in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Long swim frequency

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by davejustdave

Originally posted by davejustdave I'm gonna disagree with thos who say straight endurance swims are worthless for triathletes. I try to do at least one continuous long swim a week (by long, I mean 2000 yards or more) There is a HUGE difference both physically and mentally between swimming 2k solid at race pace with zero seconds rest (aside from th .5 seconds for a flip turn) and 2k yards at the same effort level but as 20x100 with 10 or 20 or even 5 seconds rest between 100s. Doing speed work is critical as well, just like in running, but the long ones make a big difference, IMO. For me, the results have been pretty clear.

The bolded is where you fall off the page. 

Again, there is nothing special about "triathlon swimming".   Learning to have a faster swim (and there is quite a bit of learning vs. fitness in swimming) is the same principle for all swimming.

Which is why everyone just does sets of 25s and OW swims have no value, because all swimming is the same once you get fit, right?

Actually, nobody that knows anything about swim training just does sets of 25's.....that would be stupid.  And getting fit has the least to do with fast swimming compared to learning to swim well......but carry on.  

If I remember right, you have at least some formal swim background.......you didn't learn to swim well by swimming long swims.  Nobody does.

OK, I totally get that form is a huge - even totally hugest - part of how you swim fast for as long as you can HOLD that good form (once learned).  The part I don't get, though, is how one learns to hold that form 2000m into a swim - so that you swim fast at the end of a long, continuous swim (which is what you do in a tri race) and not look like the end of the video...

Just by doing enough short work in a given session to get the total yardage, and keeping rest just short enough to keep your form together but not so much that you recover cardiovascularly?

Oh, and to my post above, the dang thing was so long, there were a couple good posts from when I opened it to when I finished (and I stepped away for a while).  Apologies to the reader. 

Guess I'm just slow on the uptake with this swimming stuff.  Not trying to troll at all - really just curious.

Thanks

Matt

2016-06-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
mcmanusclan5 just put in writing what I've been wondering. I guess it's better to scaffold yourself to longer distances with your best form than to try and improve your time fighting poor form which can mess up your technique over time if you spend too much time struggling. Or is it a cardio/respiratory/muscle performance benefit?

Edited by runtim23 2016-06-07 5:37 PM
2016-06-07 5:36 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Just my .02.   In season I do Masters 2X a week, sometimes a third day solo, and do one longer ocean swim 1-2 miles.  Getting out with a *fast* group (i.e., faster than you). and hanging with the group for the duration can be a great workout and a very important part of training.  IMO  But assumes you have the techniques and skill to do that properly 

2016-06-07 6:14 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by davejustdave

Originally posted by davejustdave I'm gonna disagree with thos who say straight endurance swims are worthless for triathletes. I try to do at least one continuous long swim a week (by long, I mean 2000 yards or more) There is a HUGE difference both physically and mentally between swimming 2k solid at race pace with zero seconds rest (aside from th .5 seconds for a flip turn) and 2k yards at the same effort level but as 20x100 with 10 or 20 or even 5 seconds rest between 100s. Doing speed work is critical as well, just like in running, but the long ones make a big difference, IMO. For me, the results have been pretty clear.

The bolded is where you fall off the page. 

Again, there is nothing special about "triathlon swimming".   Learning to have a faster swim (and there is quite a bit of learning vs. fitness in swimming) is the same principle for all swimming.

Which is why everyone just does sets of 25s and OW swims have no value, because all swimming is the same once you get fit, right?

Actually, nobody that knows anything about swim training just does sets of 25's.....that would be stupid.  And getting fit has the least to do with fast swimming compared to learning to swim well......but carry on.  

If I remember right, you have at least some formal swim background.......you didn't learn to swim well by swimming long swims.  Nobody does.

Just by doing enough short work in a given session to get the total yardage, and keeping rest just short enough to keep your form together but not so much that you recover cardiovascularly?

In short, yes.  It's been the way to swimming faster/better for a very long time.  Think of a long swim like you think of a FTP cycling test....and when you do it, pick a time, say 30 minutes, and count the laps.  Do that once per month and watch the laps go up.......you're getting faster.

