General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New triathlete hopefull. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-03 10:52 AM

Subject: New triathlete hopefull.
I'm from SoCal and training for the 2017 Ironman 70 I make the age cutoff by a day. If anyone has any advice or tips training plans or suggestions for where to get cheap Tri gear please let me know.P.S. I'm 6'6 and need to know where to find taller Tri gear as well.

2016-06-03 11:47 PM
in reply to: CaliWolf

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: New triathlete hopefull.
Hello and welcome to the forums.

First things first, just start training. Don't over complicate it, just get out and run, grab a bike and start putting down the miles, and get in the pool and start practicing your form.

I think swimming is the simplest of sports, but the most difficult to master. So I would suggest getting a membership at a local YMCA, or community pool and get in the water. Your going to focus on the freestyle, go on youtube and search for triathlete and freestyle swimming. This will get you started on learning the basic techniques.

Bike does NOT need to be complicated or expensive. I rock a 88' Peugeot 12 speed I bought for a $150. Again don't over complicate it, just get on the saddle and start peddling. Again, youtube is your friend. As you go along you will learn more. You don't need fancy jerseys, clip in pedals, tri bars, aero helmets, none of that is going to make you win in training.

Running, you want a good pair of running shoes. Don't go by what the sales person tells you is the hottest shoe, go with what fits your feet. Unless you have specific orthodic needs, keep it minimal or a neutral. Most good running stores will have a treadmill and will have you run on it and make a short video of your 'gait', this will help determine the correct shoe for you. Again the concept is simple, get out and run, start putting down some miles. I really enjoyed a subscription to 'Runners World' when I first got started.

Once you start training and getting some miles down you will start learning more and more about what works and what doesn't.

First things first, get out the door and train. Just get started, don't think about it, just do it!

Cheers
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New triathlete hopefull. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New from RI. New to triathlete fitness also.

Started by driphter
Views: 889 Posts: 2

2010-06-24 8:33 AM trinnas

Triathlete Hopefull!

Started by Hootie2257
Views: 832 Posts: 4

2009-06-29 12:21 PM Dlaxman31

New baby, new wannabe triathlete

Started by AKR18
Views: 1086 Posts: 7

2008-02-01 9:40 PM Medusa_Ann

brand new triathlete! and new BT

Started by kt65
Views: 968 Posts: 4

2007-10-01 1:16 PM texmom

New Triathlete, New City: New Concord, OH

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 1492 Posts: 7

2005-07-15 9:22 AM stupidnickname
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 21, 2012
author : sallyddrake
comments : 0
Off-Season thoughts for new triathletes including indoor training, Computrainers, heart-rate training and strength training.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.