General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering at a Local Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-05 6:04 PM

User image

Subject: Volunteering at a Local Triathlon
This morning my daughter and I went to a local tri (sprint and olympic courses) and helped pass out water and finisher medals. It was a great learning experience since I have yet to do a triathlon. I was able to watch the wave start of the swim, the athletes leaving the water and heading to T1, and most importantly to me, what a few of them were doing at T1. I have a better understanding of what needs to happen at the first transition.

I would recommend volunteering at a local tri before actually doing one if you have any concerns as to how they work. I can see myself volunteering for more of them to come, as it's fun to help out and be around a bunch of others that enjoy the sport.

J White

2016-06-06 7:06 AM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Volunteering at a Local Triathlon

I have a hometown rule.  If there is a local race within my area, I always volunteer at it.  I race out of town.  Volunteers are what makes a race successful.  Pamper those racing in your town in hopes to grow the race.

2016-06-06 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Jwse30 This morning my daughter and I went to a local tri (sprint and olympic courses) and helped pass out water and finisher medals. It was a great learning experience since I have yet to do a triathlon. I was able to watch the wave start of the swim, the athletes leaving the water and heading to T1, and most importantly to me, what a few of them were doing at T1. I have a better understanding of what needs to happen at the first transition. I would recommend volunteering at a local tri before actually doing one if you have any concerns as to how they work. I can see myself volunteering for more of them to come, as it's fun to help out and be around a bunch of others that enjoy the sport. J White

Good for you giving back to the sport!

I really enjoy volunteering and try to work at 3-4 events per year.  You not only learn a lot by watching, but it's always inspiring to me.  Many folks don't realize how much work goes on behind the scenes to run a successful race.  That's why I try to thank as many volunteers as I can when I do a race.

I'm also taking another step and am in the process of getting certified as a US Swimming Stroke and Turn judge.  I mostly doing it so I can help officiate at age group meets held at my pool, but also at Masters meets and possibly high school meets.

Mark

2016-06-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think you should Volunteer at least once a year. I personally like to be a on the run course because you can interact with the particpants.I Volunteer before I raced and saw the crazyness of a tri and just had to do it.
2016-06-06 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Thanks for volunteering!

I too volunteered yesterday, helped with cone setup and worked the finish line once it go rolling.  Hot and humid and was a lot of hard work. Being the only male at the finish I made sure the cases of water were properly cycled in the 6 coolers we had filled with ice so that the finishers had cold water.   Also snagged chips off competitors when I could.  Man I was soaked with sweat!

2016-06-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: #5185426

User image

Mark wrote:

I'm also taking another step and am in the process of getting certified as a US Swimming Stroke and Turn judge. I mostly doing it so I can help officiate at age group meets held at my pool, but also at Masters meets and possibly high school meets.

Mark

Officiating a Masters meet is what got me interested in triathlon. If you attend many age group meets (such as having a child that is on the team), I think you will see that it is much better to be on deck than up in the stands.

When I was doing the test portion of it, I printed off the test and brought it and an iPad to a meet. I was able to complere the test while I was waiting for my daughter's events. It worked out very well.

One more piece of advice if you have an affiliation with an age group team: see which of the fees for you certification they will pay for. I think our club pays for everything after you pass the initial background check. I think they will reimburse us for that too (it has been a few years). I know the first year I paid for the card out of pocket, not knowing that they would have paid it for me.

Hope this helps,

J White

2016-06-06 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Jwse30 Mark wrote: I'm also taking another step and am in the process of getting certified as a US Swimming Stroke and Turn judge. I mostly doing it so I can help officiate at age group meets held at my pool, but also at Masters meets and possibly high school meets. Mark Officiating a Masters meet is what got me interested in triathlon. If you attend many age group meets (such as having a child that is on the team), I think you will see that it is much better to be on deck than up in the stands. When I was doing the test portion of it, I printed off the test and brought it and an iPad to a meet. I was able to complere the test while I was waiting for my daughter's events. It worked out very well. One more piece of advice if you have an affiliation with an age group team: see which of the fees for you certification they will pay for. I think our club pays for everything after you pass the initial background check. I think they will reimburse us for that too (it has been a few years). I know the first year I paid for the card out of pocket, not knowing that they would have paid it for me. Hope this helps, J White

I don't have young kids anymore, but am doing it to help out the kid's team that's associated with our Masters group so they can start holding developmental meets at our home pool.  I've volunteered as a timer at meets for years, and really enjoyed it, so I thought this would be a good next step.  If nothing else, it will give me something more to do when I retire in a couple of years.  Our regional guy already talked to me about the possibility of working both some Masters and high school meets later in the year.  It seems they are always struggling to get a full complement of officials at meets.

I've completed the online rules test, the Athlete Protection program, had my background check and am working on completing my 20 apprentice hours.

Besides myself, there are nine other parents going through the process.  The head coach offered financial assistance if needed, but I'm in the position to afford it, so no big deal.  

Looking forward to it!

Mark

2016-06-06 2:24 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Jwse30 This morning my daughter and I went to a local tri (sprint and olympic courses) and helped pass out water and finisher medals. It was a great learning experience since I have yet to do a triathlon. I was able to watch the wave start of the swim, the athletes leaving the water and heading to T1, and most importantly to me, what a few of them were doing at T1. I have a better understanding of what needs to happen at the first transition. I would recommend volunteering at a local tri before actually doing one if you have any concerns as to how they work. I can see myself volunteering for more of them to come, as it's fun to help out and be around a bunch of others that enjoy the sport. J White

Good for you giving back to the sport!

I really enjoy volunteering and try to work at 3-4 events per year.  You not only learn a lot by watching, but it's always inspiring to me.  Many folks don't realize how much work goes on behind the scenes to run a successful race.  That's why I try to thank as many volunteers as I can when I do a race.

I'm also taking another step and am in the process of getting certified as a US Swimming Stroke and Turn judge.  I mostly doing it so I can help officiate at age group meets held at my pool, but also at Masters meets and possibly high school meets.

Mark

I enjoy volunteering as well, it is nice to be able to give back.  Headed back to IMC to volunteer again this year.  And I do my best to thank every volunteer I pass in races I do.  We can't race without them.  I find that when I am at that point in a race when I am hurting and hating every minute of it, thanking a volunteer always gives me a lift (why I don't know, but it works!).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering at a Local Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Article Promoting Triathlons for Kids in my Local Paper

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 638 Posts: 5

2010-09-24 8:49 PM Tundra_Man

Starting a local Triathlon Club

Started by heartopener
Views: 807 Posts: 6

2008-02-22 12:42 PM sel166

Volunteering- rules regarding the "karma of volunteering"

Started by joelkratzer
Views: 1068 Posts: 8

2007-03-28 4:19 PM coachese

DC Locals - Local triathlete to be profiled on NBC4 tonight

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 1261 Posts: 5

2006-05-30 10:44 PM BodyCheck

Local Triathlon Shops

Started by Hawkeye
Views: 951 Posts: 5

2005-01-23 9:07 AM JGFTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.
date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
comments : 0
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!