2016-06-07 7:36 PM

User image

I used to do 2,500 - 3,500 strait every 1-2 months as a confidence booster and to help pace myself during races (open turns...still can't flip turn XD). I haven't done it in a year though. For those that are curious: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/749170450 You'll see that my first 50 is a little faster but otherwise I'm pretty consistent. I do think doing it every 2 months is helpful, at least for me. I still had OWS fears and doing these helped reinforce that I have the endurance and I just need to remain calm. As others have repeatedly said, this will NOT make you faster. I expect posts below flaming me though.
2016-06-08 7:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Let's say you can do that 2000 yards straight at a 1:45/100 pace.  I guarantee you that doing 20x100 on 1:45 touching the wall at 1:35 is WAY more effective than doing that straight swim.

That's a pretty unrealistic example. It takes a LOT more energy to swim ten seconds faster a 100, and 10 seconds of rest every 100 won't be nearly enough to recover.....unless you were really loafing the 2000 straight in the first place. If your 2000 straight pace truly is 1:45/100, you won't get but a handful of 100's at a 1:35 pace on a 1:45 interval before you fall behind the interval. Now you're back to "straight swimming," except your exhausted, and swimming slowly, probably with poor form. Not a good idea.

A better suggestion might be 20x100 on 1:55 targeting a touch of 1:42. Once you can make that, it's time to start increasing the total distance by alternately increasing the # of reps, or increasing the rep distance. For example, you might go to 25x100 on 1:55 with a target time of 1:42. one workout, and 20x125 on 2:25 with a target time of 2:08 the next. Then mix in some sets that are even a bit faster, but with a bit more rest. Like 20-25 x 100 on 2:00 or 2:05 targeting 1:40. This is they type of work I do in the build phase. For a 2000, I'd eventually want the sets to stretch out to 3000 yards, alternating 20x150 's and 15x200's. If I could hold a particular pace to the end of 15x200 on 15-20 seconds rest, I'd increase the pace.

As you near your race, it's time to consolidate the improved capacity you've hopefully built and lock in a sustainable pace. The pace you could hold for 15x200 on 15-20 seconds rest ought to give you a pretty good baseline. If you're training for a swim-only race, you'd work to consolidate that pace by increasing the distance per repeat, but decreasing the total distance per set, using something I call the "consolidation pyramid." For a 2000, it would go something like 10x250, then 5 x 400 on the next workout, then 3 x 600, then 2 x 800, culminating in a 1500 time trial at the targeted pace which you should be able to finish with some effort, but feel like you have sufficient energy left in the tank to finish strong.

For a triathlon, the method would be similar, but the objective would be a little different. You're not trying to maximize you're 2000 time, you're trying to maximize the time/effort balance. The effort it takes to hold a pace for 15x200 may be more than you want to expend on the swim leg. Hopefully you've built enough capacity that you can back off that pace a little and still be a faster than you were in the start. Make an educated guess as to what pace you can hold at the effort you want to expend, and use the consolidation pyramid to validate it. Worst case scenario, you swim the same pace you started with, but with less effort. Going back to our original example, our best 2000 time was a 1:45. Hopefully we can now do that 2000 in something like a 1:42-1:43 pace. But even if we end up doing the same 1:45/100 we started with, but arrive at T1 feeling fresh instead of fatigued, we've almost certainly still improved our total finish time.

Edited by gary p 2016-06-08 8:07 AM

2016-06-08 7:57 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by gary p
Originally posted by axteraa Let's say you can do that 2000 yards straight at a 1:45/100 pace.  I guarantee you that doing 20x100 on 1:45 touching the wall at 1:35 is WAY more effective than doing that straight swim.
That's a pretty unrealistic example. It takes a LOT more energy to swim ten seconds faster a 100, and 10 seconds of rest every 100 won't be nearly enough to recover.....unless you were really loafing the 2000 straight in the first place. If your 2000 straight pace truly is 1:45/100, you won't get but a handful of 100's at a 1:35 pace on a 1:45 interval before you fall behind the interval. Now you're back to "straight swimming," except your exhausted, and swimming slowly, probably with poor form. Not a good idea.  

You're right, it was a bit unrealistic.  When I was posting it I considered using different times but in the end I used it for the simplicity of the math.

2016-06-08 8:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

After reading this thread, I still don't understand why everyone is so negative on a long swim set every once in a while. For all of us weekend warriors, knowing that you can swim the distance is a big confidence boost. Distance swim and upper back stamina is different on long sets than on short sets - why not test yourself sometimes to see test your fitness? If you want to finish and finish well, then long sets are ok imho. If you want to podium, then speed is more critical and perhaps short intense sets are better.....but that's probably not the majority of us.

