.

*Swim a lot. It's "free", no impact cardio fitness. Ignore the triathletes who say the swim doesn't matter. It does, especially in the older female age groups where most people are adult onset swimmers. I am not an outstanding swimmer by USMS standards, yet I can gain almost 15 minutes in a half-ironman on some of my competition because of the swim. Sometimes that's enough to offset the fact that I'm still a mediocre bike relative to others who do similar overall times for the tri distances. (I qualified for 70.3 Worlds earlier this month.)

*Pay extra attention to nutrition and recovery. Make sure your iron levels are adequate. That has been an issue for me at times.

*I think you hit on the key. Enjoy the journey--the training, the races, the places you go and people you meet. The times you eventually hit may surprise you....or not. Don't want to be cruel, but realistically, you're NOT going to be hitting the 5-minute mile again, and that's okay. But it sounds like you have the potential to be a strong age-group competitor, and I'm glad you're just one year too old to end up in mine!

Hope some of the is useful and best of luck!

2016-06-02 4:10 PM
in reply to: #5184270

Thank you all so much for your valuable insight. Will just enjoy myself, relax and train conservatively. I am grateful I am still able to train. Ran a 23 minute 5k this weekend, so a little faster... will check out Friel's book. Fascinating.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Decrepit old lady Rss Feed