General Discussion Race Reports! » Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oliver, British Columbia
Canada
Outback Events
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 15s
Overall Rank = 56/57
Age Group = M65-69
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Woke up on time without an alarm clock. Got dressed, loaded the car, had breakfast and then drove to the race location.
Event warmup:

No actual warm-up just got my wetsuit on and got in the water to acclimate. Except for a short swim the day before this was my first open water swim of the year.
Swim
  • 34m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim started out well but I had a bit of trouble settling into the swim. The first 375m was into the sun and I couldn't see anything but splashing. I kept pulling myself over to the right and I had to keep correcting my swim direction. I was breathing hard coming out of the water to run around a pilon then around and back into the water for the second loop.
I must have finally warmed up because the second loop felt faster and easier. I was even catching up to a few swimmers. I came oout of the water feeling much better than after the first loop.
What would you do differently?:

I was slower than typical for me so I do need to get in the water and get used to OWS again. Work on my strength for the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 26s
Comments:

I wasted time with socks and for not being organized.

I need to practice my transitions. I'm sure I can save a few minutes here.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 25s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.84 km/hr
Comments:

For most of the bike ride I felt I was pushing hard except for the hill climbs which slowed me down to barely faster than a walk. The hills weren't so bad in themselves. I am just terrible at climbing them.
I started seeing the same people on our two loop course and it was easy to encourage them on.

I need to get stronger on hill climbing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

T2 was relatively quick and my rack was near the exit so I was out of transition fairly quickly.

Just do everything faster.
Run
  • 1h 22m 5s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 13s  min/km
Comments:

By this time in the race the heat was on and there was no shade anywhere. We were running on hot asphalt and there was no relief from the heat anywhere Just keep going.
The first loop was hard and as I turned to run back out it was a slow run back up the hill but it didn't feel so bad and I was able to run much better than I had been. The second loop was easier and faster. I felt stronger in spite of the heat.
I passed a fellow doing his first triathlon ever and I told him I'd meet him at the finish line to congratulate him.
In the last half km I was running faster and felt like a real runner (if only I could have run like this for the whole 10K). I ran up to the finish line and felt great. I coped well with the heat and enjoyed the whole race.

I need to get stronger on the run. I was very slow on the first loop but the second loop felt so much better. I'm hoping the second loop is a glimpse of improvements that are coming.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line feeling strong and found my wife and gave her a big hug. Then I hit the food tent for some watermelon. I love watermelon!! and had some pastries. The volunteers assured me they baked them just for me. I didn't care, they tasted real good after all the liquids.

Then I went to the finish line and waited for the new triathlete. His wife was concerned about him until we saw him coming down to the finish line. Felt pretty good to congratulate him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of warm open water swimming and then intense heat without a chance to acclimate slowed me down.

Event comments:

For my Age Group I won a free entry for this race in 2017 so I'm going to do it again. It is a good local race and it would be better if there were more participants. This is a very good race for beginners and experienced athletes as well.
Lots of athletes run the Olympic on Saturday then the Oliver Half on Sunday.

Last updated: 2016-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:21 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/57
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy
Course: Two loops.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:25 | 40 kms | 26.84 km/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:22:05 | 10 kms | 08m 13s  min/km
Course: Two loops with some good hill climbing in the first km.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-06-08 11:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by peby
Views: 932 Posts: 1

2012-06-18 10:33 AM peby

Started by Kelownagirl
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2011-05-21 11:54 AM Kelownagirl

Started by lashart
Views: 1352 Posts: 3

2011-05-24 12:48 AM lashart

Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Lukasz
Views: 1139 Posts: 3

2011-05-18 5:41 PM Lukasz

Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon

Started by cyberdo
Views: 799 Posts: 1

2007-08-14 2:09 PM cyberdo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.