General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Novice due to race 13 Aug Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-06 2:13 AM

Subject: Novice due to race 13 Aug
Hi people!
Last year, the doctors had nothing good to say about my health so... I've signed up for a novice triathlon on 13 August. Since at the start of the year I couldn't swim a length nor run 10 metres, I went for a short distance: 200 m swim, 4 km bike and 2 km run. I'm pleased to say I can now do all three - although the running is REALLY hard - and slow.

I've just set up a plan for the next few weeks before the race. It would be great if you could take a look and tell me what you think. To get fit, I've been exercising 3 times a week. This plan increases that to 5 times a week (most weeks). Where it says 2 (or 3) activities on a day, that means in quick succession - a "brick" if I have the terminology right. So most of those will be at the gym where I also swim.

So what do you think? Is this about right?
Thanks for your tips.

Attachments
----------------
triathlon.xlsx (10KB - 6 downloads)

2016-06-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: GillS

Subject: RE: Novice due to race 13 Aug
Hi Gill,

Congrats on deciding to take the time to take care of yourself. You chose a very challenging and rewarding sport. You are going to do great if you stay consistent.

Your progression looks sound. I would suggest that you work up to runs, bikes, and swims that are the same length, or about the same length as your race distances. (Example; Get to a 800m swim at some point if the distance of your swim leg is 800m) If 800 m straight is too daunting do 4x200 or 8x100 freestyle efforts.

One last thing that I would suggest is adding some core and strength work into your workouts. You could do these on your days off or on your swimming days. An example of strength training could be. (3x: 10x air squats; 10x push ups; 10 x rows; 1 min bridge) Sets of bridging would be a great addition to your workout plan along with crunches and leg lifts. Also doing any exercise with one leg/one arm engages your core in a dynamic way that using 2 legs or 2 arms does not allow.

Again congrats and I look forward to hearing about your success!

Chad Castillo

[email protected]
2016-06-08 4:48 AM
in reply to: Chad Castillo

Subject: RE: Novice due to race 13 Aug
Thanks Chad. So I'm up to the distance now in all 3 disciplines - which is real progress for me. I'm 46 and not much of an athlete - never have been!
On strength training, I haven't really got the hang of that yet. I can certainly add it to the gym days. What's a bridge? I think I understood the other things you suggested.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Novice due to race 13 Aug Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Completed IMUK 2012&13 and preparing for IMUK 2014

Started by ajcrabtree
Views: 959 Posts: 5

2014-01-02 2:47 PM ajcrabtree

October 13.....1st Sprint

Started by whalebaldone
Views: 862 Posts: 5

2012-05-09 12:11 AM macnmotion

New PC Triathlete..here first tri sunday 7/13

Started by Scottywheels
Views: 763 Posts: 5

2008-07-12 8:45 AM mndiver

IM in 13 Months?

Started by mllrym
Views: 633 Posts: 3

2004-09-27 9:46 PM Ron

T minus 13 days, 19 hours

Started by vertical_listing
Views: 754 Posts: 7

2004-08-13 2:14 PM usarocks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
As a novice swimmer I have listed a few things that may help you build your endurance as you approach the water with a sprint race in your future. It can be overwhelming if you are not a fish.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?

date : October 30, 2005
author : paulee74
I like to go out a few times a week. I like good food. I have often lost my way on the path to the holy grail of fitness.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"Being novices to the sport, we feel a bit anxious about our lack of knowledge about competing in a triathlon. Our primary worry? The bike leg."