General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting back on the horse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-27 10:30 PM

Subject: Getting back on the horse
I've been doing triathlons for 11 years. I've done 10 im and 24 half im. Two years ago this weekend I was hit by a drunk driver on a training ride. Broke my shoulder and some other stuff but came back and did a half and full. The full was exactly one year ago. But since then I can not seem to get back into training. It's been a year and still don't feel like doing anything - and I'm not. I've gained 25 pounds and feel like crap. I can't be the only person that used to live the tri life - loved it and now can't get the mojo. Thoughts?

2016-05-28 3:44 AM
in reply to: #5184350

User image

Subject: RE: Getting back on the horse
Very sorry to hear about your accident. I unfortunately lost 4 friends by way of drunk drivers almost 20 years ago, and it still haunts me to this day.

I loose focus fairly often during long training blocks and fall off the wagon with my diet, and life simply gets on the way of training. Wife and 3 kids under 7 can get busy.

If I were you, I would first retool your diet and try to get your weight back in check. This would be the easiest way to get back to a healthy lifestyle. Second, don't focus on your next IM or HIM... As crazy at it sounds, sign up and actually PAY for a 5k or 10k race. Remind yourself what you love about competition. Set a goal time (perhaps a realistic one) and just get back into the habit of running 1-2 days per week. I think as endurance athletes, we have a tendency to want to always set out for a PR at the longer distances, and that takes so much training, and frankly, your mind and body just are not there yet. I have no doubt you can get back there (if you want to), but you have to a realist and put in the training time to do so.

Anyway, good luck to you and I hope this is a little bit helpful.
2016-05-28 7:47 AM
in reply to: #5184357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
I would echo the comment about throwing in a 5k or 10k, or something different than tackling a full or half. Training for sprints and olympics can be just as rewarding without the need for the super long sessions and mental burnout.

What I have found that has worked for me after training for a long race, is the desire to do shorter distance races or completely new things that keep me active. I've been at this 9 years and tackled my first him in year 5, that was enough for me to lose the desire so I got a mountain bike and spent 3 straight years doing Xterra's, which has been an utter blast. Last season decided to do a Full and then just followed it with a HIM last weekend. I decided that the rest of this season will be random things that I feel like doing and don't have to follow a rigid volume plan to get there.

In fact, I'm headed out for a 20 mile mtn bike ride now just because I feel like being back in the woods.
2016-05-28 8:04 AM
in reply to: #5184366

Thank you !!! This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Much appreciated
2016-05-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: biker

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
If you don't have the desire to get back don't force it. With that being said, sometimes that hardest part of getting back is just getting started. Set a goal for yourself and get back on the horse and at least give it a shot. You may end up feeling better about it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting back on the horse Rss Feed