General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ANT+ Bike Computers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-08 8:12 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: ANT+ Bike Computers
I've recently made the financial mistake of getting my wife into cycling. We got her a bike and a PM is on the way, however she has a Garmin Vivo Active watch, so it's not compatible with power meters. There is an app we downloaded that allows her to see power readings but it doesn't save the data or upload it to garmin connect. So, in an effort for me to have to come to complete terms with the fact that she hopped on a bike and took a 20 minute test and is a category higher than me with absolutely zero training (on my bike on a trainer), I need to get her a computer for her bike. So....what are the most economical options for a bike computer that is: A. ANT+ compatible (we're getting her a stages PM) B. Garmin connect compatible C. these are the only two things we need, so as cheap as it gets, I'm already going down the rabbit hole on this one?

2016-06-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: ANT+ Bike Computers

Used Garmin Edge 500.  People are practically giving these things away nowadays, and I still think it's the best bike computer out there when it comes to functionality and form factor.

2016-06-10 7:52 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
If you or her have a Samsung phone (possibly others with ANT+ tech, not sure, I know my Galaxy S6 works) there is an app called IpBike that I use that is pretty good. I haven't played with it enough to know how to upload and dive through the data, but I know it can be linked right to Strava, TrainingPeaks and a couple other 3rd party software and it can read power. It's actually a pretty slick app.

http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php?page=ipbike
2016-06-10 8:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

Used Garmin Edge 500.  People are practically giving these things away nowadays, and I still think it's the best bike computer out there when it comes to functionality and form factor.

^^^  This.......We have 2 of them.....ZERO issues ever.  Plus, I don't think you can beat Garmin's customer service.  My kid cracked the screen on his Garmin Vivio watch.  He e-mailed Garmin regarding fixing it and in the e-mail he wrote about all of the Garmin products he owns and what a fan he is of their gear.  They gave him a customer service, shipping number, told him that the damage was not covered under warranty, and then told him as a one time courtesy they would fix it. 

He sent the watch in and yesterday the mailman brought him a new in the box replacement watch....no charge. 

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-10 8:24 AM
2016-06-10 8:29 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

^^^  This.......We have 2 of them.....ZERO issues ever.  Plus, I don't think you can beat Garmin's customer service.  My kid cracked the screen on his Garmin Vivio watch.  He e-mailed Garmin regarding fixing it and in the e-mail he wrote about all of the Garmin products he owns and what a fan he is of their gear.  They gave him a customer service, shipping number, told him that the damage was not covered under warranty, and then told him as a one time courtesy they would fix it. 

He sent the watch in and yesterday the mailman brought him a new in the box replacement watch....no charge. 

x3, I just got one and I love it

2016-06-10 8:37 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks guys. I grabbed a Garmin 500 off of ebay.

2016-06-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Left Brain

x3, I just got one and I love it

X4
2016-06-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

yeah, the edge 500 is everything she'll need.  Including the ability to set FTP and display the slew of power centric metrics (TSS, IF, etc)  it's a venerable device.

mine's been solid for many years.  my only complaint is the while the new devices do satellite date pre-load and lock up really quickly, my edge 500 sometimes takes a couple minutes.  And, I need to wait for it, as if it doesn't lock up prior to moving, it has a really difficult time once I'm in motion.

but- it's the right choice.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ANT+ Bike Computers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ant+ display for the bike?

Started by Bradleykd
Views: 1121 Posts: 3

2013-08-07 4:53 PM julio26pt2

Iphone App - Ant+ / Powermeter Display

Started by harleyclone
Views: 1692 Posts: 3

2012-10-31 7:39 PM wolfador

Favorite ANT+ computer for speed and cadence only?

Started by danjstark
Views: 3240 Posts: 8

2010-11-13 5:27 PM m2tx

Ant+ powered cadence thingy?

Started by sdanaher
Views: 925 Posts: 3

2010-08-16 8:47 AM dcrainmaker

Need an ANT+ compatible computer

Started by lurker93
Views: 3654 Posts: 4

2009-10-20 12:25 PM cusetri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.