United States
Rev3
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 34s
Overall Rank = 313/799
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 30/58
Pre-race routine:

After only 3 hrs of sleep (personal issue with my Dad's health), got up at 3:30am, got food/drink for the ride, applied race tattoos and headed out. Arrived 5:15am (good parking - very important with big truck). Had coffee, pb on white bread and water on the way. Got transition set up - I had an end spot, so plenty of room. Found Dale and said hello. Was feeling decent, considering lack of sleep. Putting my wet suit on was a treat - I didn't lose the weight I had promised myself I'd lose, so it was a bit tight. Had an X2 and some Gatorade/
Event warmup:

There was significant fog on the lake, so for safety reasons, we weren't allowed outside of the roped in swim area. Someone started a circle swim, but it was crowded and only gave about 10 yards each way of actual swimming. Regardless, I tried to get my heart rate up. As the fog lifted, I got one decent swim out and back, but definitely not my normal warm up. Start was delayed by about 30 mins. Too much standing around as usual.
Swim
  • 28m 58s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lots of contact in first 250 yds - couldn't get my breathing settled and my heart rate was spiking, so I was not having fun. Many people cutting across my line - crazy. Started to settle as I got to the first buoy. Found space and got into a rhythm after the buoy and felt strong. Very little contact the rest of the way. Held a good line on the inside and minimized the route.
What would you do differently?:

Better warm up would have been good. Not sure how to stay better settled at the beginning.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

A bit of struggle with wetsuit, but not terrible. Minor cramping on my left calf.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 29m 48s
  • 25.7 miles
  • 17.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Lots of room for improvement - I was slow. I certainly don't climb as well on my Tri-bike as I do on my Tarmac - was hoping to make up for that on the down hills and flats (but there weren't too many flats). I got passed a lot. Need more miles and more hills in training I guess. Had a nice pebble in my shoe from T1 that was an added bonus. I drank all my water in the bladder, and had a Gu, but probably should have had more calories - need to practice using the behind the seat bottle holder more - its a bit tricky getting the bottle back in.

Go faster up the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Nothing fancy here. I did choose to put on socks, which took some time, but happy I did. Foot was a bit sore from the pebble, plus I haven't had much barefoot time in my shoes this year.

Should have taken the time to have a gel or other calorie intake.
Run
  • 1h 00m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I was dreading this due to my knee issues, so my goal was simply to run the whole course. I did that, despite some very slow shuffling up the hills and careful stepping down the hills. Did not experience the pain I expected, so I was pleased with that. I was definitely feeling like I was on the verge of bonking due to the lack of intake on the bike - I had 2 gets and drank mostly water during the run to try and make up for it. It was a slow run, but I was proud of my perseverance to keep it going despite the knee problems that limited my training significantly.

Not much - injury limited training. Probably should have fueled up more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some warm Gatorade (gross) and went to the med tent for ice for my knee. As usual, shade and a chair were tough to find, so I was happy to sit in medical with ice on my knee for a bit. The cool towel on my head was nice (thanks Rev3). After about 10 minutes or so, I limped back to transition to get my stuff and get out - wanted to check on my Dad and get home - wasn't hungry for the burgers and dogs, plus its just too hot in the sun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Many things! Big picture - lack of run training due to injury. I did do a lot of off season bike training, but it didn't translate to the road. 3 hours of sleep didn't help much either, but nothing I could do about that. All excuses at this point.

Event comments:

Quassy is tough - no doubt. Hills, hills and hills. But I keep coming back!! Rev3 does a great job - everything was well organized and the volunteers were some of the best I've experienced - proactive, enthusiastic, etc. The late start was due to fog on the lake, not their fault. I would rate it a 5 for how they manage the event, but the course difficulty makes it a 4 to me.

Last updated: 2016-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:58 | 1584 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/58
Overall: 218/799
Performance: Average
Suit: Pro-Motion Sleeveless
Course: Triangle - out to the left, across, then back on the right to shore. Buoys were easy to spot with the fog gone.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:48 | 25.7 miles | 17.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/58
Overall: 299/799
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Lollipop with tons of hills. Elevation gain of 1685 feet over the course. Several steep ones. Of course, with that comes some screaming down hills also. But the hills of Quassy are brutal.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:15 | 06.2 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/58
Overall: 413/799
Performance: Below average
Course: Lollipop with tons of hills (again). Lots of downhill to start (not comfortable on my knee). Then lots of up and down throughout (some steep) with the brutal climb back up to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-06 8:52 AM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

Started by Ned42
Views: 1131 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 4:28 PM ratherbeswimming

Started by littycm
Views: 1087 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 5:41 PM littycm

Started by SunnyS
Views: 1389 Posts: 1

2011-08-03 2:03 PM SunnyS

Started by kj_tri
Views: 1388 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:47 AM kj_tri

Started by mll1605
Views: 1892 Posts: 3

2011-06-05 2:44 PM jmk-brooklyn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!