Castro Valley Track Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 15s
Overall Rank = 105/145
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/18
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Oakland the day before the race and visited the Oakland Zoo (Lions and Tigers, oh my!). Enjoyed a delicious pre-race sushi dinner then called it an early evening.
Event warmup:

Woke up early and drove out to the run site fairly early to get registration taken care of. As the start time drew closer I had a gel, stretched my legs, and lined up at the start.
Run
  • 2h 24m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm still fairly new to trail running so my plan was to run where the terrain was easy and power walk the steep hills.

The first 1.75 miles followed the tree lined lake shore and was a great start to the run before getting to the first hill. Climbing up from the lake for about .5 mile and 250' of elevation to a ridge line where the trail ran through an archway of oak trees. A challenging climb however the scenery made the effort worthwhile. Aside from a few steep spots the descent back down to lake level was smooth.

The second hill made the first one seem easy: 1.75 miles and 600' of elevation! The sun had burned away the morning clouds so the temperature was rising and the shade was spotty. Once at the top, the view was great! I paused at the aid station to eat my second gel then began the descent.

Heading down from the second hill was a loop in the trail that went about halfway down the hill then back up to the aid station at the top. Here the trail left the fire road and became single-track for the most part. The return uphill portion wound through a eucalyptus grove so it was nice and shady. At the aid station I refilled my water bottle and started the long descent down to the lake.

As the trail meandered through the upper reaches of the park and slowly descended down towards the lake I was really starting to feel the mileage. I did my best to keep running and only walking the occasional steep uphill bend in the trail however it was getting tougher to keep moving.

At the top of the last steep downhill section the lake came into view. I could see a little island that we passed in the first mile however I was now on the opposite shore. Not having a very good mental map of the lake I figured at the bottom of the hill the course would turn right and head to the finish. When I made it to the bottom the course turned left, much to my dismay. I checked my GPS and realized I still had 3 miles to go and it seemed so close yet so far away.

With the course back down at the shore line the terrain was mostly flat however my gas tank was mostly empty. For a regular road half-marathon I on have a gel at the start and at around an hour with my finish time at the 2 hour mark. At this point I was past the 2 hour mark and I was wishing I had one more gel to get to the finish. Fortunately at mile 11 there was an aid station and they had gels! Normally I just grab some water and keep running but this time I needed the break. As I downed the gel a helpful volunteer filled up my water bottle. Re-energized from the break I thanked everyone at the aid station and got back on the trail.

The last 2 miles were slow but steady and the gel helped get my mind back in the game. Finally the finish line came into view and I finished as strong as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Longer duration training runs will help a lot. In retrospect it was the time spent on the trail that made the last couple of miles so difficult instead of the distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched my legs, ate some orange slices and banana, and iced my foot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more training on hilly trails.

Event comments:

Challenging but rewarding course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:15 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 105/145
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1200987838
Course: Hilly trail course. Mostly on fire roads with a few miles of single track.Total elevation gain: 1,554 ft.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-06 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Lake Chabot Trail Challenge

2016-06-11 3:49 AM
in reply to: #5185614

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Lake Chabot Trail Challenge
Well done! Seems like perfect temperature and look relaxed at the finish line!

Juan
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chabot Trail Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Chabot Trail Challenge

Started by Fielding
Views: 1628 Posts: 4

2009-06-09 7:28 PM QueenZipp

Started by bhoover10001
Views: 1194 Posts: 2

2008-06-02 1:18 PM Fielding

Started by joebowler
Views: 1103 Posts: 3

2006-06-07 12:18 PM TriathleteNut

DSE Coastal Trail Challenge 1/2 Marathon & 10K

Started by can_80_n
Views: 1011 Posts: 2

2005-08-29 3:02 PM onefitgeek

DSE Coastal Trail Challenge 1/2 Marathon & 10K

Started by joemars
Views: 948 Posts: 1

2005-08-28 7:25 PM joemars
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.