Yes, form drops off towards the end of a long set, but I'm sure everyone's run form drops off towards the end of a long run too. I just think folks are getting too caught up on things. Most of our swim training can be short sets, but swimming a long set is helpful too.

2016-06-08 8:27 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LarchmontTri After reading this thread, I still don't understand why everyone is so negative on a long swim set every once in a while. For all of us weekend warriors, knowing that you can swim the distance is a big confidence boost. Distance swim and upper back stamina is different on long sets than on short sets - why not test yourself sometimes to see test your fitness? If you want to finish and finish well, then long sets are ok imho. If you want to podium, then speed is more critical and perhaps short intense sets are better.....but that's probably not the majority of us. Yes, form drops off towards the end of a long set, but I'm sure everyone's run form drops off towards the end of a long run too. I just think folks are getting too caught up on things. Most of our swim training can be short sets, but swimming a long set is helpful too.

The difference is that your run form breaking down won't ingrain bad technique habits like your swim stroke breaking down will....and for swimming that's a big problem.

The truth is most people who do triathlon don't do good swim intervals because they are hard....done properly they are REALLY hard.  It's much easier to "see how far I can go".

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-08 8:48 AM
2016-06-08 9:01 AM

User image

Originally posted by LarchmontTriAfter reading this thread, I still don't understand why everyone is so negative on a long swim set every once in a while. For all of us weekend warriors, knowing that you can swim the distance is a big confidence boost. Distance swim and upper back stamina is different on long sets than on short sets - why not test yourself sometimes to see test your fitness? If you want to finish and finish well, then long sets are ok imho. If you want to podium, then speed is more critical and perhaps short intense sets are better.....but that's probably not the majority of us.Yes, form drops off towards the end of a long set, but I'm sure everyone's run form drops off towards the end of a long run too. I just think folks are getting too caught up on things. Most of our swim training can be short sets, but swimming a long set is helpful too.

I don't think everyone is negative on a long swim set everyone once in a while.  It just depends on how often you are doing it.  Once a week is too often with limited time to get in the water.  Once a month is a different thing if you are testing your fitness. 

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-06-08 9:03 AM
2016-06-08 10:03 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by LarchmontTriAfter reading this thread, I still don't understand why everyone is so negative on a long swim set every once in a while. For all of us weekend warriors, knowing that you can swim the distance is a big confidence boost. Distance swim and upper back stamina is different on long sets than on short sets - why not test yourself sometimes to see test your fitness? If you want to finish and finish well, then long sets are ok imho. If you want to podium, then speed is more critical and perhaps short intense sets are better.....but that's probably not the majority of us.Yes, form drops off towards the end of a long set, but I'm sure everyone's run form drops off towards the end of a long run too. I just think folks are getting too caught up on things. Most of our swim training can be short sets, but swimming a long set is helpful too.

I don't think everyone is negative on a long swim set everyone once in a while.  It just depends on how often you are doing it.  Once a week is too often with limited time to get in the water.  Once a month is a different thing if you are testing your fitness. 

Also nothing wrong with doing some longer stuff leading up to an event. There should be a purpose to it, confidence, getting the feel of swimming that long, etc. Your stroke does change when your doing short distance vs long distance.

Most of your swimming should be under 200 yards, but during warm up there is nothing wrong with doing a couple of 300's or 4oo's where you concentrate on you stroke, of do drills.

To swim fast long distance you must first be able to swim short distances fast.

2016-06-08 10:09 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am absolutely not an expert on this topic, but I want to share my experience. I was following the "0 to 1650" plan with mixed results (for various reasons). I started doing "50x50". I have not reached fifty laps yet, but I got to 30. I could not believe how much it helped me with 1) endurance, 2) stroke (I believe?) 3) speed.

I am not even close to some of you guys with 2,000+ yards, and there is plenty of work for me to do, but I found it very interesting how repetitions of 50 yards did a better job for my swimming than 600 yards in one shot.

