General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accuracy of Garmin vs. Strava Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-29 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
London, England
Subject: Accuracy of Garmin vs. Strava
Hey all -

I've been using Strava a lot since moving to London, and my pace has seemed a bit...ahem...faster than I'm used to. Thought maybe it was the desire to dodge bus fumes that was driving me to dash faster onto side streets, but today compared it to my new Garmin Forerunner 910xt.

So I ran the exact same route, and my moving average speed calculated at 7:50 minutes/mile, while my Garmin calculated my moving average speed as 8:20 minutes/mile. I did the math by hand just in case, and found that even with Strava rounding, the minimum difference per mile is 25 seconds between the two devices, all rooted in its measurement of distance.

So here's the question: which device more accurately measures distance - Garmin 910xt or Strava on an iPhone 6?

All thoughts welcome!

Thanks!
Nathan

2016-05-29 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Accuracy of Garmin vs. Strava
That's a fairly big difference which is not typical. Usually they will match within a few seconds if all the parameters equal.

Are the distances the same (or within experimental error)? If so, then check the "moving time" vs. "elapsed time" and check your autopause settings in Strava. It seems that it is likely subtracting more of the non-moving time (perhaps below a certain pace threshold) and thus calculating a faster moving pace.

edit: It also will depend on the satellite reception in your area. In general the accuracy of the Garmin should be higher but if both are losing signal frequently they will make different corrections and thus the data will look different. I normally get longer distance (and therefore faster pace) using the Strava app vs Garmin in areas with variable GPS reception, and in general the Garmin data is more reliable.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2016-05-29 1:46 PM
2016-05-30 7:11 AM
in reply to: byrdnj

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Accuracy of Garmin vs. Strava
GPS signal is not very accurate, especially when using a cellphone (you have two variables, GPS positioning accuracy and cell signal strength... if you have intermittent signals, then it will calculate distance based on last known coordinate, speed at that point and then new coordinate). Another major challenge is that if you run in hilly terrain (which you can't do around London...), the height calculations based on GPS signal are really inaccurate...

The 910XT is using barometric pressure to calculate height, so that is much more accurate, plus it relies on the GPS signal, not a cell signal.

Garmin will be more accurate.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accuracy of Garmin vs. Strava Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Polar RCX5 vs Garmin 310 vs Garmin 910

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 1974 Posts: 1

2012-03-01 1:15 PM TriathleteNut

Garmin 310xt gps accuracy issues

Started by GOAP
Views: 6850 Posts: 10

2010-10-14 8:42 AM GOAP

GPS accuracy, Garmin Forerunner 305 or Runkeeper?

Started by possum
Views: 8489 Posts: 14

2010-08-03 8:36 AM possum

Garmin Accuracy?

Started by keenanr
Views: 965 Posts: 7

2009-05-16 10:38 AM camy

Accuracy of Garmin 305 elevation??

Started by CarolinaLaw
Views: 825 Posts: 5

2006-12-20 10:41 AM AcesFull
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.