General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soldier Boys Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-30 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Soldier Boys
This past Saturday was our first day trip to the beach this season. It will hopefully be one of many. We are blessed to live in coastal Virginia and though traffic can be challenging we are relatively close to the Atlantic. It was a beautiful day. I was able to get in a good long ocean swim despite moderate waves and chop and the added drag of my board shorts (which mimicked a fully deployed parachute). I was even able to get in some body boarding although Virginia and waves aren't exactly synonymous. Later in the day a group of four young men approached and set up near us. They had brought a rather impressive inflatable raft that saw little time in the water due to a small hole. It quickly became apparent to me that they were military. There is a strong military presence in our area and a number of bases. They sported short haircuts though not just out of boot camp short. A couple of the guys had fresh tattoos and some of the imagery suggested the bravado and the invincibility of highly trained and motivated youth (an unfortunate fallacy). Hearing them speak from the periphery I could tell they were respectful and well mannered. Not long after they arrived one of the young men's parents came down. While listening to the exchange between mother and son it occurred to me that while a grown man and soldier he was not far removed from being this woman's little boy. That perspective shone new light on the weight and gravity of his decision to serve.

I think it is a fair assessment that much of our armed forces is comprised of young men and women who had not necessarily dreamt of being soldiers when they were little. I believe many (not all) chose military service when faced with scant opportunities and less appealing options. I know as a somewhat rudderless youth I considered the service. What struck me as I watched these young men was that they were brave. Maybe they had not been battle tested, or faced true peril yet and maybe they never would but each young man knew when he signed up that the possibility was there that he could die serving his country. The freedoms we all enjoy and often take for granted are dependent on the sacrifices and commitment of those who serve. No matter your political leanings we live in a world where a strong military is imperative. While I personally don't agree with every military action undertaken by our country I do not pretend to understand the subtle nuances of geopolitics. I do know that I am thankful for the service, sacrifices and ultimate sacrifice of many. Coupled with that gratitude is also shame that I often take that service for granted and do not fully appreciate the great blessing of residing under the rights, protection and freedoms of the stars and stripes.

Thank you to all who serve or have served and thank you to those who gave their lives in the name of freedom.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soldier Boys Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brave Soldier Challenge

Started by yeszir1
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2012-03-05 5:57 PM yeszir1

Boy oh Boy

Started by latrina
Views: 2550 Posts: 17

2008-09-10 7:27 AM chirunner134

2nd tri, boy am I frustrated....

Started by writers2
Views: 949 Posts: 13

2004-07-12 12:42 PM Motivated

Boy did I screw up today...bumming bigtime

Started by DRM
Views: 1005 Posts: 5

2004-04-14 9:22 PM Hermom

After school events/activities with my boys

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1164 Posts: 7

2004-03-29 5:01 PM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!