Edited by marysia83 2016-06-08 10:10 AM
2016-06-08 10:12 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by LarchmontTri After reading this thread, I still don't understand why everyone is so negative on a long swim set every once in a while. For all of us weekend warriors, knowing that you can swim the distance is a big confidence boost. Distance swim and upper back stamina is different on long sets than on short sets - why not test yourself sometimes to see test your fitness? If you want to finish and finish well, then long sets are ok imho. If you want to podium, then speed is more critical and perhaps short intense sets are better.....but that's probably not the majority of us. Yes, form drops off towards the end of a long set, but I'm sure everyone's run form drops off towards the end of a long run too. I just think folks are getting too caught up on things. Most of our swim training can be short sets, but swimming a long set is helpful too.

The difference is that your run form breaking down won't ingrain bad technique habits like your swim stroke breaking down will....and for swimming that's a big problem.

The truth is most people who do triathlon don't do good swim intervals because they are hard....done properly they are REALLY hard.  It's much easier to "see how far I can go".

Long swims can be hard too though. If I'm doing anything over 400m, then it is going to be a time trial. I did 1,500 yesterday and it was rough. But I enjoyed the heck out of it. I can't imagine it didn't help, both physically as well as gaining mental fortitude. There is a huge difference between gutting out 100 m repeats knowing that you're getting a break (even if it is only 5 seconds) vs redlining for 20 minutes.
2016-06-08 10:42 AM

Agree on the difficulty of intervals, but in terms of "seeing how far I can go", there is alot of truth to that imho, especially for HIM or IM swims. Doing alot of short distance intervals will help with endurance, form/technique and the like, but if you signed-up for a HIM or IM, you have to distance swim too. Once you're out in the middle of the lake, there's no wall, no breaks, no intervals....it's about a long continuous swim, so you have to train like you race. Your form will suffer over the race distance, so it's important to get used to that in training first so you can be as efficient as you can on race day. Long distance stamina is important too.

At the end of the day, swim training needs to be a mix of short-distance interval and long-distance training, and each person must decide how much of each to do. For me, I go with 50:50.

2016-06-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

Long swims can be hard too though. If I'm doing anything over 400m, then it is going to be a time trial. I did 1,500 yesterday and it was rough. But I enjoyed the heck out of it. I can't imagine it didn't help, both physically as well as gaining mental fortitude. There is a huge difference between gutting out 100 m repeats knowing that you're getting a break (even if it is only 5 seconds) vs redlining for 20 minutes.

Yeah....the main difference being 90% of people who do triathlon can't hold their form for 1500 all out so they don't learn to swim.

2016-06-08 10:59 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by LarchmontTri At the end of the day, swim training needs to be a mix of short-distance interval and long-distance training, and each person must decide how much of each to do. For me, I go with 50:50.

And all anyone here is saying is that if your goal is to be a better swimmer/triathlete, then you are doing far too much long-distance in your mix to be optimal.  If you just want to 'survive' the swim and enjoy yourself, then whatever 'works' for you is fine.  

2016-06-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

I've been doing roughly half of my swimming as "longer" sets for several years now. You have me rethinking.

In the pool, if I swim 2500 meters total I usually do at least a 700 or 800 meter swim. My reasoning has always been that when I do 100m, 200m or even 300m, my shoulders and arms never get anywhere as tired as they do for 500-800 meter straight swims. As the season goes on, the shoulder and arm fatigue during long sets diminishes, like I'm acclimating to those long sets. I think of it like marathon training--start with a 10 miler as a long run and by the end work up to a 20 miler. And then spend the other portion of the time on shorter drills. Guess I'm trying to understand how that's not beneficial to do on a weekly basis?

And in OWS, how do you do drills? Do you just stop in the middle of the water as though you were stopping at the wall and base it on time rather than distance since GPS on the swim is usually not super accurate?

If you're doing an oly let's say, don't you always include one run per week that's at least 6 miles, and at least one bike per week that's 25 miles or more? Doesn't the same apply to the swim?
2016-06-08 1:05 PM
in reply to: Fitnessgurl

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Fitnessgurl I've been doing roughly half of my swimming as "longer" sets for several years now. You have me rethinking. In the pool, if I swim 2500 meters total I usually do at least a 700 or 800 meter swim. My reasoning has always been that when I do 100m, 200m or even 300m, my shoulders and arms never get anywhere as tired as they do for 500-800 meter straight swims. As the season goes on, the shoulder and arm fatigue during long sets diminishes, like I'm acclimating to those long sets. I think of it like marathon training--start with a 10 miler as a long run and by the end work up to a 20 miler. And then spend the other portion of the time on shorter drills. Guess I'm trying to understand how that's not beneficial to do on a weekly basis? And in OWS, how do you do drills? Do you just stop in the middle of the water as though you were stopping at the wall and base it on time rather than distance since GPS on the swim is usually not super accurate? If you're doing an oly let's say, don't you always include one run per week that's at least 6 miles, and at least one bike per week that's 25 miles or more? Doesn't the same apply to the swim?

