General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first TRI completed ! looking for recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-27 6:26 PM

Subject: first TRI completed ! looking for recommendations
Good evening all. I completed my first ever Tri last Saturday in the Harryman Olympic tri in Harriman, NY. I followed a 16 week plan faithfully and was confident in my distances and endurance. Unfortunatly for me, I have never experienced an open water swim other than a beach day with my kids. Yikes, I had quite an eye opener. Hopefully I will be able to take the lessons learned and apply it going forward. I think it was a tough course but have no reference. Finished at 3:12 ( was hoping for 3 ) but I felt I gave it my best effort so I wasnt dissapointed at all. My plans were to now do another tri this fall but reality slapped me in the face and reminded me that following a training plan thru the summer months with busy seasonal work would make it impossible. I plan on doing my second and third half marathons for the year in the fall, as I can do a running plan much easier. Heres the question; I think I can handle doing a half IM but it would have to be in the spring. Anyone in the New York area that could reccomend a good spring half IM distance tri ? ( other than the Harryman). I found the Tinnman in Tupper Lake, but that is usuall at the end of June. Thanks - Pete

2016-05-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: pmbooth

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: first TRI completed ! looking for recommendations
I would imagine you are going to have a tough time finding a half in the spring. Heck most of the halfs that happen that I know about are way way down south and even then the water can still be pretty chilly.
2016-05-28 3:48 AM
in reply to: #5184333

User image

Pete,
Tom is spot on. It may be challenging to find a race in your neck of the woods that early in the season. Take a look at www.trifind.com and see if you find any. You may have to travel South to find one.

I live in MI, and I don't even like racing up here until July. Ha ha

Good luck
2016-05-28 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5184358

Not new york but Lake Raystown in centralish PA has a half/oly/sprint in the middle of may. A small local tough course. A nice place for a long weekend getaway.
2016-05-29 6:02 AM
in reply to: pmbooth

User image

It is later than you are looking for, but I highly recommend Musselman in Geneva in July.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first TRI completed ! looking for recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Completed my first Tri today, Napa His Tri

Started by chrisSellars
Views: 650 Posts: 4

2007-10-08 7:43 AM mgmoore7

First Sprint Tri Complete!

Started by boodah
Views: 628 Posts: 3

2005-04-25 9:56 AM lablover

Completed my First TRI

Started by crpatterson001
Views: 630 Posts: 3

2005-04-06 12:11 PM princessliak

Completed my first Sprint Tri

Started by Daredvl
Views: 1027 Posts: 7

2005-01-20 1:14 PM Machiavelo

First Tri completed!

Started by JayC
Views: 1146 Posts: 2

2003-08-05 9:01 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.