General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beating the heat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-07 9:05 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Beating the heat
As temperatures have been rising, I've noticed during a couple of bricks that my HR is higher than usual by the time I start running. The only way to bring it down has been to slow down or cool off.

I was wondering if any of you have any strategies you implement during a race for keeping cool, or well, less hot?

I plan to toss water on my head at water stations, but I'm running a sprint this weekend and there are only a couple on the run course (which is more than I would have expected). I thought about taking a water bottle along filled with water as cold as I can keep it and just squirting it over my head and torso every so often, but wasn't sure if it's worth hauling it along.

Thoughts?

2016-06-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Beating the heat

I've always heard that pouring water on one's head actually increases heat. I'm skeptical. There was a thread over at slow twitch debating this, too. Might be worth exploring a bit.

Not that it helps now, but I've found that training in heat for a period of time really helps. And, sports drink throughout the week leading up to the event.

Edited by LundyLund 2016-06-07 9:45 AM
2016-06-07 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Frigid temperatures drenchings only temporarily cool you down, The blood vessels near your skin shut down, trap heat inside your body, and cause an outpouring of perspiration.

However - it is not likely that water on route would be at these low temps (think cold shower) so they could help - Its the route I took in IM Vichy last year, when it was dam hot

Edited by WildWill 2016-06-07 9:46 AM
2016-06-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by LundyLund

I've always heard that pouring water on one's head actually increases heat. I'm skeptical. There was a thread over at slow twitch debating this, too. Might be worth exploring a bit.

Not that it helps now, but I've found that training in heat for a period of time really helps. And, sports drink throughout the week leading up to the event.

Water over your head will not increase heat. It's basically the same as your body's method to cool down - evaporative cooling. your body generates sweat to do it.

Your body will do what it can to keep its core temperature from rising, increasing your heart rate for more blood flow, increase the sweat, tells you to slow down.

It's your core that needs to stay cool, during hot races on the run I put ice in my tri suit- chest and back.
2016-06-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: mike761

Sarasota, Florida
Slow down and sweat a lot. Bright colors. I kind of prefer cotton because it holds so much sweat. I was always told to keep water off the head because it will heat more once the sun hits it.
2016-06-07 11:41 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Sprints are tough since they are so short, but for longer races I usually wear a white hat, put ice in it whenever I can, and I also run with ice in my hands.

2016-06-07 3:18 PM

When it gets hot outside I will dump ice down the front of my tri suit, getting the ice close to the femeral artery. It is shockingly refreshing also.
2016-06-07 11:57 PM

User image

Ventura, California
I live in the desert and temps are already hitting the 100's. My normal running times will slow down from 9:30 all the way down to 11:30 on longer runs. Not much you can really do. On shorter runs you can push hard to get through, but as mentioned your heart rate will be elevated and pushing against your body can be dangerous in excessive heat.Watch for signs of dehydration and any dizziness should be a clue to stop running.

I have tried the water on the head and while it feels good it does not really seem to equate to faster running, lowered heart rate or of any real benefit. Matter of fact the water pours down the shirt and makes it heavier rubbing the nipples raw. Every hot long distance race I have pictures of my bloody nipples. So in the future I may forgo the temptation to throw water on myself during hot runs.

Honestly just more time training in the heat will help the body adapt and times will improve, but yes expect times to slow and HR to go up. Last summer I got to the point I could run 8 miles in 100* heat without a sip of water like a camel.

Right now I am in my own transition, my mind and body does not want to go out and run in the heat. My weekly running has dropped from 15 miles a week to 3.5-8 miles. I need to break the barrier and get my butt motivated and get back out there! Today at work it was 108 in the shop! I left early as it was impossible to work in that heat.

Best Wishes on beating the heat!
2016-06-08 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Pouring water over your head/body or putting ice down your shirt or whatever does nothing to actually cool your core temperature.  Not enough water or ice spread over enough space to make a difference.

It might make you feel better for a few seconds but nothing more.  You would need to be immersed in ice or cold water for an extended period of time or wear some high tech water cooling vest that basically hasn't been invented yet but if it had it would be way too bulky, heavy, and expensive.

It's physiology.  The only way to really beat the heat in racing or training, especially if you are actually suffering, is to slow down or stop.

2016-06-08 9:17 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by rjcalhoun I live in the desert and temps are already hitting the 100's.

Yea but it's a dry heat! 

2016-06-09 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe ice or water on the skin does not lower your core temperature but hey, if it makes you feel better, go for it! Lots of experience here training and racing in the heat. In a sprint, if cold water were available, I would definitely pour some on myself. Taking a water bottle probably won't work for cooling, as it will get warm in transition. Maybe not bother with head but go for the back of the neck. If they have ice, put it down your tri top,on the back of your neck, in your hands, even in your shorts (femoral artery) I wouldn't do it in a sprint because I'd choke, but in a longer race, I actually put it in my mouth and suck it. Plus drink cold water if it is offered. In my mind, anything that makes you "feel" cooler is useful--dark sunglasses, light colors, ice, high tech cooling fabrics, etc.

Once you are acclimated, you can actually do okay in the heat- (though still slower than in temperate conditions). Every year at Kona, for example, there are world-class performances, even though it's not the fastest race for most athletes. It's a matter of carefully monitoring your body, and distinguishing between simple discomfort (I'm hotter than I would like to be) and actual problems (I'm going to pass out/puke/die). Dealing with some of the discomfort when you can makes that easier to do. Heart rate can be a good guide if you have used it in training and know your body's "danger zone", as opposed to a level you can handle for a while, just not comfortably.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-06-09 7:51 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beating the heat Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing the Beat the Heat Tri in Daytona Nov 10th?

Started by Jason_TriHards
Views: 459 Posts: 1

2013-11-06 3:45 PM Jason_TriHards

Beat the Heat in Scottsdale 11k

Started by jdl2012
Views: 784 Posts: 7

2013-06-23 7:59 PM BuckHamilton

2-beat, 4-beat, 6-beat, (cha cha cha)?

Started by runningmon
Views: 810 Posts: 8

2013-05-14 6:00 AM TheClaaaw

Beat Beethoven 8k

Started by keepitup
Views: 723 Posts: 3

2004-06-05 12:15 PM Ron

two beat kick and triathlon shorts

Started by drrebecca
Views: 1341 Posts: 9

2004-03-29 10:32 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : April 2, 2006
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.