Training for an oly, you should try to do some main sets that are at least 1500m.  But that 1500m does not have to be a straight swim (e.g., could be 15x100, 30x50, 5x50/10x100/5x50, or countless other combos).  And, as people have been pointing out in this thread, it should probably not be a straight swim most of the time.

2016-06-08 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm a pretty new swimmer. I swim with masters class 3X/Wk. I've had tris this year that were 500 m and 1500 m ....and 2 OWS's that were 1 mi. and 1.2 mi. But, they were all wetsuit swims. Longest I've ever swam without a wetsuit is probably 800 m (before today). I have a tri with an ocean swim this coming weekend, and I was a little freaked out about it (I highly doubt it'll be a wetsuit swim).

So, I got up early and went to masters class and swam 2X the distance, this morning (continuous). Could have gone further, but didn't see the benefit.

Anxiety gone. I don't think it did anything for me, other than overcoming a mental obstacle. It was actually less taxing than I thought it would be. But, I was also by myself in a pool lane . For people just getting their sea legs.....I think there's a real benefit to doing a long swim every now and then. But, I honestly don't think I'll do another one until maybe a month before my HIM.....and that'll be an OWS of 2X that distance. My HIM has never NOT been wetsuit legal, though. So, it's likely overkill.

Thanks for all the replies. Good stuff.
2016-06-08 1:24 PM

Sarasota, Florida
This is where I question it. If I can do 15x100 on 2:00 with 10 second breaks then that means I can swim 1500m straight? At what pace? I admit I'm usually too ambitious and say I'll do 10x100 on 2 but only do 3x100 on 2 take a 2 minute break then finish the last 7 on 2:15. I might improve some over weeks of this then I'll do a time trial to 1,000 and run into new problemsI never had before. It seems to me you should go over your target distance or maybe this is just because I suck.
2016-06-08 1:28 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing long swims - if done correctly. 

In fact, the newer a swimmer you are, the more important it is for you to gain the confidence to do the race distance swim at effort by practicing similar or overlength long continuous swims without rests. 

There reasons the broken sets like 20 x 100 is recommended as a workout staple instead for the 1 x 2000 is that:

1. Most AG triathletes/swimmers will slack off a lot more during the 1 x 2000 and not even know it, as they'll just hit their watch at the end. You're much more accountable to holding a strong pace on the 20 x 100 where you check the clock on each sendoff and return. And because of the more steady pacing on the 10 x 200 due to the clocked intervals, you'll learn to swim at correct steady pacing rather than the typical start-fast->end-slow that you'll incorrectly practice if doing only long steady swims with one or two timed checkpoints.

2. An understated reason for why team and club competitive swimmers train with these intervals all the time, as opposed to pretty much any other endurance sport, is the logistics of sharing lanes. With 3 swimmers in a lane, even small pace differences mean the fast guy will probably lap the slowest guy at some point in a long 2000+ swim. Whereas the fast swimmer can still hammer it and not overlap the slow guy on a 10 x 200 with the same sendoff (fast guy gets more rest time, but is offset by the faster swim pace.) It's also more motivating and competitive to have people near each other as is the case on the start of each interval sendoff.

3. The logistics of tracking laps and pace times for 2000+ swims is a lot more annoying than the simplicity of a 20 x 100 on a fixed sendoff, even if nobody is sharing lanes. Especially in a group setting where there might be 20+ swimmers to monitor. 

4. Some argument to be made for better neuromuscular technique training due to the slightly faster pace on the 20 x 100 vs 2000, but I think this is overstated for most AG triathletes. If you can actually pace the 2000 straight correctly (for example, I'll do the 2000 straight but I hit the lap button on every 100 to make sure I'm pacing it dead-on through), it's a pretty much identical workout to the 20 x  100 with small stops given fair pacing for each.   It's just that the 2000 is easier to misexecute (esp for self-training AGers), so it's prob better to do more of the intervals as your regular pool workout.

