General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bar end shifters on aerobars, road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-27 6:50 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Bar end shifters on aerobars, road bike?
I have aero bars mounted on a road bike. I'm really noticing how it disturbs my efficiency and balance when I have to reach over to the handlebars to shift, and I'm seriously considering putting bar end shifters on my aero bars. (This is cheap; getting a real tri bike is not!)
I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with this themselves, or seen where somebody else did it, or seen an article anywhere. I generally do my own mechanical work and am a little hesitant to ask my LBS for their opinion.
Deb

2016-05-28 4:31 PM
in reply to: ok2try

Subject: RE: Bar end shifters on aerobars, road bike?
I put bar end shifters on aerobars with a giant defy road bike I had. Well, I had my lbs do it. He didn't judge it, but some may. I did go with clip on bars which had internal cable routing instead of running the cables outside bars that were never meant for bar end shifters.

The result was easy shifting when in the aerobars of course. The drawback was when riding in groups (on the drop bars because who wants to ride in packs with people on their aerobars and away from their brakes?) and not having shifting at my fingers when needing it then. So it was still a limitation for me. If you ride solo most of the time, there wouldn't be any issue. Just the cost of recabling, bar end shifters, and time.
2016-05-29 1:27 PM
in reply to: stomponafrog

User image

Spencer, New York
Thanks for the reply!
Deb
2016-05-31 6:27 AM
in reply to: ok2try

another option, although you mention the cost is way less than a bike and these systems are more expensive, is to go with Di2 or etap. this would allow shifters both in the drops and in the aerobars, and if you wanted to take the aerobars off and run it just as a road bike you can do that too. im in the same position as you, i use a road bike with clip ons and have to reach for the drops to shift. i think that im going to make the investment in a tri bike soon, but believe me, i thought about the Di2/etap approach real hard too because it really has the ability to turn one bike into a do-it-all machine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bar end shifters on aerobars, road bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shifters on bar end AND base bar?

Started by reecealan
Views: 1682 Posts: 4

2015-03-11 12:22 PM morey000

aero bar brake levers and bar end shifters

Started by AtlantaBill
Views: 2202 Posts: 5

2016-06-05 10:24 AM russm0814

Aerolite Aero bars and bar end shifters

Started by GaryRM
Views: 684 Posts: 1

2009-04-23 1:12 PM GaryRM

FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 3060 Posts: 5

2009-01-02 12:46 PM caelric

Dura Ace bar-end shifters

Started by jryals
Views: 885 Posts: 1

2004-09-05 3:00 PM jryals
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : September 14, 2009
comments : 0
When I ride my triathlon bike and spend a lot of time on the base bars vs. the aerobars, I have been getting a lot of pain in my left wrist lately. Is there some adjustment I can make?

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.