General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a 70.3 race that also has a seperate marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-28 8:04 AM

Subject: Is there a 70.3 race that also has a seperate marathon?
Hi Everyone,
First time on here. My girlfriend runs half and full marathons, and I'm just getting into Triathlons. I was wondering if anyone knew of a race that would have a 70.3 the same weekend as a marathon so that we could both take advantage of a vacation. Any ideas or suggestions would help. We're not limited to any area as long as it is in the US.
Thanks!
Nick

2016-05-28 8:30 AM
in reply to: npopa13

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Is there a 70.3 race that also has a seperate marathon?
There are quite a few places in the Pacific Northwest that have something like "endurance weekends" or "endurance festivals" with tris and run races of different distances over a weekend during the summer. I know there is one (Pacific Crest) in Oregon in late June. It's in the Sunriver resort area near Bend and Sisters. Sure that they have the following: 10K, half-marathon, marathon, Olympic distance du (bike is 29 miles, though) and tri, HIM du and tri. One caveat--Pac Crest is at altitude (goes up to about 6000 feet on the bike and back down; the swim, run and about half of the bike are at about 4000 feet), so you can expect cold water (50's, low 60's max) on the swim and possibly unstable weather at that time of year. The year I did it, I had signed up for the HIM (my first!) but ended up switching to the du due to very cold water and air temps (triggered asthma for me); bike course was also cut to 29 miles due to snow at the higher elevations. I didn't find the elevation affected my run--it was actually one of my best HIM splits, probably as I didn't swim and biked only half as much as standard! It did hail at one point on the run and temps went from 50 to 70...in an hour and 43 minutes, somehow. That was interesting.

I think there is a new, similar race weekend in the Mount Shasta area--you can Google it. Chelanman in Washington State (which was my first full HIM) offers the same deal. It is later in summer, in Eastern Washington (warmer and dryer than further west), and lower down (maybe 1500-3000 feet) so would not expect those issues. Rather slow, hilly course but one of the best swims out there, very well-organized, low-key local event that attracts some strong racers from the Seattle and Spokane areas.

I did Toughman in Washington State last year, and think they also offered a stand-alone half marathon, 10K, and 5K the same weekend, maybe the same day. Be warned--it's a VERY low-key race! 66 people for the HIM. Easy lake swim, flat but windy bike; part of the run is literally next to the ocean, on the sand. Not the fastest course, but interesting. Within an hour's drive of Olympic National Park.

All beautiful venues for a race and worthy of a trip. If on a budget, camping should be readily available nearby for any of these if you book in advance. A lot of families make a weekend of camping, fishing, and the various events.
2016-05-28 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
What about doing a relay and getting in a half marathon instead? There are lots of those.
2016-05-29 6:00 AM

User image

They are about an hour apart, but the Morgantown, WV, marathon is the same weekend as Savageman, and I believe the day before the 70.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a 70.3 race that also has a seperate marathon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Marathon race pace IM/70.3

Started by Freerider
Views: 1922 Posts: 8

2012-12-24 4:14 PM spie34

Am I having delusions of grandeur? Pages: 1 2

Started by acumenjay
Views: 3517 Posts: 38

2009-06-03 3:55 PM Baowolf

Attn. those with seperate race wheels

Started by Rollin' Thunder
Views: 765 Posts: 13

2005-07-08 1:43 PM magic

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1543 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola

Well I am having some trouble!!

Started by royj
Views: 930 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 1:18 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.