I actually believe that for most newer or slower AG triathlete swimmers, the long swim can be particularly important in that it really forces you to NOT hang onto that wall too long during the rest breaks. It's far more common for these AG swimmers to start slacking off by hanging onto the wall for extra rest at the tail end of a tough 10 x 200 set, thus short-circuiting their workout juts as it's giving them the most benefit.  For sure, I've seen quite a few aspiring AG triathlete-swimmers from whom I'd say that doing mostly long 2000+ sets for awhile would help them more than a 10 x 200, as they seem to never be able to finish a 10 x 200 at the correct pace - they give up way too easily and sit out too many of the crucial final intervals when they're well within their ability to suffer. 

Edited by yazmaster 2016-06-08 1:30 PM

2016-06-08 1:47 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by runtim23

If I can do 15x100 on 2:00 with 10 second breaks then that means I can swim 1500m straight?

yes

At what pace?

At least 2:00/100.  Probably a bit faster.

I admit I'm usually too ambitious and say I'll do 10x100 on 2 but only do 3x100 on 2 take a 2 minute break then finish the last 7 on 2:15.

Don't do this!  Start out at on 2:05 or 2:10 (or 2:15 if that is really the right interval for you).  Ideally, you want to swim at nearly the same pace (and have the same amount of rest) on each rep.  Of course, the last rep will feel harder because you are more tired.

I might improve some over weeks of this then I'll do a time trial to 1,000 and run into new problemsI never had before. It seems to me you should go over your target distance or maybe this is just because I suck.

You don't suck.  You just haven't trained sufficiently to be fast.  Welcome to the club.  Now get in the pool and swim hard!  :-)

2016-06-08 6:00 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Thanks JohnnyKay, and gary p for the baseline and yazmaster for the informative post.
I just like to think of it as I suck until I reach my goals which is to average FOP for the overall tri and after a recent post picked a pace of 1:45/100 as my goal.

Edited by runtim23 2016-06-08 6:07 PM
2016-06-08 6:53 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Newtown, Pennsylvania
So maybe I can some advice here. I am new to this whole swimming thing and need some advice. Last week I did 15 x 100 on 2:20 SI. This was based on what I thought was my T-pace based on testing. I ended up finishing around 1:50 on each one, and think that I should maybe reduce the amount of rest between, or increase the number of reps.

Which would make more sense for me to do, based fact that I am racing on Oly in July and August, and a 70.3 in September?

Thanks for any insights....
2016-06-08 7:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bjklemmer So maybe I can some advice here. I am new to this whole swimming thing and need some advice. Last week I did 15 x 100 on 2:20 SI. This was based on what I thought was my T-pace based on testing. I ended up finishing around 1:50 on each one, and think that I should maybe reduce the amount of rest between, or increase the number of reps. Which would make more sense for me to do, based fact that I am racing on Oly in July and August, and a 70.3 in September? Thanks for any insights....

Drop your rest first, the time to the wall (your speed) will follow.  It's a process and it takes quite a bit of time, so don't drop big junks as you find your sweet spot.  5 seconds MAX.  But if you are holding 1:50 for each then you likely have way too much rest because your time is not falling off.  Done properly, you should have less rest as the workout goes on, not built in, but because you're struggling a bit more as the effort gets longer. 

I used to watch my kid as he learned to swim do 100 X 20 on 1:05...SCY.  The first 5 or so he'd hit the wall at :51-:53.  By 15 - 20 he was hitting the wall in a minute and only getting 5 seconds rest.  The intensity needs to stay up......even as the rest falls off. 

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-08 7:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long swim frequency Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Long run frequency???

Started by chevy57
Views: 2932 Posts: 23

2010-03-08 11:16 AM JorgeM

Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times

Started by Ershk
Views: 905 Posts: 3

2009-06-16 10:37 AM famelec

Swimming improvement - frequency or duration

Started by jackjack
Views: 1553 Posts: 19

2007-09-13 3:00 PM SevenZulu

Swim breathing frequency

Started by bertvl
Views: 850 Posts: 8

2007-04-01 8:34 AM jwright44

IM long run length and frequency

Started by Trainer
Views: 920 Posts: 4

2005-12-18 7:01 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.

date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.